Night Heron by Adam Brookes

Night Heron

by Adam Brookes

I don't read many thrillers or spy stories, preferring non-fiction books about espionage, but two friends recommended this one and one lent it to me, and I was spellbound from the first paragraph. Brookes is a fabulous writer, and clearly knows his territories, geographic, emotional, etc. ( )
  nmele | Jul 7, 2018 |
This is the story of Peanut a rebel in China who escapes from the reform farm, he used to be a spy for the British and wants to meet up again with his handlers and eventually defect to the West.
I found this book very confusing in places and also boring it failed to engage me, I didn't care for the characters, the plot is Peanut teams up with a British journalist they steal secrets from the Chinese military and are chased by the baddies eventually get away.
I will try and stay away from Spy books in future. Not for me. ( )
  Daftboy1 | Jun 26, 2017 |
0.00
  johnrid11 | Feb 14, 2016 |
An intelligent story, but didn't hold my interest to the end.
I was given a digital copy of this book by the publisher Redhook Books via Netgalley in return for an honest unbiased review. ( )
  Welsh_eileen2 | Jan 23, 2016 |
I really liked this novel for its descriptions of contemporary Asia,
but I am not a huge fan of this sort of mystery that brings in so many characters and so many locations that the focus is all on action with no
real time for character development. I would find it virtually impossible to describe most of the characters using words that describe their personalities, rather than their physical appearance or their status and occupation. ( )
  heathrel | Dec 24, 2015 |

Set in China, and ripped from today's headlines, comes a pulse-pounding debut that reinvents the spy thriller for the 21st century.

A lone man, Peanut, escapes a labor camp in the dead of night, fleeing across the winter desert of north-west China.

Two decades earlier, he was a spy for the British; now Peanut must disappear on Beijing's surveillance-blanketed streets. Desperate and ruthless, he reaches out to his one-time MI6 paymasters via crusading journalist Philip Mangan, offering military secrets in return for extraction.

But the secrets prove more valuable than Peanut or Mangan could ever have known... and not only to the British.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:28 -0400)

Former British spy Peanut reaches out to his one-time MI6 paymasters via crusading journalist Philip Mangan, offering military secrets in return for extraction from Beijing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Adam Brookes's book Night Heron was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,015,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible