Persuasion (Oxford World's Classics) by Jane…

Persuasion (Oxford World's Classics) (original 1817; edition 2004)

by Jane Austen

18,78037889 (4.23)1 / 1240
Member:Bookaliciouspam
Title:Persuasion (Oxford World's Classics)
Authors:Jane Austen
Info:Oxford University Press, USA (2004), Edition: 2, Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****

Persuasion by Jane Austen (1817)

Recently added byprivate library, ssoixa, mgiuntoni, Bookwyrmle, kenalex25, feneur, jsweaver, diana.n
Legacy LibrariesBarbara Pym, Leslie Scalapino, C. S. Lewis
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: In addition to North and South by Gaskell, Wives and Daughters is another great read for people who love Austen's Persusion and Sense and Sensibility!
    The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: This is by no means an obvious recommendation. However, the quality of writing and something of the heroines' characters is similar. The heroines of these two books are both under-appreciated members of their families, who are thought beyond any chance of marriage. They are both forced by circumstance to find courage that they didn't know they possessed and they are rewarded with eventual happiness.… (more)
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (Anonymous user)
    Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange (mzackin)
    mzackin: This is the story of persuasion told from the other side. It is very well written and stays true to the story, even quoting lines from Austen.
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Slow, languid stories about regret and life choices not understood until they've passed by.
    The Old House at Railes by Mary Emily Pearce (sferguson)
    sferguson: A great book that will be enjoyed by those who are interested in a bit of non-standard romance.
    Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding (spygirl)
    spygirl: Helen Fielding's first novel Bridget Jones's Diary was a remake of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The sequel, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason is a remake of Austen's Persuasion.

English (359)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  German (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (378)
First I would like to give Props where they are due: Public Bookshelf offered me the chance to read this book for free online with no download. Check it out there are quite a few books on there, no cost, no download, and when they won't let you have an e-reader at work it is a good way to still be able to read some of your favorites..

I have never read Persuasion and to be quite honest I do not think that I would ever want to read the book again. It was not bad but I guess after just finishing my Philosophy class yesterday I was sort of brainwashed by all the Philospophers that I felt as though I was reading a required school book and all of it was mumble jumble to me .. It was not bad it was just that I was really really bored throughout the story.

I know this is a classic which is one of the reasons it got 3 stars from me. ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
Anne Elliot is one of my favorite Austen heroines, and Captain Wentworth is just divine. It's not easy reading, but it's a good novel.

Anne is the spinster sister, the solid one on whom everyone depends. She is intelligent and witty, thoughtful and compassionate. She follows the advice of others and is persuaded to not marry the man she loves. Her life then, does not take the turn she thought it would and she remains unmarried.

Her family is nuts. They are truly horrific in their treatment of not only her, but all others. They are self-centered and egotistical. Anne, alone, remains a truly graceful, refined woman. She has resigned herself to spinsterhood, but when she is reunited with Captain Wentworth 10 years after they parted, their romance is rekindled.

The film with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds is an excellent adaptation. Their characterizations are dead on. ( )
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
I don't get it, I really don't. OK, so I'm not a big fan of the period or the genre, but I liked Pride and Prejuice and, I suppose, Sense and Sensibility. This book, however, is just sad. The characters and the plot left me equally bored and annoyed. It wasn't quite bad enough for me to give it up without finishing (thus the 2 stars), but this sort of book just leaves me a bit... aggravated. ( )
  -Silje- | Jul 24, 2016 |
As an audiobook I found I enjoyed this more than Little Women. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 11, 2016 |
L'occasion de s'attacher aux amours empêchées d'une héroïne tout sauf résignée.
added by miniwark | editTélérama, Nathalie Crom (Jul 9, 2011)

Austen, Janeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Sir Walter Elliot, of Kellynch-hall, in Somersetshire, was a man who, for his own amusement, never took up any book but the Baronetage; there he found occupation for an idle hour, and consolation in a distressed one; there his faculties were roused into admiration and respect, by contemplating the limited remnant of the earliest patents; there any unwelcome sensations, arising from domestic affairs, changed naturally into pity and contempt.
On 8 August 1815, English newspapers took note of the departure for Saint Helena of HMS Northumberland and, with it, a prisoner. (Introduction)
She had been forced into prudence in her youth, she learned romance as she grew older: the natural sequel of an unnatural beginning.
the isbn 0486295559 is associated withe Dover edition of persuasion, not the Norton Critical Edition

Anne Elliott, bullied or ignored by her father and sisters, relinquished her hopes of love when she was forced to reject Captain Wentworth. Now, years later, they meet again: he, prosperous and eligible, scarcely recognises the faded pretty woman. And she stays quietly in the background as he courts the lively and affectionate Louisa Musgrove. So why, when she joins her family in Bath, does Anne hesitate over the eminently suitable addresses paid to her by a distant cousin? And why does Captian Wentworth appear there too? While Jane Austen is here as quick as ever to ridicule self-importance, self-interest and cold-heartedness, while she tellingly contrasts the icy snobbery of the Elliots with the openness and warmth of Wentworth's naval friends, this novel has a tenderness and gravity which makes it unique among her works.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439688, Paperback)

Anne Elliot, heroine of Austen's last novel, did something we can all relate to: Long ago, she let the love of her life get away. In this case, she had allowed herself to be persuaded by a trusted family friend that the young man she loved wasn't an adequate match, social stationwise, and that Anne could do better. The novel opens some seven years after Anne sent her beau packing, and she's still alone. But then the guy she never stopped loving comes back from the sea. As always, Austen's storytelling is so confident, you can't help but allow yourself to be taken on the enjoyable journey.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:35 -0400)

Twenty-seven-year old Anne Elliot is Austen's most adult heroine. Eight years before the story proper begins, she is happily betrothed to a naval officer, Frederick Wentworth, but she precipitously breaks off the engagement when persuaded by her friend La.… (more)

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439688, 0141028114, 0451530837, 0141045140, 0143106287, 0141197692, 0141198834

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 190917534X, 1909175358

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,368,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible