Persuasion by Jane Austen

Persuasion (original 1817; edition 2003)

by Jane Austen, Gillian Beer

19,43439182 (4.23)1 / 1291
Member:GoodKnight
Title:Persuasion
Authors:Jane Austen
Other authors:Gillian Beer
Info:London [u.a.] Penguin 2003

Persuasion by Jane Austen (1817)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: In addition to North and South by Gaskell, Wives and Daughters is another great read for people who love Austen's Persusion and Sense and Sensibility!
    The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: This is by no means an obvious recommendation. However, the quality of writing and something of the heroines' characters is similar. The heroines of these two books are both under-appreciated members of their families, who are thought beyond any chance of marriage. They are both forced by circumstance to find courage that they didn't know they possessed and they are rewarded with eventual happiness.… (more)
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (Anonymous user)
    Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange (mzackin)
    mzackin: This is the story of persuasion told from the other side. It is very well written and stays true to the story, even quoting lines from Austen.
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Slow, languid stories about regret and life choices not understood until they've passed by.
    The Old House at Railes by Mary Emily Pearce (sferguson)
    sferguson: A great book that will be enjoyed by those who are interested in a bit of non-standard romance.
    The Course of Honour by Lindsey Davis (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Mature lovers who find that time brings them together and push them apart over the course of many years.
    Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding (spygirl)
    spygirl: Helen Fielding's first novel Bridget Jones's Diary was a remake of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The sequel, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason is a remake of Austen's Persuasion.
Elevenses (131)
1810s (5)

English (371)  Spanish (6)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  All (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (391)
Although I enjoyed Persuasion, it's not my favorite Jane Austen novel. I really love Pride and Prejudice and I just don't think Persuasion had the same wittiness nor was it as engaging as Pride and Prejudice. ( )
  jthao_02 | May 18, 2017 |
Wiltshire--Modern Interpretations; Lane--Regency Life; Sanderson-Geographical Settings; Ross-A Modern Perspective
  Buttercup25 | May 17, 2017 |
I did not like it at first but as the story unravels, I find it good. I don't know why I read the theme of unrequited love nowadays lol. But this book is a Jane Austen's novel so I know it will have a happy ending, and it did.

Anne Elliot and Captain Wentworth were parted for eight and a half years but they still have feelings for each other. It was just acted upon the last two chapters of the book. It is because during the past years, Anne was persuaded by her friend Lady Russell that Wentworth was not worthy of her so she declined his marriage proposal.

This is my most favorite part:

"I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means
as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony,
half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings
are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart
even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years
and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman,
that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you.
Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been,
but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath.
For you alone, I think and plan. Have you not seen this?
Can you fail to have understood my wishes? I had not waited even
these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you must have penetrated mine. I can hardly write..." ( )
  phoibee | Apr 23, 2017 |
This is my favorite of all of Jane Austen's books, and Ann Eliot is my favorite - and probably most believable - of Austen's heroines. I just have to cheer when she foils her silly, snobbish father and waltzes off with the now-rich Captain Wentworth.. This book is a gem in every way. ( )
1 vote etxgardener | Apr 2, 2017 |
Yo Mr Darcy, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but Frederick Wentworth is one of the best romantic heroes of all time. Of all time! ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
L'occasion de s'attacher aux amours empêchées d'une héroïne tout sauf résignée.
added by miniwark | editTélérama, Nathalie Crom (Jul 9, 2011)

Austen, Janeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice Mansfield Park Persuasion by Jane Austen

The Complete Novels (including Lady Susan) by Jane Austen

Persuasion / A Memoir of Jane Austen by Jane Austen

Collected Works {undistinguished} by Jane Austen

Emma / Mansfield Park / Northanger Abbey / Persuasion / Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Sir Walter Elliot, of Kellynch-hall, in Somersetshire, was a man who, for his own amusement, never took up any book but the Baronetage; there he found occupation for an idle hour, and consolation in a distressed one; there his faculties were roused into admiration and respect, by contemplating the limited remnant of the earliest patents; there any unwelcome sensations, arising from domestic affairs, changed naturally into pity and contempt.
On 8 August 1815, English newspapers took note of the departure for Saint Helena of HMS Northumberland and, with it, a prisoner. (Introduction)
She had been forced into prudence in her youth, she learned romance as she grew older: the natural sequel of an unnatural beginning.
the isbn 0486295559 is associated withe Dover edition of persuasion, not the Norton Critical Edition

Anne Elliott, bullied or ignored by her father and sisters, relinquished her hopes of love when she was forced to reject Captain Wentworth. Now, years later, they meet again: he, prosperous and eligible, scarcely recognises the faded pretty woman. And she stays quietly in the background as he courts the lively and affectionate Louisa Musgrove. So why, when she joins her family in Bath, does Anne hesitate over the eminently suitable addresses paid to her by a distant cousin? And why does Captian Wentworth appear there too? While Jane Austen is here as quick as ever to ridicule self-importance, self-interest and cold-heartedness, while she tellingly contrasts the icy snobbery of the Elliots with the openness and warmth of Wentworth's naval friends, this novel has a tenderness and gravity which makes it unique among her works.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439688, Paperback)

Anne Elliot, heroine of Austen's last novel, did something we can all relate to: Long ago, she let the love of her life get away. In this case, she had allowed herself to be persuaded by a trusted family friend that the young man she loved wasn't an adequate match, social stationwise, and that Anne could do better. The novel opens some seven years after Anne sent her beau packing, and she's still alone. But then the guy she never stopped loving comes back from the sea. As always, Austen's storytelling is so confident, you can't help but allow yourself to be taken on the enjoyable journey.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:35 -0400)

Twenty-seven-year old Anne Elliot is Austen's most adult heroine. Eight years before the story proper begins, she is happily betrothed to a naval officer, Frederick Wentworth, but she precipitously breaks off the engagement when persuaded by her friend La.… (more)

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439688, 0141028114, 0451530837, 0141045140, 0143106287, 0141197692, 0141198834

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 190917534X, 1909175358

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,407,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible