The terrible and wonderful reasons why I run…

The terrible and wonderful reasons why I run long distances (edition 2014)

by Matthew Inman

Member:tardis
Title:The terrible and wonderful reasons why I run long distances
Authors:Matthew Inman
Info:Kansas City, MO : Andrews McMeel Pub., LLC, 2014.
Tags:running, graphic novel, humour

The Terrible and Wonderful Reasons Why I Run Long Distances by The Oatmeal

Meh not one of my favorites. Was hoping there would be comic panels like his other books. ( )
  booklover3258 | May 2, 2019 |
So many dang F words. I loved the first part. I really hate running and have never, nor will ever experience the rush that he does while running. I could almost pretend I enjoyed it while I read though.
This seriously has made me get so fed up with language though. I am kind of mad at myself for finishing it. I am going back to my two f-word limit. As soon as that #2 is dropped, I am going to put the book down. There are a LOT of really good words you can use instead. The world has forgotten how to use them. ( )
  mollypitchermary | Oct 11, 2017 |
I love everything about this book. If you run, read it. ( )
  michelleannlib | Jul 25, 2017 |
I've been kind of familiar with the Oatmeal webcomic for some years, had always enjoyed it but not really followed it. I also started running about three and a half years ago, and The Terrible and Wonderful Reasons Why I Run Long Distances really talks to me. In his rather surreal, disjointed, text-light style, Matt Inman writes about why he runs - not through vanity or a desire for athleticism or health (although all these are, undoubtedly, drivers that are there in the complex motivations that power us all) but so he can stuff his face with crap, and as a displacement activity, so he can feel he has achieved something, and to keep ahead of the noise and busyness of the world and the constant temptation to simply stop and lie on the sofa and eat nachos.

This book is funny and touching and strangely profound for such a brief tome. Inman beautifully captures the struggle against laziness and the addiction of running, the runner's high and the way it feels to leave the world behind when he runs.

I read this grinning and nodding along. If you're a runner you should read it, if you're not you should read it to get some understanding of us weirdos who are. ( )
  Pezski | Jun 8, 2017 |
I cannot, cannot, cannot stress how frigging funny this "comic*" is. I found it while searching for something completely (and I do mean completely different), but sooo happy I found it. In a nutshell, it's the illustrated running biography of Matthew Inman, better known by his comic name, the Oatmeal. But, he's not your typical athlete. When he runs he's chased by a "fat cherub" he calls the Blerch (the little voice in your head that convinces you you're better off sleeping in or eating cake or both, maybe even at the same time). And speaking of cake, Inman is not immune to food addiction. He runs so that he can eat "like a fast moving dumpster" (p 18). His words, not mine. See what I mean? Funny. There's more: slaying kraken, being vain, running from Giant Sparrow Bees in the mountains of Japan, tips on running a marathon, even race stickers. And more. Kid you not. I had more laugh-out-loud moments than I knew what to do with. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Jan 7, 2016 |

The Oatmealprimary authorall editionscalculated
Inman, Matthewmain authorall editionsconfirmed

From the New York Times best-selling author Matthew Inman, aka "The Oatmeal", comes this collection of comics and stories about running, eating, napping, and one cartoonist's reasons for running across mountains until his toenails fall off. Contains over 70 pages of never-before-seen comics.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,861,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible