Persuasion by Jane Austen

Persuasion (1817)

by Jane Austen

17,261321100 (4.25)1 / 1064
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: In addition to North and South by Gaskell, Wives and Daughters is another great read for people who love Austen's Persusion and Sense and Sensibility!
    The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: This is by no means an obvious recommendation. However, the quality of writing and something of the heroines' characters is similar. The heroines of these two books are both under-appreciated members of their families, who are thought beyond any chance of marriage. They are both forced by circumstance to find courage that they didn't know they possessed and they are rewarded with eventual happiness.… (more)
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (Anonymous user)
    Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange (mzackin)
    mzackin: This is the story of persuasion told from the other side. It is very well written and stays true to the story, even quoting lines from Austen.
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Slow, languid stories about regret and life choices not understood until they've passed by.
    The Old House at Railes by Mary Emily Pearce (sferguson)
    sferguson: A great book that will be enjoyed by those who are interested in a bit of non-standard romance.
    Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding (spygirl)
    spygirl: Helen Fielding's first novel Bridget Jones's Diary was a remake of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The sequel, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason is a remake of Austen's Persuasion.

English (302)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (321)
As I'm writing this review, having read the book a while ago, I realize that her books may have different characters, but my memory of these novels confuses them all. This is not a good thing for an author to discover. Fortunately, Austen is dead.
Hey, I'm a guy and I like Jane Austen. So, sue me. She had a talent and, for her time, was adept at writing romances. Her novels were boilerplate romances - down-trodden female, in love with an unapproachable wealthy man, through a series of chance encounters the heroine finds love. Yeah, yeah. I've read 4 of her works but fortunately months apart so there was some break in continuity otherwise I would probably have the same opinion of her as Mark Twain. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
Read during Spring 2002

I think I choose the right time in my own life to read Persuasion, it seemed to speak to many of the feelings I've been having. I know that it was 'unfinished' but perhaps that is what I liked about it. I absolutely did not want it to end but I also couldn't stop reading it so I hurried on to finish it.

Reread Spring 2007

Sometimes, I think I can't have the indulgence of re-reading but I watched my lovely DVD of this and reread anyway. I think Persuasion is the most charming of Austen's novels and Anne her most sophisticated and complex heroine. All the characters are very finely drawn and the plot is subtle but draws me in. I think I might have to pull Mansfield Park (the only one I haven't read) higher up on the to read list.
  amyem58 | Jul 11, 2014 |
That I love Jane Austen many people know. But most don't know that I haven't yet read all of her books. I'm slowly starting to tackle that.

I didn't know anything about the story of Persuasion before I started reading, which makes it so much different from reading Sense and Sensibility or Emma or Mansfield Park. All in all, I really loved it. ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |
It's a bit presumptuous to rate Jane Austen on the same five point scale one uses for everyone else. But what can you do?

At the risk of seeming low brow, I still prefer Pride and Prejudice and Emma. But I do not begrudge Anne Elliot her much delayed happiness. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
Persuasion, Jane Austen's last novel, is one the most romantic by the author. The idea of unrequited love being rekindled may have come from Austen’s personal hopes¸ but who knows. When she writes of Anne’s discomfort at being in the same room when Captain Wentworth, her jilted lover, I can truly feel it. Persuasion isn’t my favorite (Sense & Sensibility), but I do love Anne Elliot. As with all of Austen’s novels, the boring parts are boring and the good parts are excellent. ( )
  LauraT81 | Jun 5, 2014 |

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Sir Walter Elliot, of Kellynch-hall, in Somersetshire, was a man who, for his own amusement, never took up any book but the Baronetage; there he found occupation for an idle hour, and consolation in a distressed one; there his faculties were roused into admiration and respect, by contemplating the limited remnant of the earliest patents; there any unwelcome sensations, arising from domestic affairs, changed naturally into pity and contempt.
She had been forced into prudence in her youth, she learned romance as she grew older: the natural sequel of an unnatural beginning.
the isbn 0486295559 is associated withe Dover edition of persuasion, not the Norton Critical Edition

Anne Elliott, bullied or ignored by her father and sisters, relinquished her hopes of love when she was forced to reject Captain Wentworth. Now, years later, they meet again: he, prosperous and eligible, scarcely recognises the faded pretty woman. And she stays quietly in the background as he courts the lively and affectionate Louisa Musgrove. So why, when she joins her family in Bath, does Anne hesitate over the eminently suitable addresses paid to her by a distant cousin? And why does Captian Wentworth appear there too? While Jane Austen is here as quick as ever to ridicule self-importance, self-interest and cold-heartedness, while she tellingly contrasts the icy snobbery of the Elliots with the openness and warmth of Wentworth's naval friends, this novel has a tenderness and gravity which makes it unique among her works.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439688, Paperback)

Anne Elliot, heroine of Austen's last novel, did something we can all relate to: Long ago, she let the love of her life get away. In this case, she had allowed herself to be persuaded by a trusted family friend that the young man she loved wasn't an adequate match, social stationwise, and that Anne could do better. The novel opens some seven years after Anne sent her beau packing, and she's still alone. But then the guy she never stopped loving comes back from the sea. As always, Austen's storytelling is so confident, you can't help but allow yourself to be taken on the enjoyable journey.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:47 -0400)

Twenty-seven-year old Anne Elliot is Austen's most adult heroine. Eight years before the story proper begins, she is happily betrothed to a naval officer, Frederick Wentworth, but she precipitously breaks off the engagement when persuaded by her friend La.… (more)

5 1969

Seven editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439688, 0141028114, 0451530837, 0141045140, 0143106287, 0141197692, 0141198834

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,634,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible