dismiss

Persuasion by Jane Austen

Persuasion (1817)

by Jane Austen

22,694437104 (4.22)1 / 1442
The last novel completed by Jane Austen before she died in her early forties, Persuasion is often thought to be the story of the author's own lost love. The book's heroine, Anne Elliot, encounters Frederick Wentworth, the man to whom she was once engaged when he was a young naval officer. Now a captain, Wentworth is courting the rash young Louisa Musgrove. The happy ending is not one in which Austen would ever play a part.… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, stowne385, adbohm, j_tuffi, Luis_Castrillo, rbmfs, njcur, Michele5, rena40
Legacy LibrariesBarbara Pym, Leslie Scalapino, C. S. Lewis
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: In addition to North and South by Gaskell, Wives and Daughters is another great read for people who love Austen's Persusion and Sense and Sensibility!
    The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: This is by no means an obvious recommendation. However, the quality of writing and something of the heroines' characters is similar. The heroines of these two books are both under-appreciated members of their families, who are thought beyond any chance of marriage. They are both forced by circumstance to find courage that they didn't know they possessed and they are rewarded with eventual happiness.… (more)
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (Anonymous user)
    Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange (mzackin)
    mzackin: This is the story of persuasion told from the other side. It is very well written and stays true to the story, even quoting lines from Austen.
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Slow, languid stories about regret and life choices not understood until they've passed by.
    The Course of Honour by Lindsey Davis (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Mature lovers who find that time brings them together and push them apart over the course of many years.
    The Old House at Railes by Mary Emily Pearce (sferguson)
    sferguson: A great book that will be enjoyed by those who are interested in a bit of non-standard romance.
    Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding (spygirl)
    spygirl: Helen Fielding's first novel Bridget Jones's Diary was a remake of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The sequel, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason is a remake of Austen's Persuasion.
Elevenses (134)
1810s (5)

English (415)  Spanish (6)  Italian (4)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  All languages (437)
So many feelings. Nobody has ever pined as beautifully as Anne Elliot and Captain Wentworth. That letter at the end - I'm never getting over it. ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
I read “Persuasion” on a wave of enthusiasm for Jane Austen created by reading “The Jane Austen Project”. I’d never read the book before and knew nothing of its plot or its ending. I found that this ignorance significantly enhanced my enjoyment of this book about lovers frustrated by circumstance and the things that they have persuaded themselves of or have been persuaded of by well-meaning advisors..

I listened to the audiobook version read by Juliet Stevenson who delivered every line with an ease and confidence that made the whole book at once easily accessible and tantalisingly complex.

The clarity of the language, the dryness of the wit and the unhurried pace of the book all added to my enjoyment.

I was surprised at the vigour of the social commentary in the book. The vain and incompetent Baronet, who takes pride in looks he has convinced himself are not declining year by year and a rank he gained by birth but lacks the acumen to sustain in life is practically vivisected in the text, even though he is the father of the mild-mannered main character. There is also a spirited championing of the capabilities of women and the role that men play in disadvantaging the development and use of those capabilities.

Some of the novel is set in Bath, a city I lived in for many years, so I was amused to see references to streets that apart from the addition of traffic signs and double yellow lines, have remained unaltered since Jane Austen’s time. I used to live in the building occupied by the baddy of the plot. It was great fun to imagine these familiar streets populated by Regency sailors and a ladies so unused to exercise and so bound up in corsets that walking up Milsom Street was an achievement.

The story itself is rather unremarkable but achieves a considerable level of engagement in the lives of the protagonists for a plot built on so slight a premise. I enjoyed myself immensely and am now encouraged to move on to the rather more substantial “Emma”. ( )
  MikeFinnFiction | May 16, 2020 |
I read this in an annotated edition which provided some background regarding the Royal Navy, social customs and Bath that enriched the story for me. ( )
  PatsyMurray | Apr 26, 2020 |
Published in 1817 shortly before Austen's death, this novel is a satire on vanity and persuasion. It is also the story of missed opportunities and second chances. Anne Elliot is the middle of two sisters. Elizabeth, the oldest, is only concerned with her status in the community and that of her father who has been given the means to maintain his estate but fails to manage it. In the novel he must rent it out in order to keep it.

Anne is the protagonist and eight years earlier turned down the man she loved because her advisor told her he had no money and no prospects. Now he has returned a rich war hero and she is reluctant to approach him to tell him she still loves him. She has another rich gentleman suitor who seems to have it all but her warning bells suggest not all as it seems.

As the novel works its way to the denouement, we are treated to many foolish folk who judge others by their social and financial status and not on their character and as a result suffer indignities and failure because of their treatment of others.

A little wordy and slow going sometimes but generally a fun read. I did not enjoy this title as much as Pride and Prejudice. ( )
1 vote lamour | Apr 15, 2020 |
Previously published in Everyman's library with Northanger Abbey, 1906 ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 19, 2020 |
L'occasion de s'attacher aux amours empêchées d'une héroïne tout sauf résignée.
added by miniwark | editTélérama, Nathalie Crom (Jul 9, 2011)

Austen, Janeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Sir Walter Elliot, of Kellynch-hall, in Somersetshire, was a man who, for his own amusement, never took up any book but the Baronetage; there he found occupation for an idle hour, and consolation in a distressed one; there his faculties were roused into admiration and respect, by contemplating the limited remnant of the earliest patents; there any unwelcome sensations, arising from domestic affairs, changed naturally into pity and contempt.
On 8 August 1815, English newspapers took note of the departure for Saint Helena of HMS Northumberland and, with it, a prisoner. (Introduction)
She had been forced into prudence in her youth, she learned romance as she grew older: the natural sequel of an unnatural beginning.
Anne hoped she had outlived the age of blushing; but the age of emotion she certainly had not
I hate to hear you talking so like a fine gentleman, and as if women were all fine ladies, instead of rational creatures. We none of us expect to be in smooth water all our days
A man does not recover from such a devotion of the heart to such a woman! He ought not; he does not.
You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight and a half years ago. Dare not say that a man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant.
the isbn 0486295559 is associated withe Dover edition of persuasion, not the Norton Critical Edition

Anne Elliott, bullied or ignored by her father and sisters, relinquished her hopes of love when she was forced to reject Captain Wentworth. Now, years later, they meet again: he, prosperous and eligible, scarcely recognises the faded pretty woman. And she stays quietly in the background as he courts the lively and affectionate Louisa Musgrove. So why, when she joins her family in Bath, does Anne hesitate over the eminently suitable addresses paid to her by a distant cousin? And why does Captian Wentworth appear there too? While Jane Austen is here as quick as ever to ridicule self-importance, self-interest and cold-heartedness, while she tellingly contrasts the icy snobbery of the Elliots with the openness and warmth of Wentworth's naval friends, this novel has a tenderness and gravity which makes it unique among her works.

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439688, 0141028114, 0451530837, 0141045140, 0143106287, 0141197692, 0141198834

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 190917534X, 1909175358

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,491,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible