Persuasion (Penguin Classics) by Jane Austen

Persuasion (Penguin Classics) (original 1817; edition 2003)

by Jane Austen, Gillian Beer (Editor)

17,59933797 (4.24)1 / 1123
Member:klpm
Title:Persuasion (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Jane Austen
Other authors:Gillian Beer (Editor)
Info:Penguin Classics (2003), Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:England, fiction, romance

Persuasion by Jane Austen (1817)

Recently added byapostate, rena200, mizlgw, susannah65, private library, Henbaben
Legacy LibrariesBarbara Pym, C. S. Lewis
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: In addition to North and South by Gaskell, Wives and Daughters is another great read for people who love Austen's Persusion and Sense and Sensibility!
    The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: This is by no means an obvious recommendation. However, the quality of writing and something of the heroines' characters is similar. The heroines of these two books are both under-appreciated members of their families, who are thought beyond any chance of marriage. They are both forced by circumstance to find courage that they didn't know they possessed and they are rewarded with eventual happiness.… (more)
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (Anonymous user)
    Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange (mzackin)
    mzackin: This is the story of persuasion told from the other side. It is very well written and stays true to the story, even quoting lines from Austen.
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Slow, languid stories about regret and life choices not understood until they've passed by.
    The Old House at Railes by Mary Emily Pearce (sferguson)
    sferguson: A great book that will be enjoyed by those who are interested in a bit of non-standard romance.
    Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding (spygirl)
    spygirl: Helen Fielding's first novel Bridget Jones's Diary was a remake of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The sequel, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason is a remake of Austen's Persuasion.
Unread books (1,191)

English (319)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (337)
Certainly I admire Jane Austin's place in British literature; although this book moved so slowly that I failed to complete. ( )
  rharrisonblack | May 12, 2015 |
I read "Persuasion" as part of the Book Riot Read Harder challenge (satisfying the "book published before 1850" requirement). It was like pulling teeth. I know that reading the classics, like eating brussel sprouts, is good for me. But, man, I hate brussel sprouts and I am just not a fan of 19th century British literature (a fact I forgot about when I chose this book. I haven't read 19th century British lit since high school TWENTY YEARS AGO). I'm sure there are Anglophiles who want to beat me to a bloody pulp for one-starring this book, but I could not get into it. At all. There is just so much...propriety. 90% of the book is just wading through boring details of family histories and understanding why so-and-so should marry so-and-so. And EVERYTHING centers around marriage. It makes me a little sick to my stomach. I do wonder what people will think of this century's novels in 200 years. I'm sure they will be nauseating in their own way. But, still, I love modern fiction and will stick with that. ( )
  KimHooperWrites | May 8, 2015 |
Definitely one of my favorite Jane Austen novels! The heroine, Anne, is 28 and single. Persuaded by her close friend, Lady Russell, Anne breaks off an engagement to a charming man because it isn't proper or a good match. Eight years later their paths cross again, but this time he is a man of fortune and more than a respectable match. No one knows of their previous engagement except for Lady Russell, so Anne must suffer in silence at every dinner party and outing that he is at. Her heart is aching for him, but he seems to have no more regard for her after she broke his heart and in turn focuses his attention on one of her brother in law's sisters. Filled with classic Austen characters, this book is enjoyable from beginning to end and moves rather quickly compared to some of her other novels. I can't wait to check out one of the movie adaptations! ( )
  ecataldi | May 6, 2015 |
I'm a Jane Austen fan, but I had trouble following the plot of this one. At one point, the author explained the relationship between the two main characters. The language was so subtle, the speech so indirect I missed the back story completely - that years before the story opens, the hero had proposed to the heroine and she, on the advice of a good friend, had refused him. The story opens when the hero comes back into her life, unexpectedly. And of course, in the narrative, she makes veiled references to their past. Which caused me to keep yelling at her, "What are you talking about?" She did not answer me. And so if I were to write a book about my experience of reading Persuasion, I would call it Frustration. Having said all that, I know, I'm going to read Persuasion again. ( )
  dawndowney | Apr 18, 2015 |
How can you not love a heroine with the name “Anne Elliot.” It’s such a perfect name. For some reason, I find Persuasion is a little harder to get into than some of Austen’s other novels. I still like it, but especially in the beginning, I find myself re-reading passages to find out who’s who and what relation they have. It seems almost a passive book… not much is holding the hero and heroine apart but themselves, and there are no strong characters to adore or hate, in my opinion. Still, it’s Austen, and if you like Austen, it’s a must-read.

Would I recommend this to my BFF? Yes.
To my teenage daughter? Sure. ( )
  lauraodom | Apr 16, 2015 |

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Sir Walter Elliot, of Kellynch-hall, in Somersetshire, was a man who, for his own amusement, never took up any book but the Baronetage; there he found occupation for an idle hour, and consolation in a distressed one; there his faculties were roused into admiration and respect, by contemplating the limited remnant of the earliest patents; there any unwelcome sensations, arising from domestic affairs, changed naturally into pity and contempt.
She had been forced into prudence in her youth, she learned romance as she grew older: the natural sequel of an unnatural beginning.
the isbn 0486295559 is associated withe Dover edition of persuasion, not the Norton Critical Edition

Anne Elliott, bullied or ignored by her father and sisters, relinquished her hopes of love when she was forced to reject Captain Wentworth. Now, years later, they meet again: he, prosperous and eligible, scarcely recognises the faded pretty woman. And she stays quietly in the background as he courts the lively and affectionate Louisa Musgrove. So why, when she joins her family in Bath, does Anne hesitate over the eminently suitable addresses paid to her by a distant cousin? And why does Captian Wentworth appear there too? While Jane Austen is here as quick as ever to ridicule self-importance, self-interest and cold-heartedness, while she tellingly contrasts the icy snobbery of the Elliots with the openness and warmth of Wentworth's naval friends, this novel has a tenderness and gravity which makes it unique among her works.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439688, Paperback)

Anne Elliot, heroine of Austen's last novel, did something we can all relate to: Long ago, she let the love of her life get away. In this case, she had allowed herself to be persuaded by a trusted family friend that the young man she loved wasn't an adequate match, social stationwise, and that Anne could do better. The novel opens some seven years after Anne sent her beau packing, and she's still alone. But then the guy she never stopped loving comes back from the sea. As always, Austen's storytelling is so confident, you can't help but allow yourself to be taken on the enjoyable journey.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:47 -0400)

Twenty-seven-year old Anne Elliot is Austen's most adult heroine. Eight years before the story proper begins, she is happily betrothed to a naval officer, Frederick Wentworth, but she precipitously breaks off the engagement when persuaded by her friend La.… (more)

5 2018

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439688, 0141028114, 0451530837, 0141045140, 0143106287, 0141197692, 0141198834

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,292,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible