Persuasion (Penguin Classics) by Jane Austen

Persuasion (Penguin Classics) (original 1817; edition 2003)

by Jane Austen, Gillian Beer (Editor)

17,019None101 (4.25)1 / 1037
Member:klpm
Title:Persuasion (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Jane Austen
Other authors:Gillian Beer (Editor)
Info:Penguin Classics (2003), Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:England, fiction, romance

Persuasion by Jane Austen (1817)

1001 (87) 1001 books (79) 19th century (596) Austen (369) bath (83) British (319) British literature (302) classic (986) classic fiction (84) Classic Literature (99) classics (839) ebook (105) England (348) English (135) English literature (277) fiction (2,105) historical (79) historical fiction (75) Jane Austen (410) Kindle (100) literature (429) love (111) novel (366) own (119) read (229) regency (263) romance (647) to-read (228) unread (104) women (83)
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: In addition to North and South by Gaskell, Wives and Daughters is another great read for people who love Austen's Persusion and Sense and Sensibility!
    The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: This is by no means an obvious recommendation. However, the quality of writing and something of the heroines' characters is similar. The heroines of these two books are both under-appreciated members of their families, who are thought beyond any chance of marriage. They are both forced by circumstance to find courage that they didn't know they possessed and they are rewarded with eventual happiness.… (more)
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (Anonymous user)
    Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange (mzackin)
    mzackin: This is the story of persuasion told from the other side. It is very well written and stays true to the story, even quoting lines from Austen.
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Slow, languid stories about regret and life choices not understood until they've passed by.
    The Old House at Railes by Mary Emily Pearce (sferguson)
    sferguson: A great book that will be enjoyed by those who are interested in a bit of non-standard romance.
    Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding (spygirl)
    spygirl: Helen Fielding's first novel Bridget Jones's Diary was a remake of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The sequel, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason is a remake of Austen's Persuasion.

English (297)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (316)
I enjoyed this audiobook edition very much and Karen Savage does a terrific job with the narration. My biggest complaint was that it went by so quickly ( )
  leslie.98 | Apr 3, 2014 |
I'm not an Austen fan, but read this for a book club. I admit I enjoyed it more than other Austen novels I've read. I liked the fact that the main character, Anne, was a bit older (28) and had come into her own after being more easily influenced in her youth. ( )
  LynnB | Mar 27, 2014 |
For all you Jane Austin fans I am sorry, but I just have a hard time "loving" her work. The story line I enjoyed; Anne Elliot and Captain Wentworth have met and became engaged long before the story began, but Anne was "persuaded" to give up the engagement and the Captain goes off to sea. The book is about how Anne never stopped loving him, and her growth as she begins to see that her own judgement is far better than the people around her when they meet again years later. I liked the maturity of both characters as they meet again after their years of being apart. But what I have a really hard time with is the writing style I guess. It was really hard to stay focused and figure what was really being said. I must confess that having watched the movie helped me understand what was going on in the book. I am glad I read this story, if for no other reason than to say I know her work, but I am not a big fan of her writing style, like so many others seem to be. ( )
  judyg54 | Mar 22, 2014 |
It took me 29 years to get to Austen, and with this as my first choice I was rather underwhelmed. I found the heroine boring, the plot not at all what I expected. I did enjoy the writing, after I got used to it. But it was missing a certain something. I moved along, reading other things, and kept coming upon rave reviews of Persuasion. So many that I figured I must have been missing something and decided to give it another try. I tried to tell myself that half a year is too soon to re read something, but I kept feeling the urge so I gave in. And I am very glad I did!
While it's not destined to be one of my favorite novels ever, I surprised myself by how much I enjoyed it a second time around.
Now that I knew that Anne would not be actively trying to get Wentworth back, I was able to look at some of her other qualities. She's intelligent, caring, has realized that she made a mistake, but she does not berate herself for it. I think I like this particular quality -- she does not become a martyr, bemoaning what was lost. She seems to be more of a well that is that personality and moves on. She bears no ill will towards Lady Russell for convincing her not to marry Wentworth, another admirable trait.
And Captain Wentworth! All you Austen fans swooning over Mr Darcy -- I'd take Captain Wentworth over Mr. Darcy any day! That letter might be one of the most romantic things I've ever read. He realizes that all is not lost and makes his move.
With all that said, I still much prefer the Brontes to Austen. Austen may be wittier and more scathing with her commentary on social morales, but the Brontes knew about passion. Heathcliff would not have spent 100 pages exchanging significant glances and making polite conversation, for it all to culminate in a letter, however romantic it might have been. However, I am surprised to find that there is something extremely comforting and relaxing in Austen's style of writing, and I am very glad I gave Persuasion a second chance. ( )
  abookishcorner | Mar 4, 2014 |
Not my favorite by Austen, but still very romantic and, to borrow a word from a fellow reader, introspective. Lots of tension leads to a satisfying ending. Now I can say I've finally read this all the way through! ( )
  Tahleen | Feb 16, 2014 |

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Sir Walter Elliot, of Kellynch-hall, in Somersetshire, was a man who, for his own amusement, never took up any book but the Baronetage; there he found occupation for an idle hour, and consolation in a distressed one; there his faculties were roused into admiration and respect, by contemplating the limited remnant of the earliest patents; there any unwelcome sensations, arising from domestic affairs, changed naturally into pity and contempt.
She had been forced into prudence in her youth, she learned romance as she grew older: the natural sequel of an unnatural beginning.
the isbn 0486295559 is associated withe Dover edition of persuasion, not the Norton Critical Edition

Anne Elliott, bullied or ignored by her father and sisters, relinquished her hopes of love when she was forced to reject Captain Wentworth. Now, years later, they meet again: he, prosperous and eligible, scarcely recognises the faded pretty woman. And she stays quietly in the background as he courts the lively and affectionate Louisa Musgrove. So why, when she joins her family in Bath, does Anne hesitate over the eminently suitable addresses paid to her by a distant cousin? And why does Captian Wentworth appear there too? While Jane Austen is here as quick as ever to ridicule self-importance, self-interest and cold-heartedness, while she tellingly contrasts the icy snobbery of the Elliots with the openness and warmth of Wentworth's naval friends, this novel has a tenderness and gravity which makes it unique among her works.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439688, Paperback)

Anne Elliot, heroine of Austen's last novel, did something we can all relate to: Long ago, she let the love of her life get away. In this case, she had allowed herself to be persuaded by a trusted family friend that the young man she loved wasn't an adequate match, social stationwise, and that Anne could do better. The novel opens some seven years after Anne sent her beau packing, and she's still alone. But then the guy she never stopped loving comes back from the sea. As always, Austen's storytelling is so confident, you can't help but allow yourself to be taken on the enjoyable journey.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:47 -0400)

Twenty-seven-year old Anne Elliot is Austen's most adult heroine. Eight years before the story proper begins, she is happily betrothed to a naval officer, Frederick Wentworth, but she precipitously breaks off the engagement when persuaded by her friend La.… (more)

5 1929

Seven editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439688, 0141028114, 0451530837, 0141045140, 0143106287, 0141197692, 0141198834

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,413,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible