A Simple Plan by Scott Smith

A Simple Plan (edition 1993)

by Scott Smith

Member:sturlington
Title:A Simple Plan
Authors:Scott Smith
Info:New York : Knopf : Distributed by Random House, 1993.
Collections:Your library, Kindle
Tags:Guilt, Larceny, Psychological thriller, Fiction, 2012

A Simple Plan by Scott Smith

No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both are books in which found money leads to unexpected, horrific consequences.
    Magic by William Goldman (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    Angels of Light by Jeff Long (VictoriaPL)

English (29)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (32)
vs. movie
  ClosetWryter | Mar 3, 2014 |
Un romanzo che non vedi l'ora di finire e nel contempo che spereresti non finisse mai. Di Smith solamente rammarico: ha scritto due solo due romanzi. Non vedo l'ora che esca il terzo, perché i primi due sono da leggere. ( )
  briolini1113 | Feb 5, 2014 |
I picked this up to fill some time and it's a real page-turner. If you've seen the movie you probably know the plot. Two brothers and a friend discover $4 million in cash in crashed plane. The moral dilemmas escalate from there as they try to hide that they have the money and then kill to keep the secret. An all too-believable story of how otherwise "normal" people get caught up in events that escalate out of control.

A telling quote from Sarah, Hank's wife. Hank is the accountant whom we would assume to be the more moral (why in heaven's name we would assume that is beyond me given the accounting failures of recent years). This comes - SPOILER ALERT - after Hank has shot his friend, his friend's wife, his brother's friend, and his brother, in a plan, now fully supported by Sarah, to keep the millions they found in the plane secret. She says: "What we've done is horrible, but that doesn't make us evil." Yeah, right. They then rationalize how they were "forced" by external pressures to be horrible.

If you get the audio version, avoid the abridged, and get the Recorded Books unabridged read by Peter Bradbury who does a brilliant narration. Audible used to have it available but now lists only the abridged. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
Wow. Um, talk about an unreliable narrator. This novel sickened me more and more while I was reading it, but it fascinated me, too. I detested the narrator by the time I was a quarter of the way through, but of course I had to keep reading to see what he'd do next. ( )
  stacy_chambers | Aug 22, 2013 |

A few years back I watched the 1998 movie based on this novel, and loved it to pieces: it's the most wonderful noir tragicomedy, eliciting bleak laughter at the same time as a profound sorrow at the way potential human destiny and dreams are forever thwarted by human stupidity. So, although I picked up my copy of the novel a while ago, I fought somewhat shy of actually reading it in case I found it a let-down.

Not so: it's wonderful. And here, too, we have one of those very rare instances where, even though the movie is (according to my memory) very faithful to the book, the two also complement each other. Part of this may be the movie's casting of Bill Paxton in the central role of Hank, the upright and uptight accountant who with ne'er-do-well brother Jacob and Jacob's even ne'er-do-weller pal Lou comes across, in the midst of an Ohio snowfield, a crashed light plane containing a dead pilot and four million bucks. The three reckon the money must be illicit or there'd have been a hue and cry about the lost pilot; so Hank and his wife Sarah decide the best course is to sit on the money for a few years before leaving the area and living the life of Riley somewhere safely afar. Unfortunately, this simple plan starts unraveling pretty soon because, essentially, Jake and Lou are too stupid to follow through on it.

Not that Hank's any genius; indeed, when blood starts to be shed, Hank proves to be the most ruthless member of the little gang, a trait that brings problems and complications of its own.

A Simple Plan is something of a white-knuckle read, which may tend to obscure the fact that it's also quite beautifully written. And, once you've read it, get hold of the DVD -- or vice versa.
  JohnGrant1 | Aug 11, 2013 |
No man chooses evil because it is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks.
- - MARY WOLLSTONECRAFT
For my parents, with special thanks to Alice Quinn, Gail Hochman, Victoria Wilson, and Elizabeth Hill
My parents died in an automobile accident the year after I was married.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307278271, Mass Market Paperback)

It All Seemed So Simple...

Two brothers and their friend stumble upon the wreckage of a plane—the pilot is dead and his duffle bag contains four million dollars in cash. The men agree to hide, keep and share the fortune. But what started off as a simple plan slowly devolves into a gruesome nightmare none of them can control.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:51 -0400)

Two brothers and their friend stumble upon the wreakage of a plane--the pilot is dead and his duffle bag contains four million dollars in cash.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,242,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible