SantaThing sign up ends in 20 minutes (23:00 GMT) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

Persuasion (Penguin Classics) by Jane Austen

Persuasion (Penguin Classics) (original 1817; edition 2003)

by Jane Austen, Gillian Beer (Editor)

19,04838786 (4.23)1 / 1258
Member:klpm
Title:Persuasion (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Jane Austen
Other authors:Gillian Beer (Editor)
Info:Penguin Classics (2003), Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:England, fiction, romance

Persuasion by Jane Austen (1817)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: This is by no means an obvious recommendation. However, the quality of writing and something of the heroines' characters is similar. The heroines of these two books are both under-appreciated members of their families, who are thought beyond any chance of marriage. They are both forced by circumstance to find courage that they didn't know they possessed and they are rewarded with eventual happiness.… (more)
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: In addition to North and South by Gaskell, Wives and Daughters is another great read for people who love Austen's Persusion and Sense and Sensibility!
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (Anonymous user)
    Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange (mzackin)
    mzackin: This is the story of persuasion told from the other side. It is very well written and stays true to the story, even quoting lines from Austen.
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Slow, languid stories about regret and life choices not understood until they've passed by.
    The Old House at Railes by Mary Emily Pearce (sferguson)
    sferguson: A great book that will be enjoyed by those who are interested in a bit of non-standard romance.
    Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding (spygirl)
    spygirl: Helen Fielding's first novel Bridget Jones's Diary was a remake of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The sequel, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason is a remake of Austen's Persuasion.
Elevenses (214)
1810s (5)

English (368)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  German (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (1)  English (1)  Hungarian (1)  English (387)
Persuasion is the last complete novel of Jane Austen. It’s the story of Anne Elliot and Captain Frederick Wentworth and the misunderstandings that lead to their happily ever after. Anne and Frederick were to be engaged to be married when Lady Russel persuaded Anne that she could do better. Frederick went off to be a seaman and came back a rich. As he and Anne are re-introduced the interaction between become comically tense.

In true Jane Austen style, Persuasion touches a number of characters in Anne and Fredrick’s circles and deals with a lot of interconnected relationships. However, this was one book that I found a little on the slow side, I absolutely loved the story, I just wished it got to the ending a bit quicker - and preferably less of the Musgroves and Anne’s father and older sister.

Pacing aside, I found Persuasion to be an charming read (or in my case, listen) and a bit of a comedy of errors when it comes to Anne and Fredrick. Jane Austen fans will enjoy.
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
This was my first Jane Austen book (I have enjoyed movie versions of her stories). I really enjoyed this and found myself smiling at the end. I'm so glad I finally tried one of her books and feel a better person for having done so--- now I know what everyone has been raving about !! ( )
  Juliasb | Dec 1, 2016 |
Many things to love-- the meditation on the differences between men and women's feelings, the achingly wonderful letter written by Captain Wentworth to Anne, the self-possession of Austen's heroine. I admit that though many intelligent readers count Persuasion as their favorite Austen, I'm just a superficial sucker for Pride and Prejudice and Lizzie Bennett. Though Captain Wentworth, an emotional man, might be a better man than late-to-evolve Mr. Darcy. ( )
  jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
I know that this puts me in a minority of Austen readers, but I have never really liked this book. It's too short and lightly sketched -- it reads less like a novel and more like an outline of a novel. The hero and heroine barely speak to each other, and I really dislike Anne -- she's nearly as priggish and meek as Fanny Price. And even Austen's trademark humor doesn't work as well in this book as it does in others; there are some humorous lines, but her viciousness about poor Richard Musgrove just seems mean. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
Well, this is where I wish I paid more attention in my English Lit. classes. Then I could use this review to wax lyrical (or at least literate) about the exposition, the rising action, the climax and the ultimate resolution of Anne Elliot's story in Persuasion. Unfortunately, I didn't pay attention in class (or attend class very often) so here I am floundering for a way to adequately discuss one of Jane Austen's finest. (Does this make me a cautionary tale?)

I'm going to start by saying I still like Pride & Prejudice better. I've heard many people describe Persuasion as Austen's most mature work - which makes sense because it was also her last - and I can definitely see the truth in that. But Persuasion lacks the humour, the lightness, of her earlier works, although it still retains all of the bite.

If Miss Austen wrote from life she lacked any positive parental role models. In every book of hers I've read, at least one parent was vapid, shallow, vain, neurotic, dyspeptic, a hypochondriac or a combination of any of the aforementioned. I'd argue it's the single uniting factor in all her work (although I've yet to read her juvenilia or Sanditon). Anne Elliot gets the rawest deal of all of JA's MC's - her family has no affection for her at all. She is the Cinderella in their lives: useful only for propping them up when they're down, being the person applied to for attentiveness, while never receiving any attention or affection in return.

Thank goodness for Lady Russell; only Lady Russell persuaded Anne to cut off her engagement to the man she loved 8 1/2 years ago because his prospects were not guaranteed. Now that man is back and he's rich. He might also be a tiny bit bitter about having his heart broken all those years ago.

I enjoyed the story; I definitely liked it more than Emma (sorry mom) and probably more than Northanger Abbey. Maybe. It's a more staid, more serious work than the others. What little frivolity there is ends in disaster and is used to illustrate a defect in character. As I prefer characters who "dearly love to laugh", Elizabeth Bennett holds pride of place on my favorite Austen list - but Persuasion and Anne Elliot aren't far behind. ( )
  murderbydeath | Oct 18, 2016 |
L'occasion de s'attacher aux amours empêchées d'une héroïne tout sauf résignée.
added by miniwark | editTélérama, Nathalie Crom (Jul 9, 2011)

Austen, Janeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Sir Walter Elliot, of Kellynch-hall, in Somersetshire, was a man who, for his own amusement, never took up any book but the Baronetage; there he found occupation for an idle hour, and consolation in a distressed one; there his faculties were roused into admiration and respect, by contemplating the limited remnant of the earliest patents; there any unwelcome sensations, arising from domestic affairs, changed naturally into pity and contempt.
On 8 August 1815, English newspapers took note of the departure for Saint Helena of HMS Northumberland and, with it, a prisoner. (Introduction)
She had been forced into prudence in her youth, she learned romance as she grew older: the natural sequel of an unnatural beginning.
the isbn 0486295559 is associated withe Dover edition of persuasion, not the Norton Critical Edition

Anne Elliott, bullied or ignored by her father and sisters, relinquished her hopes of love when she was forced to reject Captain Wentworth. Now, years later, they meet again: he, prosperous and eligible, scarcely recognises the faded pretty woman. And she stays quietly in the background as he courts the lively and affectionate Louisa Musgrove. So why, when she joins her family in Bath, does Anne hesitate over the eminently suitable addresses paid to her by a distant cousin? And why does Captian Wentworth appear there too? While Jane Austen is here as quick as ever to ridicule self-importance, self-interest and cold-heartedness, while she tellingly contrasts the icy snobbery of the Elliots with the openness and warmth of Wentworth's naval friends, this novel has a tenderness and gravity which makes it unique among her works.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439688, Paperback)

Anne Elliot, heroine of Austen's last novel, did something we can all relate to: Long ago, she let the love of her life get away. In this case, she had allowed herself to be persuaded by a trusted family friend that the young man she loved wasn't an adequate match, social stationwise, and that Anne could do better. The novel opens some seven years after Anne sent her beau packing, and she's still alone. But then the guy she never stopped loving comes back from the sea. As always, Austen's storytelling is so confident, you can't help but allow yourself to be taken on the enjoyable journey.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:35 -0400)

Twenty-seven-year old Anne Elliot is Austen's most adult heroine. Eight years before the story proper begins, she is happily betrothed to a naval officer, Frederick Wentworth, but she precipitously breaks off the engagement when persuaded by her friend La.… (more)

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439688, 0141028114, 0451530837, 0141045140, 0143106287, 0141197692, 0141198834

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 190917534X, 1909175358

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,653,851 books! | Top bar: Always visible