It Was Me All Along: A Memoir by Andie…

It Was Me All Along: A Memoir (edition 2015)

by Andie Mitchell (Author)

1971389,204 (3.73)5
Member:JenJSan
Title:It Was Me All Along: A Memoir
Authors:Andie Mitchell (Author)
Info:Clarkson Potter (2015), Edition: First Edition, 240 pages

It Was Me All Along: A Memoir by Andie Mitchell

Ruby's Diary: Reflections on All I've Lost and Gained by Ruby Gettinger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These candid memoirs track the authors' struggles with their weight. In both cases, there were emotional and psychological causes behind their unhealthy relationships with food, which are revealed honestly, as is the support each received from friends.… (more)

Loved it! Highly relatable, insightful, and inspirational! ( )
  merrittfamily1990 | May 1, 2018 |
The author clearly adores food, and it shows in her detailed and delectable-sounding descriptions. But her relationship with food veered through binging, emotional eating, and severe restriction. My favorite parts were related to the journey of healing her food addiction. However, this is only about 30% of the book. The rest is a coming-of-age story in a family with addictive behaviors. I would have been happy with less excruciating detail in that part of the book. ( )
  TheBibliophage | Mar 20, 2018 |
For my 2018 New Year’s resolution, I made an easy one; one that I know I could accomplish. Once a month, I would grab a book that’s been lingering on my shelf for ages, sometimes years.

My pick for January was this memoir, and now that I’ve read it, I could kick myself for not having read it sooner.

I can’t remember how old Andie was when a doctor told her that if she didn’t change her eating habits, that she would weigh 300 pounds by the time she was 20 years old. The doc wasn’t far off; she topped the scale at 268 pounds.

Suffering a lonely and miserable childhood, Andie found comfort in food. The anecdotes of her binge-eating were heartbreaking. When she went to college, she found some acceptance, but college life only added more pounds. Her agonizing tales of exercise and diet were equally as heartbreaking.

The focus of how Andie managed to lose 135 pounds is captivating. Readers watch her learn to eats healthier, yet still have most of the foods she craved. The key is movement and moderation.

I was completely fascinated by Andie’s story. .It was Me All Along receives 6 out of 5 stars in Julie’s world. ( )
  juliecracchiolo | Feb 9, 2018 |
Nobody's story can be wrong just because it is different from yours. That person may make different choices and therefore obtain different results, plus their personalities, values, support system, etc come into play.

I fight daily with a 33 year ED and her happily ever after is not mine nor is ever likely to be especially as I am double her age and struggled much longer.

I am happy she is a true success story in her private and professional life, that she has a supportive mother, a load of friends, co-workers who love her and value her. Good for her !

Just not all of us have it that way. ( )
  REINADECOPIAYPEGA | Jan 11, 2018 |
It Was Me All Along is not an easy read. It’s difficult to journey through someone else’s childhood trauma and grown emotional struggles. Having been obese, I know that a lot of the problem is emotional, closely associated with family dysfunction. Although I’ve had the book for months, I put off reading it for fear of reliving my own struggles.

The author successfully conveys her hurt, loneliness, and obsession with food. It concerns me how vividly she describes and recalls what she ate in the book. I mistakenly thought that her story would begin on an inspirational high note, explaining who she is now and then reflecting on her life before. However, instead the book is a chronological emotionally exhausting memoir not for the faint of heart.

If you have struggled with your weight, some of the book will be like holding a mirror up to your face. It’s certainly good to feel you’re not alone. I only wish it had focused more on the positive end result. Overall, it’s a good read to learn more about what many obese children and adults face everyday.

I was given a copy of this book via Blogging for Books for an honest review.
  vonze | Sep 19, 2017 |
I was trying to lose weight on the surface, but deeper, I was acknowledging that I’d been wrong for sixteen years and had to work to right myself. How do you walk away from all you’ve ever been?

All her life, Mitchell had eaten lustily and mindlessly. Food was her babysitter, her best friend, her confidant, and it provided a refuge from her fractured family. But when she stepped on the scale on her twentieth birthday and it registered a shocking 268 pounds, she knew she had to change the way she thought about food and herself: her life was at stake. She tells us how she discovered balance in an off-kilter world, finding beauty in acceptance and learning to love all parts of herself.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,873,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible