dismiss

A Simple Plan

by Scott Smith

From the author of "The Ruins" comes his debut New York Times bestselling thriller, "A Simple Plan," read by Griffin Dunne. Hank Mitchell thought he lived an ordinary, ordered life. But on one chilly afternoon, Hank, his brother Jacob, and Jacob's unsavory pal Lou, make a discovery that offers a chance for a life filled with riches beyond their wildest dreams. And in a fateful moment, Hank lays a plan to claim that life . . . and the horrific crumbling of his ordered world begins . . .… (more)
    Mystic River by Dennis Lehane (sturlington)
    No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both are books in which found money leads to unexpected, horrific consequences.
    Magic by William Goldman (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    Angels of Light by Jeff Long (VictoriaPL)

English (44)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (47)
A decent thriller with a storyline that on the whole isn't too predictable. It does end a little anticlimactically though. The main protagonist's descent from decent normal person to heartless killer seems a bit unrealistic. ( )
  adam.currey | Jun 20, 2020 |
This was another of Bill MacDonald's recommendations (and my friend, Jeanie, says she told me to read it months ago)... so I read it. Really interesting. Hank Mitchell and his brother and his brother's friend find $4.4 million that no one is looking for. Hank is an accountant, married to Sarah who's expecting their first child in mere weeks. His life is fine, well-ordered. Until they find the money. This story is not at all predictable and one I'll be thinking about for a while. ( )
  susandennis | Jun 5, 2020 |
Excellent read although I felt terrible after reading it. A great sign of a book. The willingness of supposedly good natured people to descend into depravity and murder for the sake of wealth was fantastically told. ( )
  Conor.Murphy | May 27, 2020 |
I liked this book a lot!

It was very easy to identify with Hank, the protagonist of this story. Imagine that you and your two siblings find a bag full of money in a plane that crashed that no one has yet discovered. Would you keep it or not? That is the gist of this story.

Just think about how one simple lie in your life could spiral out of control...into more lies and things MUCH worse than that, even. That's exactly what happened here, It was very easy to take the next step with Hank, and then the next, and so on. At first, the reader feels sorry for him, but not for long as he tangles himself up further and further by the minute. The last quarter of this book turned into a nightmare from which I could not pull myself away. I did feel that the last scenes slightly stepped over the line of believability and for that I deducted one star.

Overall, I enjoyed this story quite a bit and would recommend it to anyone that enjoys a fast paced thriller with some blood and gore. Good times, good times. ( )
  Charrlygirl | Mar 22, 2020 |
Scott Smith's beautifully controlled and disturbing first novel delivers a total of nine deaths, harrowing murders all, but it is surely a morality tale, with not a whiff of the whodunit about it. Instead, its trail of blood starkly raises many rudimentary philosophical questions. What is necessary? What is inevitable? What is justifiable? The story's effectiveness in fact hinges on these very tensions. We have a natural resistance to the idea that "ordinary" people could bear the commission, not to mention the psychological consequences, of such atrocities without going mad. And yet they do, which is both alarming and, in the context of the story, utterly plausible. An absorbing exploration of the nature of greed. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |

Scott Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Biondi, MarioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saarinen, OsmoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No man chooses evil because it is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks.
- - MARY WOLLSTONECRAFT
For my parents, with special thanks to Alice Quinn, Gail Hochman, Victoria Wilson, and Elizabeth Hill
My parents died in an automobile accident the year after I was married.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,922,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible