Persuasion (Penguin Classics) by Jane Austen

Persuasion (Penguin Classics) (original 1817; edition 2003)

by Jane Austen, Gillian Beer (Editor)

17,243326100 (4.24)1 / 1088
Member:klpm
Title:Persuasion (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Jane Austen
Other authors:Gillian Beer (Editor)
Info:Penguin Classics (2003), Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:England, fiction, romance

Persuasion by Jane Austen (1817)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: In addition to North and South by Gaskell, Wives and Daughters is another great read for people who love Austen's Persusion and Sense and Sensibility!
    The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: This is by no means an obvious recommendation. However, the quality of writing and something of the heroines' characters is similar. The heroines of these two books are both under-appreciated members of their families, who are thought beyond any chance of marriage. They are both forced by circumstance to find courage that they didn't know they possessed and they are rewarded with eventual happiness.… (more)
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (Anonymous user)
    Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange (mzackin)
    mzackin: This is the story of persuasion told from the other side. It is very well written and stays true to the story, even quoting lines from Austen.
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Slow, languid stories about regret and life choices not understood until they've passed by.
    The Old House at Railes by Mary Emily Pearce (sferguson)
    sferguson: A great book that will be enjoyed by those who are interested in a bit of non-standard romance.
    Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding (spygirl)
    spygirl: Helen Fielding's first novel Bridget Jones's Diary was a remake of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The sequel, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason is a remake of Austen's Persuasion.

English (308)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (326)
In reading Jane Austin’s last published novel, Persuasion, I was so disengaged with the novel even midway through the story, but I kept plodding on, hoping to find some redemption, while wishing for the story to come to its final pages. Because I was so enamored with Austin’s Pride and Prejudice, I was surprised that this later novel never quite pulled at my emotional heartstrings. In this novel I felt that Austin introduced numerous characters to the story, but she never offered much detail to describe each one. As such, I was never able to visualize each character, and I felt only a superficial connection to the characters and to the plot.
I will say that Jane Austin was a gifted writer, and that her prose flowed elegantly at times throughout the novel. Using dialogue to express the thinking of her characters, Austin occasionally used these opportunities to offer a social commentary about matters of the heart. For example, when Anne was discussing with Captain Harville the issues of constancy and devotion regarding love, she said, “God forbid that I should undervalue the warm and faithful feelings of any of my fellow creatures. I should deserve utter contempt if I dared to suppose that true attachment and constancy were known only by woman. No, I believe you equal to every important exertion, and to every domestic forbearance, so long as—if I may be allowed the expression, so long as you have an object. I mean, while the woman you love lives, and lives for you. All the privilege I claim for my own sex (it is not a very enviable one, you need not covet it) is that of loving longest, when existence or when hope is gone.” In this conversation, Anne was undoubtedly referring to her long, unrequited love for Captain Wentworth, upon which the story evolved. ( )
  haymaai | Nov 9, 2014 |
Austen's novel created some noble characters that follow the formula of most romantic comedies. Google summary below:
Twenty-seven-year old Anne Elliot is Austen's most adult heroine. Eight years before the story proper begins, she is happily betrothed to a naval officer, Frederick Wentworth, but she precipitously breaks off the engagement when persuaded by her friend Lady Russell that such a match is unworthy. The breakup produces in Anne a deep and long-lasting regret. When later Wentworth returns from sea a rich and successful captain, he finds Anne's family on the brink of financial ruin and his own sister a tenant in Kellynch Hall, the Elliot estate. All the tension of the novel revolves around one question: Will Anne and Wentworth be reunited in their love?

Jane Austin once compared her writing to painting on a little bit of ivory, 2 inches square. Readers of Persuasion will discover that neither her skill for delicate, ironic observations on social custom, love, and marriage nor her ability to apply a sharp focus lens to English manners and morals has deserted her in her final finished work. ( )
  novelcommentary | Nov 6, 2014 |
Persuasion is my favorite Jane Austen novel. It gives you a couple that you can't help but cheer for. It has enough angst to keep you reading, and just overall great characters that you get attached to. Such a great read! ( )
  dcmullins10 | Oct 20, 2014 |
Tied for my favourite Austen ever. The quiet, musing nature of the novel - less starkly sarcastic than either Pride and Prejudice or Emma, less knowingly silly than either Northanger Abbey or Sense and Sensibility, yet much less maudlin than Mansfield Park (which I don't like much). I have a soft spot for her characters who care so deeply about doing the Right Thing (for better, or more often, for worse - Eleanor, Anne, and Charlotte all suffer greatly in the name of propriety) and I like the surrounding characters a lot in this (in the sense that I think they're good characters). It's on my reread pile. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
This is a typical Jane Austen book (which undoubtedly you've already read at least Pride and Prejudice), so you must already be accustomed to her style of writing. There is subtle humor in her writing, and though it takes a little while to parse through the etiquette and length phrases of niceties, it is worth it in the end.

The story follows Anne Elliot, the middle daughter of a prideful yet foolish baron, and her progression in love. I believe the most quoted phrase from this book is something along the lines that Anne "had been forced into prudence in her youth, she learned romance as she grew older – the natural sequence of an unnatural beginning." Or something of that sort.

So to condense the story, it basically follows her love life of denying a capricious and emotionally-driven match, only to meet up with that very same man eight years later. It's actually quite humorous how very little the two protagonists speak or even interact - it's almost in the ways they avoid each other that you begin to see the romance. A far cry from modern day romances, to be sure.

For me, however, things moved too quickly and too slowly at the same time (if that is even possible). In one sense, out of nowhere, a plot twist can happen without any foreshadowing just because. Or suddenly two characters fall in love, or there is a spontaneous meeting, or suddenly evil intentions are made known. Although this is typical of Jane Austen, it's all a little too capricious and too coincidental for my liking. (i.e. it pisses me off when plot lines converge too neatly). But at the same time, it moves slowly in the sense that nothing is really happening if you think about it!! I bemoan the actual lack of action and plot.

But oh, her wit is very clever. Austen titles the book "Persuasion", and this comes out in very clever ways and in her philosophy through Anne's eyes when interacting with different characters. So although I am pretty much complaining and nitpicking, I did appreciate many things in the book, including the way you could almost picture the character in your head. Very lovely.

Two and a half stars because I thought it was good, but rounded down because I wouldn't reread it. It is a classic that ought to be read at least once, more to understand this style of writing than for the actual story. Recommended for people who love Jane Austen or the Bronte sisters, or that ilk of books. Also recommended for people who want to broaden their horizons on different styles of writing. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Sir Walter Elliot, of Kellynch-hall, in Somersetshire, was a man who, for his own amusement, never took up any book but the Baronetage; there he found occupation for an idle hour, and consolation in a distressed one; there his faculties were roused into admiration and respect, by contemplating the limited remnant of the earliest patents; there any unwelcome sensations, arising from domestic affairs, changed naturally into pity and contempt.
She had been forced into prudence in her youth, she learned romance as she grew older: the natural sequel of an unnatural beginning.
the isbn 0486295559 is associated withe Dover edition of persuasion, not the Norton Critical Edition

Anne Elliott, bullied or ignored by her father and sisters, relinquished her hopes of love when she was forced to reject Captain Wentworth. Now, years later, they meet again: he, prosperous and eligible, scarcely recognises the faded pretty woman. And she stays quietly in the background as he courts the lively and affectionate Louisa Musgrove. So why, when she joins her family in Bath, does Anne hesitate over the eminently suitable addresses paid to her by a distant cousin? And why does Captian Wentworth appear there too? While Jane Austen is here as quick as ever to ridicule self-importance, self-interest and cold-heartedness, while she tellingly contrasts the icy snobbery of the Elliots with the openness and warmth of Wentworth's naval friends, this novel has a tenderness and gravity which makes it unique among her works.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439688, Paperback)

Anne Elliot, heroine of Austen's last novel, did something we can all relate to: Long ago, she let the love of her life get away. In this case, she had allowed herself to be persuaded by a trusted family friend that the young man she loved wasn't an adequate match, social stationwise, and that Anne could do better. The novel opens some seven years after Anne sent her beau packing, and she's still alone. But then the guy she never stopped loving comes back from the sea. As always, Austen's storytelling is so confident, you can't help but allow yourself to be taken on the enjoyable journey.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:47 -0400)

Twenty-seven-year old Anne Elliot is Austen's most adult heroine. Eight years before the story proper begins, she is happily betrothed to a naval officer, Frederick Wentworth, but she precipitously breaks off the engagement when persuaded by her friend La.… (more)

5 1969

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439688, 0141028114, 0451530837, 0141045140, 0143106287, 0141197692, 0141198834

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,400,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible