A Simple Plan by Scott Smith

A Simple Plan (edition 1993)

by Scott Smith

1,205336,646 (3.82)19
Member:sturlington
Title:A Simple Plan
Authors:Scott Smith
Info:New York : Knopf : Distributed by Random House, 1993.
Collections:Read but unowned, Kindle
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Suspense, Dark, Family, 1990s, guilt, larceny, treasure troves, film adaptation, 2012

A Simple Plan by Scott Smith

No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both are books in which found money leads to unexpected, horrific consequences.
    Magic by William Goldman (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    Angels of Light by Jeff Long (VictoriaPL)

English (30)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (33)
This book was rated as one of the top thrillers ever written in Kirkus Reviews, so I wanted to read it because of that. It wasn't at all like I expected, but it's a very interesting premise for a book. Two brothers and a friend come upon a plane that has crashed in the bush and the pilot is still inside. The pilot is dead, but when Hank Mitchell goes inside the wreckage he finds a duffel bag stuffed with 4.4 million in cash. Hank instantly takes charge and makes a plan that they will take the money and keep it for six months in order to see if the money is being searched for and then, if nothing happens, the money will be divided up among the three of them. The men agree to this plan, but the finding of the money forever changes everyone involved. Reading the book was like watching a disaster unfolding. It went from one bad decision to another as Hank tries to keep the secret and to keep himself from getting caught for stealing. The genius of this author in showing so clearly "that there but for the grace of God go I", is what keeps the momentum going in this book. As I read I couldn't help but put myself into Hank's shoes and it made me question how far I would go if pushed in this way. I would hope that I wouldn't succumb to the temptation to protect the money at all costs like Hank did, but who really knows how one would act in such a situation? The violence that erupts throughout the book was a bit off-putting for me though. But as the story was told from Hank's perspective it placed me in a front-row seat, from Hank's viewpoint, to observe the depths that a seemingly ordinary person can fall to with the right temptation. ( )
  Romonko | Jan 14, 2015 |
vs. movie
  ClosetWryter | Mar 3, 2014 |
Un romanzo che non vedi l'ora di finire e nel contempo che spereresti non finisse mai. Di Smith solamente rammarico: ha scritto due solo due romanzi. Non vedo l'ora che esca il terzo, perché i primi due sono da leggere. ( )
  briolini1113 | Feb 5, 2014 |
I picked this up to fill some time and it's a real page-turner. If you've seen the movie you probably know the plot. Two brothers and a friend discover $4 million in cash in crashed plane. The moral dilemmas escalate from there as they try to hide that they have the money and then kill to keep the secret. An all too-believable story of how otherwise "normal" people get caught up in events that escalate out of control.

A telling quote from Sarah, Hank's wife. Hank is the accountant whom we would assume to be the more moral (why in heaven's name we would assume that is beyond me given the accounting failures of recent years). This comes - SPOILER ALERT - after Hank has shot his friend, his friend's wife, his brother's friend, and his brother, in a plan, now fully supported by Sarah, to keep the millions they found in the plane secret. She says: "What we've done is horrible, but that doesn't make us evil." Yeah, right. They then rationalize how they were "forced" by external pressures to be horrible.

If you get the audio version, avoid the abridged, and get the Recorded Books unabridged read by Peter Bradbury who does a brilliant narration. Audible used to have it available but now lists only the abridged. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
Wow. Um, talk about an unreliable narrator. This novel sickened me more and more while I was reading it, but it fascinated me, too. I detested the narrator by the time I was a quarter of the way through, but of course I had to keep reading to see what he'd do next. ( )
  stacy_chambers | Aug 22, 2013 |

Scott Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Biondi, MarioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No man chooses evil because it is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks.
- - MARY WOLLSTONECRAFT
For my parents, with special thanks to Alice Quinn, Gail Hochman, Victoria Wilson, and Elizabeth Hill
My parents died in an automobile accident the year after I was married.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307278271, Mass Market Paperback)

It All Seemed So Simple...

Two brothers and their friend stumble upon the wreckage of a plane—the pilot is dead and his duffle bag contains four million dollars in cash. The men agree to hide, keep and share the fortune. But what started off as a simple plan slowly devolves into a gruesome nightmare none of them can control.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:51 -0400)

Two brothers and their friend stumble upon the wreakage of a plane--the pilot is dead and his duffle bag contains four million dollars in cash.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,806,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible