A Simple Plan by Scott Smith

A Simple Plan (edition 1993)

by Scott Smith

Member:sturlington
Title:A Simple Plan
Authors:Scott Smith
Info:New York : Knopf : Distributed by Random House, 1993.
Tags:Horror, Ohio, Kindle ebook, contemporary, novel, read in 2012

A Simple Plan by Scott Smith

Angels of Light by Jeff Long (VictoriaPL)
    No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both are books in which found money leads to unexpected, horrific consequences.
    Magic by William Goldman (SomeGuyInVirginia)

English (36)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (39)
I've listened to this on audio and seen the movie - the movie stands out in my mind because Billie Bob Thornton was in it, and I remember it being a good movie that really held my attention, but I didn't remember the listen until I saw it on my daughter's shelf - she said we listened to it as a family on a car trip.
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |
WOW ... murder, greed, plotting. The movie (which was terrific) has a somewhat different ending. I'm torn as to whether the movie or the book is better. But the book is fantastic. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jan 27, 2016 |
I read this book as a Blind Date With a Book read and I'm glad I did. It is a captivating book that reveals how human instincts and greed can turn even the best of us into deadly predators. A page-turner of a suspense novel that is nearly impossible to put down. It captures your whole being and won't let you go until the last page. If you like a book with a great plot and lots of complex twists then you should read this book. Can't wait to read another book by this author. ( )
  EadieB | Jan 19, 2016 |
Finished reading this book. Good story. Very gripping and the progression feels natural. The characters have some flaws in them like real-life characters. They make mistakes, have some amount of conscience.

What I didn't like about the book was the gloomy, hopelessness feel throughout the story. One after another things keep taking a bad turn for them. At some point I felt that I wouldn't ever have done what the main character was doing but okay.. his life his way.

The murders wasn't good to read about. It made the book feel more like a psycho-killer kinds than a suspense thriller. But overall it kept me gripped till the end because I wanted to find out what happens to the characters and I cared about them.

I really liked his wife. She was so stable and accepting of everything. Questioned him on various occasions and provided guidance. It made me feel like maybe it's worth getting married after all.
  MugenHere | Jul 12, 2015 |
Smith, Scott
A Simple Plan

Fiction
This is the story of three men who find $4.5 million in the woods and become casualties of a war between fantasy and reality. From the moment these men find the money any action is rationalized in their attempt to hold on to it and escape detection. Smith's brand of suspense is so unrelenting that you will beg for mercy more than once. The movie by the same name, starring Bill Paxton and Billy Bob Thornton, surprisingly altered the events of the story, but without any loss of quality. Both the book and the movie are good storytelling. If you like merciless suspense you will also like The Ruins, Smith's second book, which features a unique manifestation of evil as the main character. (You can skip the movie version of The Ruins.) The Blunderer, by Patricia Highsmith, is also a good choice for suspense with the added bonus of a sucker-punch ending. An equally brutal treatment of characters can be explored in Evelyn Waugh's civilized, subtle, and unforgettable A Handful of Dust; Waugh was chastised for his treatment of the protagonist and accused of hatred toward the characters.
Recommended February 2014
  dawsong | Jun 15, 2015 |

Scott Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Biondi, MarioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saarinen, OsmoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No man chooses evil because it is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks.
- - MARY WOLLSTONECRAFT
For my parents, with special thanks to Alice Quinn, Gail Hochman, Victoria Wilson, and Elizabeth Hill
My parents died in an automobile accident the year after I was married.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307278271, Mass Market Paperback)

It All Seemed So Simple...

Two brothers and their friend stumble upon the wreckage of a plane—the pilot is dead and his duffle bag contains four million dollars in cash. The men agree to hide, keep and share the fortune. But what started off as a simple plan slowly devolves into a gruesome nightmare none of them can control.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:47 -0400)

Two brothers and their friend stumble upon the wreakage of a plane--the pilot is dead and his duffle bag contains four million dollars in cash.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,584,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible