The Golden Ball and Other Stories by Agatha…

The Golden Ball and Other Stories (1971)

by Agatha Christie

Recently added byA-JCHS, DeboraNunes, private library, annagracek13, mkergan, Course8, jr864, lindab, loveisanaction

English (8)  German (1)  All (9)
I must say that I had hesitated reading this book as I knew it was not one of Christie's better known detective stories. I was very surprised and pleased.

15 Stories:

1. The Listerdale Mystery: A woman in desperate straits finds a good home

2. The Girl on the Train: A young woman jumps on a train making a fast escape

3. The Manhood of Edward Robinson: A Young man learns to stand up to his bossy fiance

4. Jane in Search of a Job: A young woman agrees to impersonate a princess and ends up involved in a jewel heist

5. A Fruitful Sunday: A young couple find adventure & a ruby necklace

6. The Golden Ball: A young man ousted by his uncle makes good

7. The Raja's Emerald: A spurned young man makes good after finding a stolen emerald

8. Swan Song: An opera singer faces her past

9. The Hound of Death: A refugee nun, a secret cult, and the vanquishing of evil

10. The Gipsy: A young man and a Gipsy that is ever present warning him of danger

11. The Lamp: A haunted house, a ghost child, & a strange death

12. The Strange Case of Arthur Carmichael: A young man in a trance acting very strangely and a grey ghost cat

13. The Call of Wings: A once impoverished millionaire begins having visions of doom

14. Magnolia Blossom: A run-away wife returns home to save her husband from disaster

15. Next to a Dog: A young woman is offered a much needed position, but declines for love of her dog ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 8, 2017 |
These are stories that a definitely written for the times. We get a man who learns how to be manly when he buys a car and hides it from his fiance. British imperialism is written throughout the book. This edition didn't tell me when the stories were written - so at times some stories seemed quite modern, while others seemed much older. Generally, the women were plucky, finding love with an appropriate Gentlemen, Men were either manly, or bookish. Its a book filled with stereotypes, most that are inappropriate for today's world.

One last thing - I didn't expect to find mysticism/magic realism in these stories. A few of them were borderline ghost stories.

The standout story for me was the "Listerdale Mystery" - where a widow with little money and children to take of moves into a house that seems to good to be true.

Recommended if you like the author, but I think it might be better to read one of her well known books first. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | May 14, 2016 |

6. The Golden Ball: A young man ousted by his uncle makes good

8. Swan Song: An opera singer faces her past

11. The Lamp: A haunted house, a ghost child, & a strange death

Auntie-Nanuuq | Feb 18, 2016 |
This rather miscellaneous collection of stories seems to have been assembled by the publisher after Christie's death; what the stories have in common is that they aren't traditional mysteries. Few involve murder; several involve supernatural occurrences. Those stories, I found tedious. My three favorites all involved conventional, rather weak young men driven to unusual extremes and impressing ladies with their new forcefulness. One breaks into someone else's bathing cottage and winds up with a stolen emerald; another accidentally drives away in someone else's car, also containing stolen jewels, and the third picks up a beautiful society girl and is pulled into an apparent holdup. Those three were quite entertaining, but the book as a whole did not earn a place on my bookshelf. ( )
  jholcomb | Jun 4, 2010 |
This was far from a stunning collection of stories, but it was interesting. I felt curiously cheated to have two stories that start with a nephew fired from his job by his uncle for laziness, even if they did head off in different directions. The mundane stories weren't bad, but they weren't brilliant, unlike much of Christie's novel-length work.

I found the supernatural material intriguing. It was clearly pre-Tolkien material, bound to the modern world, with the supernatural vaguely impinging on the British world, but not less interesting because of that. Works of a subgenre of fantasy that is just too tame to get published in today's world.
  prosfilaes | May 28, 2008 |
Mrs. St. Vincent was adding up figures. (The Listerdale Mystery)

The Listerdale Mystery; The Girl in the Train; The Manhood of Edward Robinson; Jane in Search of a Job; A Fruitful Sunday; The Golden Ball; The Rajah's Emerald; Swan Song; The Hound of Death; The Gipsy; The Lamp; The Strange Case of Sir Andrew Carmichael; The Call of Wings; Magnolia Blossom; Next to a Dog.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312981694, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:08 -0400)

Is it a gesture of good will or a sinister trap that lures Rupert St. Vincent and his family to magnificent estate? How desperate is Joyce Lambert, a destitute young widow whose only recourse is to marry a man she despises? What unexpected circumstance stirs old loyalties in Theodora Darrell, and unfaithful wife about to run away with her lover? In this collection of short stories, the answers are as unexpected as they are satisfying. The Queen of Crime takes bizarre romantic entanglements, supernatural visitations, and classic murder to inventive new heights.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,517,269 books! | Top bar: Always visible