Nine (The Last Thirteen, #5)

Nine (The Last Thirteen, #5)

301568,272 (4)None
Kidnapped from school and finding out his parents aren't who he thinks they are, Sam is suddenly running from danger at every turn. With his life and identity shattered, Sam's salvation is tied to an ancient prophecy. He is in the final battle to save the world, up against an enemy plotting to destroy us all. He alone can find the last 13.… (more)
Member:Rempala
Title:Nine (The Last Thirteen, #5)
Authors:
Info:Publisher Unknown, 192 pages
Collections:2015
Rating:*****

9 by James Phelan

It’s getting harder to write reviews for these books. They all follow a very similar formula, so it’s difficult not to think of them all being the same. Every book starts with Sam escaping the predicament he found himself in at the end of the last book, going back to the Academy/the Professor/the good guys, talking about stuff, having another dream, going to the place he dreamed of, locating the gear, fighting one of multiple different enemies, then ending in a cliffhanger. Except its not really a cliffhanger when we know there’s more books to come and with Sam as the main character, he’s not going to be killed off in a hurry. Interposed with Alex and Eva’s perspectives to let you know what else is going on elsewhere, the books should be easy to get bored with.

But I’m not bored yet.

Which is weird. For me, after a few average reviews I normally wouldn’t stick with a series, especially one that is going to have so many books. I’m still not sure if it will be worth it, but I’m going to see it out. I have the next book, Eight, ready to go once I finish this review, then a couple of weeks to wait for Seven, and knowing this series won’t end until December still hasn’t put me off. It may be because they’re such quick, easy reads, but mainly I think I’m enjoying them despite the simplistic language that sometimes makes me roll my eyes and the shortness of the stories. I still think there’s more that could be done if they were expanded and made longer while not losing their appeal to the target audience, then maybe they wouldn’t all follow that predictable formula. However, this is what we’ve got and it doesn’t look like it will be changing. The one thing I haven’t yet predicted is how it will all end. There’s still another eight books til then and I’m holding onto the hope that anything could happen. You never know, he might surprise us!
  crashmyparty | May 19, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,803,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible