A Simple Plan by Scott Smith

A Simple Plan (edition 1993)

by Scott Smith

Member:sturlington
Title:A Simple Plan
Authors:Scott Smith
Info:New York : Knopf : Distributed by Random House, 1993.
Collections:Read but unowned, Favorites, Kindle
Tags:FIC, Thrillers, 1990s, US, OH

A Simple Plan by Scott Smith

No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both are books in which found money leads to unexpected, horrific consequences.
    Magic by William Goldman (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    Angels of Light by Jeff Long (VictoriaPL)

English (39)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All (42)
While hunting a fox who caused their truck to swerve and crash, three men make an astonishing find in the wintry Minnesota woods. Jacob, his buddy Lou and Jacob's younger brother Hank discover a crashed airplane covered in snow. Inside are the dead pilot and duffel filled with four million dollars in cash. Hank wants to alert the authorities, the others want to keep it. Hank yields on one condition: that he keep the money until the plane is discovered in the spring thaw. If no one comes after the money, the three will divide the cash.

Despite swearing the others to secrecy, Hank tells his pretty wife Sarah. She says they shouldn't take all the money so Hank agrees with her and returns some of the money to the plane to avert any suspicion. On lookout duty, Jacob panics and nearly fatally hits a farmer named Dwight who's hunting a fox. Hank prepares to dispose of the body but Dwight regains consciousness. Hank smothers Dwight with his own scarf and stages the death as a snowmobile accident despite. This is believable.

Unemployed Lou threatens to tell the sheriff the truth about Hank killing Dwight unless he gets his share of the money now. Sarah tells Hank to frame Lou for Dwight's death. Jacob reluctantly agrees to double-cross his friend and gets Lou to fake a confession to Dwight's murder. Hank reveals he secretly recorded Lou's confession. Lou threatens to kill Hank, so Jacob shoots Lou dead. Hank kills Lou's wife Nancy makes it look like Lou did it.
Yes it goes on like this; one tragic decision after another. Will anyone get the 4 million and will it be worth it? ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
Tale of men who find a lot of stolen money and try to figure out how to keep it is very well done, although it has an inevitability about it that casts a bit of a pall. ( )
  datrappert | Oct 24, 2016 |
Imagine a life spiraling down to it darkest depths. Imagine now that it gets worse. That is this book. ( )
  jbwlibre | Aug 11, 2016 |
I've listened to this on audio and seen the movie - the movie stands out in my mind because Billie Bob Thornton was in it, and I remember it being a good movie that really held my attention, but I didn't remember the listen until I saw it on my daughter's shelf - she said we listened to it as a family on a car trip.
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |
WOW ... murder, greed, plotting. The movie (which was terrific) has a somewhat different ending. I'm torn as to whether the movie or the book is better. But the book is fantastic. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jan 27, 2016 |

Scott Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Biondi, MarioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saarinen, OsmoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No man chooses evil because it is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks.
- - MARY WOLLSTONECRAFT
For my parents, with special thanks to Alice Quinn, Gail Hochman, Victoria Wilson, and Elizabeth Hill
My parents died in an automobile accident the year after I was married.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307278271, Mass Market Paperback)

It All Seemed So Simple...

Two brothers and their friend stumble upon the wreckage of a plane—the pilot is dead and his duffle bag contains four million dollars in cash. The men agree to hide, keep and share the fortune. But what started off as a simple plan slowly devolves into a gruesome nightmare none of them can control.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:47 -0400)

Two brothers and their friend stumble upon the wreakage of a plane--the pilot is dead and his duffle bag contains four million dollars in cash.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,667,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible