Persuasion (Oxford World's Classics) by Jane…

Persuasion (Oxford World's Classics) (original 1817; edition 2004)

by Jane Austen

18,96638686 (4.23)1 / 1250
Title:Persuasion (Oxford World's Classics)
Authors:Jane Austen
Info:Oxford University Press, USA (2004), Edition: 2, Paperback, 304 pages

Persuasion by Jane Austen (1817)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: This is by no means an obvious recommendation. However, the quality of writing and something of the heroines' characters is similar. The heroines of these two books are both under-appreciated members of their families, who are thought beyond any chance of marriage. They are both forced by circumstance to find courage that they didn't know they possessed and they are rewarded with eventual happiness.… (more)
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: In addition to North and South by Gaskell, Wives and Daughters is another great read for people who love Austen's Persusion and Sense and Sensibility!
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (Anonymous user)
    Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange (mzackin)
    mzackin: This is the story of persuasion told from the other side. It is very well written and stays true to the story, even quoting lines from Austen.
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Slow, languid stories about regret and life choices not understood until they've passed by.
    The Old House at Railes by Mary Emily Pearce (sferguson)
    sferguson: A great book that will be enjoyed by those who are interested in a bit of non-standard romance.
    Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding (spygirl)
    spygirl: Helen Fielding's first novel Bridget Jones's Diary was a remake of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The sequel, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason is a remake of Austen's Persuasion.
Elevenses (214)
1810s (5)

English (367)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  German (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (386)
Well, this is where I wish I paid more attention in my English Lit. classes. Then I could use this review to wax lyrical (or at least literate) about the exposition, the rising action, the climax and the ultimate resolution of Anne Elliot's story in Persuasion. Unfortunately, I didn't pay attention in class (or attend class very often) so here I am floundering for a way to adequately discuss one of Jane Austen's finest. (Does this make me a cautionary tale?)

I'm going to start by saying I still like Pride & Prejudice better. I've heard many people describe Persuasion as Austen's most mature work - which makes sense because it was also her last - and I can definitely see the truth in that. But Persuasion lacks the humour, the lightness, of her earlier works, although it still retains all of the bite.

If Miss Austen wrote from life she lacked any positive parental role models. In every book of hers I've read, at least one parent was vapid, shallow, vain, neurotic, dyspeptic, a hypochondriac or a combination of any of the aforementioned. I'd argue it's the single uniting factor in all her work (although I've yet to read her juvenilia or Sanditon). Anne Elliot gets the rawest deal of all of JA's MC's - her family has no affection for her at all. She is the Cinderella in their lives: useful only for propping them up when they're down, being the person applied to for attentiveness, while never receiving any attention or affection in return.

Thank goodness for Lady Russell; only Lady Russell persuaded Anne to cut off her engagement to the man she loved 8 1/2 years ago because his prospects were not guaranteed. Now that man is back and he's rich. He might also be a tiny bit bitter about having his heart broken all those years ago.

I enjoyed the story; I definitely liked it more than Emma (sorry mom) and probably more than Northanger Abbey. Maybe. It's a more staid, more serious work than the others. What little frivolity there is ends in disaster and is used to illustrate a defect in character. As I prefer characters who "dearly love to laugh", Elizabeth Bennett holds pride of place on my favorite Austen list - but Persuasion and Anne Elliot aren't far behind. ( )
  murderbydeath | Oct 18, 2016 |
whats the difference in endings between the novel and the 1995 movie? ( )
  Tori323 | Oct 16, 2016 |
It's a re-read, so there's not much more for me to say than I've said before. It's Austen. It's brilliant.

I refrained from 5 stars only because it starts a bit slow and it's not Pride & Prejudice, the standards by which I judge all my regency. ( )
  murderbydeath | Oct 13, 2016 |
I don't care for romance novels, Victorian or otherwise. Other than "Lady Susan", I've never been fond of Jane Austen and this book didn't do anything to change my mind. Constant gossip, vanity, obsession with getting married, snobbery, the women's fiction litany goes on and on. It's not my style. The narration of the audiobook by Juliet Stevenson was generally fine, although her male voices weren't particularly good. ( )
  fhudnell | Sep 29, 2016 |
Unlike the others in the novel, Anne enjoys life in the countryside and does not long for the leisure town, Bath. The countryside reminds her of old memories from when her mother was still alive and when she was not alone. Anne’s “reactions are expressed more through descriptive details than through exposition. The tone of the landscape controls the passage”.

“The sweet scenes of autumn were for a while put by, unless some tender sonnet, fraught with the apt analogy of the declining year, with declining happiness, and the images of youth, and hope, and spring, all gone together, blessed her memory”.
(Here, it is clearly seen that Jane Austen was inspired by the Romantic poetry of the early nineteenth century, e.g. Byron).

Anne’s dislike for Bath is presented several times in the story: “first from the circumstance of having been three years at school there, after her mother’s death; and secondly, from her happening to be not in perfectly good spirits the only winter which she had afterwards spent there with herself” (‘Persuasion’). At times, the story of Anne becomes almost autobiographical by Jane Austen e.g. that Jane Austen did not like to live in Bath, she believes in true love but is also aware of the importance of tradition and social status like Anne.
Jane Austen described Anne’s character in a letter to Fanny Knight: “pictures of perfection as you know make me sick and wicked […] you may perhaps like the Heroine, as she is almost too good for me” (‘Letter to Fanny Knight ‘).
Furthermore, biographer Claire Tomalin characterizes ‘Persuasion’ as Austen’s “present to herself, to Miss Sharp, to Cassandra, to Martha Lloyd . . . to all women who had lost their chance in life and would never enjoy a second spring” (Tomalin, Claire: ‘Jane Austen – A Life’) due to the fact that Jane Austen never married during her life. She was a strong and unique character herself; She accepted a proposal but changed her mind after 12 hours because she did not truly love him.

“You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope...I have loved none but you.”

After saying no to Frederick Wentworth’s proposal, Anne begins to regret the decision and the unhappiness that follows with it eventually affects her so much that she loses the bloom of her youth, expressed by Jane Austen in a letter to her sister, Fanny Knight. With her heart broken, it takes longer than expected to recover from the relationship she had with Frederick

“[…] but not with a few months ended Anne’s share of suffering from it. Her attachment and regrets had, for a long time, clouded every enjoyment of youth, and an early loss of bloom and spirits had been their lasting effect”.

Anne challenges society’s norms and expectations of the 19th Century’s ideal vision of a woman. The fact that they mostly think and act with their hearts creates a portrayal in literature which is considered very modern compared to society of the time.

“...when pain is over, the remembrance of it often becomes a pleasure.”

My opinion on the book:
Unlike Jane Austen’s other stories (“Pride and Prejudice”, “Emma”, “Mansfield Park”, and so on), it is very different and does not compare itself easily, due to Anne’s age (27) which is quite old, so she has more experience and more of her own voice than the other female characters that we know of.
But Anne is indeed a true heroine. The story touched me deeply and every time I think of my time in Bath, I smile.
As a reader you experience all of Anne’s thoughts vividly, you feel her pain and sorrow, and you feel the hope that she keeps on clinging to.
A beautiful and spell-bound story! ( )
1 vote evalucia | Sep 25, 2016 |
L'occasion de s'attacher aux amours empêchées d'une héroïne tout sauf résignée.
added by miniwark | editTélérama, Nathalie Crom (Jul 9, 2011)

Austen, Janeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Sir Walter Elliot, of Kellynch-hall, in Somersetshire, was a man who, for his own amusement, never took up any book but the Baronetage; there he found occupation for an idle hour, and consolation in a distressed one; there his faculties were roused into admiration and respect, by contemplating the limited remnant of the earliest patents; there any unwelcome sensations, arising from domestic affairs, changed naturally into pity and contempt.
On 8 August 1815, English newspapers took note of the departure for Saint Helena of HMS Northumberland and, with it, a prisoner. (Introduction)
She had been forced into prudence in her youth, she learned romance as she grew older: the natural sequel of an unnatural beginning.
the isbn 0486295559 is associated withe Dover edition of persuasion, not the Norton Critical Edition

Anne Elliott, bullied or ignored by her father and sisters, relinquished her hopes of love when she was forced to reject Captain Wentworth. Now, years later, they meet again: he, prosperous and eligible, scarcely recognises the faded pretty woman. And she stays quietly in the background as he courts the lively and affectionate Louisa Musgrove. So why, when she joins her family in Bath, does Anne hesitate over the eminently suitable addresses paid to her by a distant cousin? And why does Captian Wentworth appear there too? While Jane Austen is here as quick as ever to ridicule self-importance, self-interest and cold-heartedness, while she tellingly contrasts the icy snobbery of the Elliots with the openness and warmth of Wentworth's naval friends, this novel has a tenderness and gravity which makes it unique among her works.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439688, Paperback)

Anne Elliot, heroine of Austen's last novel, did something we can all relate to: Long ago, she let the love of her life get away. In this case, she had allowed herself to be persuaded by a trusted family friend that the young man she loved wasn't an adequate match, social stationwise, and that Anne could do better. The novel opens some seven years after Anne sent her beau packing, and she's still alone. But then the guy she never stopped loving comes back from the sea. As always, Austen's storytelling is so confident, you can't help but allow yourself to be taken on the enjoyable journey.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:35 -0400)

Twenty-seven-year old Anne Elliot is Austen's most adult heroine. Eight years before the story proper begins, she is happily betrothed to a naval officer, Frederick Wentworth, but she precipitously breaks off the engagement when persuaded by her friend La.… (more)

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439688, 0141028114, 0451530837, 0141045140, 0143106287, 0141197692, 0141198834

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 190917534X, 1909175358

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,824,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible