Persuasion (Oxford World's Classics) by Jane…

Persuasion (Oxford World's Classics) (original 1817; edition 2004)

by Jane Austen

17,076323103 (4.24)1 / 1080
Member:Bookaliciouspam
Title:Persuasion (Oxford World's Classics)
Authors:Jane Austen
Info:Oxford University Press, USA (2004), Edition: 2, Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****

Persuasion by Jane Austen (1817)

Recently added byprivate library, Maria26, humblewomble, kybunnies, novelcommentary, bsrich, Bodagirl, East.Iscriptikus
Legacy LibrariesBarbara Pym, C. S. Lewis
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: In addition to North and South by Gaskell, Wives and Daughters is another great read for people who love Austen's Persusion and Sense and Sensibility!
    The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: This is by no means an obvious recommendation. However, the quality of writing and something of the heroines' characters is similar. The heroines of these two books are both under-appreciated members of their families, who are thought beyond any chance of marriage. They are both forced by circumstance to find courage that they didn't know they possessed and they are rewarded with eventual happiness.… (more)
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (Anonymous user)
    Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange (mzackin)
    mzackin: This is the story of persuasion told from the other side. It is very well written and stays true to the story, even quoting lines from Austen.
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Slow, languid stories about regret and life choices not understood until they've passed by.
    The Old House at Railes by Mary Emily Pearce (sferguson)
    sferguson: A great book that will be enjoyed by those who are interested in a bit of non-standard romance.
    Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding (spygirl)
    spygirl: Helen Fielding's first novel Bridget Jones's Diary was a remake of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The sequel, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason is a remake of Austen's Persuasion.

English (304)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (322)
This is a typical Jane Austen book (which undoubtedly you've already read at least Pride and Prejudice), so you must already be accustomed to her style of writing. There is subtle humor in her writing, and though it takes a little while to parse through the etiquette and length phrases of niceties, it is worth it in the end.

The story follows Anne Elliot, the middle daughter of a prideful yet foolish baron, and her progression in love. I believe the most quoted phrase from this book is something along the lines that Anne "had been forced into prudence in her youth, she learned romance as she grew older – the natural sequence of an unnatural beginning." Or something of that sort.

So to condense the story, it basically follows her love life of denying a capricious and emotionally-driven match, only to meet up with that very same man eight years later. It's actually quite humorous how very little the two protagonists speak or even interact - it's almost in the ways they avoid each other that you begin to see the romance. A far cry from modern day romances, to be sure.

For me, however, things moved too quickly and too slowly at the same time (if that is even possible). In one sense, out of nowhere, a plot twist can happen without any foreshadowing just because. Or suddenly two characters fall in love, or there is a spontaneous meeting, or suddenly evil intentions are made known. Although this is typical of Jane Austen, it's all a little too capricious and too coincidental for my liking. (i.e. it pisses me off when plot lines converge too neatly). But at the same time, it moves slowly in the sense that nothing is really happening if you think about it!! I bemoan the actual lack of action and plot.

But oh, her wit is very clever. Austen titles the book "Persuasion", and this comes out in very clever ways and in her philosophy through Anne's eyes when interacting with different characters. So although I am pretty much complaining and nitpicking, I did appreciate many things in the book, including the way you could almost picture the character in your head. Very lovely.

Two and a half stars because I thought it was good, but rounded down because I wouldn't reread it. It is a classic that ought to be read at least once, more to understand this style of writing than for the actual story. Recommended for people who love Jane Austen or the Bronte sisters, or that ilk of books. Also recommended for people who want to broaden their horizons on different styles of writing. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
I must admit that a sizable percent of the book was unintelligible to me. But what I missed was not, I believe the meat and potatoes of the book. I was not missing the passages that confirmed Jane Austen is a literary genius. I do admit, however that Austen is dignified and tender, not to say sophisticated in her treatment of the theme of romance. On a different subject, it was fascinating to read a pre-Victorian novel. It was intriguing to read a book about mostly a woman, written by a woman during less modern times, to put it mildly. I can see that people find the book well written. I can see that it survived obscurity. I just don't see how this book is so prized by readers young and old. ( )
  Jiraiya | Sep 10, 2014 |
My favorite scene from all of Jane Austen is in this book. ( )
  Davraena | Sep 7, 2014 |
Even better the second time! (Finished again 19 Ma 2009) ( )
  GraceZ | Sep 6, 2014 |

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Sir Walter Elliot, of Kellynch-hall, in Somersetshire, was a man who, for his own amusement, never took up any book but the Baronetage; there he found occupation for an idle hour, and consolation in a distressed one; there his faculties were roused into admiration and respect, by contemplating the limited remnant of the earliest patents; there any unwelcome sensations, arising from domestic affairs, changed naturally into pity and contempt.
She had been forced into prudence in her youth, she learned romance as she grew older: the natural sequel of an unnatural beginning.
the isbn 0486295559 is associated withe Dover edition of persuasion, not the Norton Critical Edition

Anne Elliott, bullied or ignored by her father and sisters, relinquished her hopes of love when she was forced to reject Captain Wentworth. Now, years later, they meet again: he, prosperous and eligible, scarcely recognises the faded pretty woman. And she stays quietly in the background as he courts the lively and affectionate Louisa Musgrove. So why, when she joins her family in Bath, does Anne hesitate over the eminently suitable addresses paid to her by a distant cousin? And why does Captian Wentworth appear there too? While Jane Austen is here as quick as ever to ridicule self-importance, self-interest and cold-heartedness, while she tellingly contrasts the icy snobbery of the Elliots with the openness and warmth of Wentworth's naval friends, this novel has a tenderness and gravity which makes it unique among her works.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439688, Paperback)

Anne Elliot, heroine of Austen's last novel, did something we can all relate to: Long ago, she let the love of her life get away. In this case, she had allowed herself to be persuaded by a trusted family friend that the young man she loved wasn't an adequate match, social stationwise, and that Anne could do better. The novel opens some seven years after Anne sent her beau packing, and she's still alone. But then the guy she never stopped loving comes back from the sea. As always, Austen's storytelling is so confident, you can't help but allow yourself to be taken on the enjoyable journey.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:47 -0400)

Twenty-seven-year old Anne Elliot is Austen's most adult heroine. Eight years before the story proper begins, she is happily betrothed to a naval officer, Frederick Wentworth, but she precipitously breaks off the engagement when persuaded by her friend La.… (more)

5 1954

Seven editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439688, 0141028114, 0451530837, 0141045140, 0143106287, 0141197692, 0141198834

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,306,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible