Persuasion by Jane Austen

Persuasion (1817)

by Jane Austen

17,76234397 (4.24)1 / 1153
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: In addition to North and South by Gaskell, Wives and Daughters is another great read for people who love Austen's Persusion and Sense and Sensibility!
    The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: This is by no means an obvious recommendation. However, the quality of writing and something of the heroines' characters is similar. The heroines of these two books are both under-appreciated members of their families, who are thought beyond any chance of marriage. They are both forced by circumstance to find courage that they didn't know they possessed and they are rewarded with eventual happiness.… (more)
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (Anonymous user)
    Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange (mzackin)
    mzackin: This is the story of persuasion told from the other side. It is very well written and stays true to the story, even quoting lines from Austen.
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Slow, languid stories about regret and life choices not understood until they've passed by.
    The Old House at Railes by Mary Emily Pearce (sferguson)
    sferguson: A great book that will be enjoyed by those who are interested in a bit of non-standard romance.
    Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding (spygirl)
    spygirl: Helen Fielding's first novel Bridget Jones's Diary was a remake of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The sequel, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason is a remake of Austen's Persuasion.

English (325)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (343)
Just because the novel marks what might've been a turning point for our author does not necessarily mean it was a terribly enjoyable novel. I do not think I will look back and remember the Elliots terribly well - except for the grace with which Austen writes her older main characters. Perhaps a longer period of revision might've lent the book more even tone and pace and form, but perhaps not. It doesn't matter though - it was, as I say, certainly not a bad novel. Just, for me, rather okay.

More at RB: http://ragingbiblioholism.com/2013/12/17/persuasion/ ( )
  drewsof | Sep 30, 2015 |
I love this book! It is my favorite Austen love story. I can never decide what Jane Austen book is my all-time favorite (it seems to change every time I re-read one), but Anne Elliot and Captain Wentworth are by far my favorite couple. I love them both, and love their story. I will continue re-reading this with love and pleasure for the rest of my life ( )
  Bduke | Sep 30, 2015 |
3.25 stars

Anne Elliot was in love with Frederick Wentworth, but because he was “below” her in social status, her family convinced her not to marry him. A number of years later, they cross paths again, and Anne still loves him. But does he still love her?

I am having a hard time writing a review. I wanted to like this one, I like the premise. The book was ok, but my mind wandered more than I would have liked. My favourites by Austen are P&P and Northanger Abbey. My least favourite is Emma. This one comes in near the bottom for me (but just a little better than Emma). I've read enough by Austen that I know her style of writing. It's not action-packed or anything, so I maybe I wasn't in the mood for it? ( )
  LibraryCin | Sep 28, 2015 |
A delightful read by the incomparable Jane Austen. Persuasion captures the complicated nature of the heart when it becomes entangled with social expectations, adding a nice touch of satire. ( )
  DoctorFate | Jul 30, 2015 |
This was so much better than I recalled. I read this over 30 years ago, and in my youth Anne Elliot lacked the luster and the humor of my beloved Lizzie Bennett. Fast forward to middle age and Anne is suddenly not just wise and good, but appealing and charming. A cross between Lizzie and Mary Bennett perhaps. I had forgotten how deliciously despicable were all the other members of the Elliot clan. Sir Walter gives Caroline Bingley and Fanny Dashwood a run for the best villain title. I just enjoyed the heck out of this book and it gave me what is now my favorite literary love letter: "You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope." Swoon ( )
  Narshkite | Jul 5, 2015 |
L'occasion de s'attacher aux amours empêchées d'une héroïne tout sauf résignée.
added by miniwark | editTélérama, Nathalie Crom (Jul 9, 2011)

Austen, Janeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Sir Walter Elliot, of Kellynch-hall, in Somersetshire, was a man who, for his own amusement, never took up any book but the Baronetage; there he found occupation for an idle hour, and consolation in a distressed one; there his faculties were roused into admiration and respect, by contemplating the limited remnant of the earliest patents; there any unwelcome sensations, arising from domestic affairs, changed naturally into pity and contempt.
She had been forced into prudence in her youth, she learned romance as she grew older: the natural sequel of an unnatural beginning.
the isbn 0486295559 is associated withe Dover edition of persuasion, not the Norton Critical Edition

Anne Elliott, bullied or ignored by her father and sisters, relinquished her hopes of love when she was forced to reject Captain Wentworth. Now, years later, they meet again: he, prosperous and eligible, scarcely recognises the faded pretty woman. And she stays quietly in the background as he courts the lively and affectionate Louisa Musgrove. So why, when she joins her family in Bath, does Anne hesitate over the eminently suitable addresses paid to her by a distant cousin? And why does Captian Wentworth appear there too? While Jane Austen is here as quick as ever to ridicule self-importance, self-interest and cold-heartedness, while she tellingly contrasts the icy snobbery of the Elliots with the openness and warmth of Wentworth's naval friends, this novel has a tenderness and gravity which makes it unique among her works.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439688, Paperback)

Anne Elliot, heroine of Austen's last novel, did something we can all relate to: Long ago, she let the love of her life get away. In this case, she had allowed herself to be persuaded by a trusted family friend that the young man she loved wasn't an adequate match, social stationwise, and that Anne could do better. The novel opens some seven years after Anne sent her beau packing, and she's still alone. But then the guy she never stopped loving comes back from the sea. As always, Austen's storytelling is so confident, you can't help but allow yourself to be taken on the enjoyable journey.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:35 -0400)

Twenty-seven-year old Anne Elliot is Austen's most adult heroine. Eight years before the story proper begins, she is happily betrothed to a naval officer, Frederick Wentworth, but she precipitously breaks off the engagement when persuaded by her friend La.… (more)

5 2043

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439688, 0141028114, 0451530837, 0141045140, 0143106287, 0141197692, 0141198834

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,757,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible