I, Vampire by Michael Romkey

I, Vampire (1990)

by Michael Romkey

Terrible tacky vampire cheese. Dated, circa mid-80s. Overblown and campy. You might not be able to admit to yourself how much you are enjoying it. And wow, is it terrible. In the best possible ways. ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
I felt it was a middle-of-the-road reimagining of the vampire mythos. Not bad, but also not as stirring as, say, Anne Rice's work.

I think my biggest issue is the characterization of our main protagonist. He is too vanilla/bland/nice guy-ish. I felt his emotions much better before he became a vampire. Romkey did an excellent job visualizing his life's setting and turmoil. But after the transformation it felt too detached, emotionally. It was fascinating, learning about vampirism as he goes along, but not as gripping.

I also got a sour taste near the end with the whole "walking in sunshine" thing. That just makes the Illuminati too, um, sparkly (alluding to the "good" vampires of Meyer's Twilight). ( )
  Penforhire | Mar 14, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449146383, Mass Market Paperback)

From yesterday to a hundred years ago, he lives in the world and walks among us. He enjoys the finest things in life, including beautfiul women, well-aged wine, and the finest classical composers. He has no guilt -- he has no need of it. Neither good, nor bad, neither angel nor devil, he is a man, he is a vampire. And this is his story....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:28 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,239,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible