Akata Warrior by Nnedi Okorafor

by Nnedi Okorafor

Series: Akata Witch (2)

Worldcon 76 Award for Best Young Adult Book Nominee
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
fiction, fantasy, mythology, African mythology ( )
  bostonian71 | Sep 4, 2018 |
I found Akata Warrior more enjoyable and better put together than Akata Witch. Whereas Akata Witch felt like a series of incidents loosely strung together with a climax tacked on, Akata Warrior had drive and focus: incidents led to each other in a pretty clear and straightforward way. Sunny needs to help her brother, which leads to a punishment, which leads to a vision, and so on. I also think her character had a more clear throughline as well, in terms of (much like in the Binti books) finding her place in a society she doesn't quite fit into thanks to both time spent away from it and physical uniqueness and special abilities.

There's a lot of nice moments and good character touches here. I liked the expanded focus on Sunny's relationships with her family (who felt very one-dimensional in Akata Witch), especially her brother, who runs afoul of confraternity at university and ends up being partially initiated into the world of the magical Leopard People as a result. I also enjoyed the flying giant rat, the strange language of the book Sunny attempts to read, the tangled relationships among the kids, and more. After the first book, I was skeptical about the second, but I would definitely read a third.
  Stevil2001 | Jul 27, 2018 |

A rollicking tale of 13-year-old Sunny, who is an albino Nigerian and also part of the magical Leopard Society, and must confront human and inhuman enemies to save her society. I particularly loved the immersion in Nigerian contemporary detail, adapting a lot of Young Wizard tropes to a non-Western society with great efficiency. It's still not really my sub-genre, and it loses a point or two for being second in a series where I haven't read the first, but in general thumbs up. I bounced pretty thoroughly off both the Binti novellas, but really liked Lagoon which was also firmly set in Nigeria with a difference. ( )
  nwhyte | May 21, 2018 |
A great sequel that dives deeper into the personalities of the characters, particularly with Sunny and her brothers. The stunning indifference/cruelty of the adults is rather startling. ( )
  dcoward | Jan 25, 2018 |

Okorafor, NnediAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ruth, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the stories that constantly breathe on my neck. I see you.
Greetings from the Obi Library Collective of Leopard Knocks' Department of Responsibility.

Now stronger, feistier, and a bit older, Sunny Nwazue, along with her friends from the the Leopard Society, travel through worlds, both visible and invisible, to the mysterious town of Osisi, where they fight in a climactic battle to save humanity.

Nnedi Okorafor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,597,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible