Persuasion by Jane Austen

Persuasion (original 1817; edition 2003)

by Jane Austen, Gillian Beer

19,30638783 (4.23)1 / 1280
Member:GoodKnight
Title:Persuasion
Authors:Jane Austen
Other authors:Gillian Beer
Info:London [u.a.] Penguin 2003

Persuasion by Jane Austen (1817)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: This is by no means an obvious recommendation. However, the quality of writing and something of the heroines' characters is similar. The heroines of these two books are both under-appreciated members of their families, who are thought beyond any chance of marriage. They are both forced by circumstance to find courage that they didn't know they possessed and they are rewarded with eventual happiness.… (more)
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: In addition to North and South by Gaskell, Wives and Daughters is another great read for people who love Austen's Persusion and Sense and Sensibility!
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (Anonymous user)
    Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange (mzackin)
    mzackin: This is the story of persuasion told from the other side. It is very well written and stays true to the story, even quoting lines from Austen.
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Slow, languid stories about regret and life choices not understood until they've passed by.
    The Old House at Railes by Mary Emily Pearce (sferguson)
    sferguson: A great book that will be enjoyed by those who are interested in a bit of non-standard romance.
    The Course of Honour by Lindsey Davis (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Mature lovers who find that time brings them together and push them apart over the course of many years.
    Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding (spygirl)
    spygirl: Helen Fielding's first novel Bridget Jones's Diary was a remake of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The sequel, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason is a remake of Austen's Persuasion.
1810s (5)
Elevenses (211)

English (367)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  German (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (1)  All (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (386)
Originally posted here

This is the second Jane Austen novel that I have ever read. The first being Pride and Prejudice, a book I absolutely adored. I could not help but compare Persuasion to it and I am sad to say I was a bit disappointed. I wanted something as full of wry wit and humour as Pride and Prejudice, but it's a completely different sort of story.

Anne Elliot is our heroine, on the cusp of spinsterhood at the grand old age of twenty-seven. She has deep regret of rejecting Frederick Wentworth's proposal many years ago on the advice of a deeply respected family friend. Of course circumstances ensue that bring Captain Wentworth back into her social circle, will they reconnect? That is basically the sum of the story, with a few twists and very mild shenanigans thrown in.

I'm going to be brutally honest here and say that I found the story boring, and hard to follow. I felt incredibly depressed reading this book as the themes of gender inequality and social class started to emerge. I found Mrs. Smith particularly tragic as the portrayal of a widow left penniless by the death of her husband and living as a social pariah. Reading Persuasion made me so thankful that I'm not living in the early nineteenth century, I can tell you. Unmarried or penniless widowed women were not worth much at all.

As for the 'romance' between Anne and Captain Wentworth. What romance? They barely speak to each other for the majority of the book. They exchange a couple of furtive glances whilst Anne obviously wants to say so much to him but because of social convention she just has to stay silent and hope he can miraculously read her mind. It just didn't appeal to me personally as evidenced by that fact that it took me a whole week to read which is unusual for me.

Needless to say, this is not one of my favourite Jane Austen novels so far, and I can only hope I will enjoy her others more.  ( )
1 vote 4everfanatical | Feb 19, 2017 |
Persuasion is absolutely my favourite Austen. I've always seen it as more poignant then it was probably intended to be. I imagine Jane scribbling away at it on her deathbed and I wonder if Persuasion reflects the happy ever after which Jane Austen herself never received. I see parallels between the prologue story of Captain Wentworth and Anne, and what we know of Austen's one brush with love. ( )
  Charli30902 | Jan 5, 2017 |
2006 Review:

27 year old middle daugher turned down a first love at 19 due to friends advice. Always regretted. Man comes back and makes a play again. Successful.

Not necessarily Austen's most engaging, but my favorite none the less.

2014 Review:

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.com by express permission of this reviewer   Synopsis A 27 year old middle daughter turned down a first love at 19 due to a friend's advice. She always regretted that refusal. Now,  Family Circumstances throw her back into his sphere and we get to see the End of the Story..   My Thoughts Since this is my 3rd read [read it in '03 and '06] and I enjoyed it as much if not more so than the previous times, I thought I'd bump this up to a 5 Star. 3 reads, all enjoyable, how can that NOT be a 5 star?   There is very little real drama that goes on in this book. Any that does occur is so far off stage that it might as well not be part of the book and I think that is a big part of why I like this book so much. It is about the slow maturation of a love spurned that wouldn't die. And it ends up blooming.   Honestly, I can't pin down WHY I like this Austen book more than her others. It isn't better written, it isn't more exciting, less actually happens, side characters are less fleshed out but I still like this the best.   When I read books like Wizard Squared and I despair of liking female writers, Austen grounds me and reminds me that she can write books that just absolutely astound me, again and again and again and so hope doesn't die. It also shows me that I like Romance, real romance however.   Rating: 5 of 5 Stars Author: Jane Austen " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Class divisions. Desperate longing. Celebrate Jane Austen’s birthday this month by picking up her final work, this deeply emotional classic novel about a love that stands the test of time.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Dec 7, 2016 |
Persuasion is the last complete novel of Jane Austen. It’s the story of Anne Elliot and Captain Frederick Wentworth and the misunderstandings that lead to their happily ever after. Anne and Frederick were to be engaged to be married when Lady Russel persuaded Anne that she could do better. Frederick went off to be a seaman and came back a rich. As he and Anne are re-introduced the interaction between become comically tense.

In true Jane Austen style, Persuasion touches a number of characters in Anne and Fredrick’s circles and deals with a lot of interconnected relationships. However, this was one book that I found a little on the slow side, I absolutely loved the story, I just wished it got to the ending a bit quicker - and preferably less of the Musgroves and Anne’s father and older sister.

Pacing aside, I found Persuasion to be an charming read (or in my case, listen) and a bit of a comedy of errors when it comes to Anne and Fredrick. Jane Austen fans will enjoy.
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
L'occasion de s'attacher aux amours empêchées d'une héroïne tout sauf résignée.
added by miniwark | editTélérama, Nathalie Crom (Jul 9, 2011)

Austen, Janeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Sir Walter Elliot, of Kellynch-hall, in Somersetshire, was a man who, for his own amusement, never took up any book but the Baronetage; there he found occupation for an idle hour, and consolation in a distressed one; there his faculties were roused into admiration and respect, by contemplating the limited remnant of the earliest patents; there any unwelcome sensations, arising from domestic affairs, changed naturally into pity and contempt.
On 8 August 1815, English newspapers took note of the departure for Saint Helena of HMS Northumberland and, with it, a prisoner. (Introduction)
She had been forced into prudence in her youth, she learned romance as she grew older: the natural sequel of an unnatural beginning.
the isbn 0486295559 is associated withe Dover edition of persuasion, not the Norton Critical Edition

Anne Elliott, bullied or ignored by her father and sisters, relinquished her hopes of love when she was forced to reject Captain Wentworth. Now, years later, they meet again: he, prosperous and eligible, scarcely recognises the faded pretty woman. And she stays quietly in the background as he courts the lively and affectionate Louisa Musgrove. So why, when she joins her family in Bath, does Anne hesitate over the eminently suitable addresses paid to her by a distant cousin? And why does Captian Wentworth appear there too? While Jane Austen is here as quick as ever to ridicule self-importance, self-interest and cold-heartedness, while she tellingly contrasts the icy snobbery of the Elliots with the openness and warmth of Wentworth's naval friends, this novel has a tenderness and gravity which makes it unique among her works.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439688, Paperback)

Anne Elliot, heroine of Austen's last novel, did something we can all relate to: Long ago, she let the love of her life get away. In this case, she had allowed herself to be persuaded by a trusted family friend that the young man she loved wasn't an adequate match, social stationwise, and that Anne could do better. The novel opens some seven years after Anne sent her beau packing, and she's still alone. But then the guy she never stopped loving comes back from the sea. As always, Austen's storytelling is so confident, you can't help but allow yourself to be taken on the enjoyable journey.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:35 -0400)

Twenty-seven-year old Anne Elliot is Austen's most adult heroine. Eight years before the story proper begins, she is happily betrothed to a naval officer, Frederick Wentworth, but she precipitously breaks off the engagement when persuaded by her friend La.… (more)

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439688, 0141028114, 0451530837, 0141045140, 0143106287, 0141197692, 0141198834

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 190917534X, 1909175358

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,262,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible