Persuasion by Jane Austen

Persuasion (original 1817; edition 2003)

by Jane Austen, Gillian Beer

17,68533997 (4.24)1 / 1128
Member:GoodKnight
Title:Persuasion
Authors:Jane Austen
Other authors:Gillian Beer
Info:London [u.a.] Penguin 2003

Persuasion by Jane Austen (1817)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: In addition to North and South by Gaskell, Wives and Daughters is another great read for people who love Austen's Persusion and Sense and Sensibility!
    The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: This is by no means an obvious recommendation. However, the quality of writing and something of the heroines' characters is similar. The heroines of these two books are both under-appreciated members of their families, who are thought beyond any chance of marriage. They are both forced by circumstance to find courage that they didn't know they possessed and they are rewarded with eventual happiness.… (more)
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (Anonymous user)
    Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange (mzackin)
    mzackin: This is the story of persuasion told from the other side. It is very well written and stays true to the story, even quoting lines from Austen.
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Slow, languid stories about regret and life choices not understood until they've passed by.
    The Old House at Railes by Mary Emily Pearce (sferguson)
    sferguson: A great book that will be enjoyed by those who are interested in a bit of non-standard romance.
    Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding (spygirl)
    spygirl: Helen Fielding's first novel Bridget Jones's Diary was a remake of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The sequel, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason is a remake of Austen's Persuasion.

English (319)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (337)
Plot:
Many years ago, Anne Elliot was engaged to Frederick Wentworth, but took the advice of her motherly friend Lady Russell, as well as listened to the opinions of her father Sir Walter and her sister Elizabeth and dissolved the engagement since Wentworth didn’t have much standing. Quite by coincidence Frederick is back in her life after years in the Navy and has made a name for himself as well as a fortune. Anne is convinced, though, that he will never forgive her for her past actions. And when her cousin William Elliot starts courting her, she might be getting another chance, despite being alread 27 years old and still unmarried.

I really enjoyed Persuasion, even though it means that there are no new Austen novels for me anymore. But that just means that I’ll have to re-read everything. In any case, Persuasion shines with vibrant characters and a sweet story.

Read more on my blog: http://kalafudra.com/2015/05/29/persuasion-jane-austen/ ( )
  kalafudra | Jun 2, 2015 |
My experience when it comes to reading a book adaption of a movie I have seen or seeing a movie version of a book I have read is generally the same. I tend to like the version which I have read or seen first better than the one I've experienced second. This is not necessarily the Case with Jane Austen's Persuasion.

I really enjoy the film Persuasion and have just recently finished the novel. I am a big fan of Austen's works generally through the medium of film. I found that the reading of Persuasion really enhanced my appreciation of the film. Much of the dialogue in the movie is pulled verbatim from the book. The only difference being that it was adapted into dialogue from exposition in the original source. This task is done artfully by the filmmakers and removes any need of a voiceover narration which would have hampered the cinematic presentation.

On the other hand, a reading of Persuasion gave me new insights and understanding of her characters some that I had grown to love and others I had learned to disdain in my multiple viewings. Mary, for example, is a much worse sister to Anne on paper than celluloid. If you have seen the film, you know that is quite an achievement. There is also more to like about Captain Wentworth, Mrs. Smith and even Lady Russell.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone, especially those fond of any Austen work in print or pixel. ( )
  DaveRoller | Jun 1, 2015 |
Certainly I admire Jane Austin's place in British literature; although this book moved so slowly that I failed to complete. ( )
  rharrisonblack | May 12, 2015 |
I read "Persuasion" as part of the Book Riot Read Harder challenge (satisfying the "book published before 1850" requirement). It was like pulling teeth. I know that reading the classics, like eating brussel sprouts, is good for me. But, man, I hate brussel sprouts and I am just not a fan of 19th century British literature (a fact I forgot about when I chose this book. I haven't read 19th century British lit since high school TWENTY YEARS AGO). I'm sure there are Anglophiles who want to beat me to a bloody pulp for one-starring this book, but I could not get into it. At all. There is just so much...propriety. 90% of the book is just wading through boring details of family histories and understanding why so-and-so should marry so-and-so. And EVERYTHING centers around marriage. It makes me a little sick to my stomach. I do wonder what people will think of this century's novels in 200 years. I'm sure they will be nauseating in their own way. But, still, I love modern fiction and will stick with that. ( )
  KimHooperWrites | May 8, 2015 |
Definitely one of my favorite Jane Austen novels! The heroine, Anne, is 28 and single. Persuaded by her close friend, Lady Russell, Anne breaks off an engagement to a charming man because it isn't proper or a good match. Eight years later their paths cross again, but this time he is a man of fortune and more than a respectable match. No one knows of their previous engagement except for Lady Russell, so Anne must suffer in silence at every dinner party and outing that he is at. Her heart is aching for him, but he seems to have no more regard for her after she broke his heart and in turn focuses his attention on one of her brother in law's sisters. Filled with classic Austen characters, this book is enjoyable from beginning to end and moves rather quickly compared to some of her other novels. I can't wait to check out one of the movie adaptations! ( )
  ecataldi | May 6, 2015 |

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Sir Walter Elliot, of Kellynch-hall, in Somersetshire, was a man who, for his own amusement, never took up any book but the Baronetage; there he found occupation for an idle hour, and consolation in a distressed one; there his faculties were roused into admiration and respect, by contemplating the limited remnant of the earliest patents; there any unwelcome sensations, arising from domestic affairs, changed naturally into pity and contempt.
She had been forced into prudence in her youth, she learned romance as she grew older: the natural sequel of an unnatural beginning.
the isbn 0486295559 is associated withe Dover edition of persuasion, not the Norton Critical Edition

Anne Elliott, bullied or ignored by her father and sisters, relinquished her hopes of love when she was forced to reject Captain Wentworth. Now, years later, they meet again: he, prosperous and eligible, scarcely recognises the faded pretty woman. And she stays quietly in the background as he courts the lively and affectionate Louisa Musgrove. So why, when she joins her family in Bath, does Anne hesitate over the eminently suitable addresses paid to her by a distant cousin? And why does Captian Wentworth appear there too? While Jane Austen is here as quick as ever to ridicule self-importance, self-interest and cold-heartedness, while she tellingly contrasts the icy snobbery of the Elliots with the openness and warmth of Wentworth's naval friends, this novel has a tenderness and gravity which makes it unique among her works.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439688, Paperback)

Anne Elliot, heroine of Austen's last novel, did something we can all relate to: Long ago, she let the love of her life get away. In this case, she had allowed herself to be persuaded by a trusted family friend that the young man she loved wasn't an adequate match, social stationwise, and that Anne could do better. The novel opens some seven years after Anne sent her beau packing, and she's still alone. But then the guy she never stopped loving comes back from the sea. As always, Austen's storytelling is so confident, you can't help but allow yourself to be taken on the enjoyable journey.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:35 -0400)

Twenty-seven-year old Anne Elliot is Austen's most adult heroine. Eight years before the story proper begins, she is happily betrothed to a naval officer, Frederick Wentworth, but she precipitously breaks off the engagement when persuaded by her friend La.… (more)

5 2027

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439688, 0141028114, 0451530837, 0141045140, 0143106287, 0141197692, 0141198834

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,929,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible