Rush Home Road: A Novel by Lori Lansens

Rush Home Road: A Novel (edition 2008)

by Lori Lansens

Member:SugarCreekRanch
Title:Rush Home Road: A Novel
Authors:Lori Lansens
Info:Back Bay Books (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Rush Home Road by Lori Lansens

Recently added byainjel, rena75, MelonieMurray, JayeJ, mharris1227, private library, Vintageblossom, destareads

English (28)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (31)
What a surprising read and that is the reason why I like non genre books. Theey take you if they re good, on a journey where you forget the world you are living in.

That happened to me every evening. It was a joy to open my kindle every night to go back to Addy. Not that her world is any better than mine. It is so very different though.It is just such a great story.

The author managed to move me, to love and hate her characters. To me that is a great author.

Funny cause I did read The Girls and I gave that book 3 stars but this book grabbed me much more.
4.5 ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
I thought it was wordy in places and felt as though it didn't need to be so long. I also issue with all the ghosts. Maybe it could've been told a little different but yea, the ghost thing doesn't always work for me.

With that said, this was a great book. I've never read a historical fiction that had so many twists in it. The characters were well developed and I believe I liked and didn't like them accordingly.

Definite recommend. ( )
  Sharn | Sep 22, 2015 |
I just couldn't decide if I should give this book four stars or three. I decided to give it four starts because I think maybe I just wasn't focused enough to appreciate it. But then I decided to give it three because I'm not postive I would recommend it to people. It was not as good as The Girls, the other book I just read by this author.

This book was about a young girl, Sharla, being raised by her elderly neighbor, Addy, after her mother deserts her. It alternated between the present and the story of Addy's life. I love books that altenate between stories like this, but I found that these stories alternated a little too quickly for me. I was just starting to get into one story when the author switched to the other.

The book was well written, and the characters were very likable, but for some reason I just never got completely into it. I seemed to be very tired every time I read it and kept falling asleep, so that could have had something to do with it.

Anyway, I can't really decide if I'd recommend it or not. Maybe someone else should read it and let me know if I should recommend it. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
I have a new author on my favourites list and this book was AMAZING! In my little world three stars out of five means it was a pretty good read … this book I would give six!

The book is set in the Detroit-Windsor-Chatham corrider of Southern Ontario (as are most of Ms. Lansens books) and tells the story of Sharla Cody and Mum-Addy. Sharla is a five year old who has had a tough go of it already and Addy is a 70 year old who had a tough go of it all her life. Addy agrees to look after Sharla for the summer so her real mother can “get her life together” … which in reality meant “take off in the middle of the night with her boyfriend". Having a young child in the house brings back memories of her own upbringing and causes Addy to go down memory lane a little more frequently than usual. Moving seamlessley from the present to the past, Addy’s story is the book.

Ms. Lansens manages to incorporate a lot of Canadiana into the book, from Canada’a role in the anti-slavery movement, the underground railway and prohibition, but does so in a way that weaves well into the story. She also looks at the seedier side of children’s lives when they do not have strong and loving parental figures. Although uplifting in the case of little Sharla, it makes me wish every needy child had an “Addy” in their lives.

Addy is a character I quickly came to love, and that feeling kept me turning the pages to find out more about her remarkable life. A must read for anyone who likes a good story with (spoiler alert) a little bit of a tear-jerker ending.
1 vote ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
I liked this book alot. You really experience time and place. Characters were interesting and well developed.
Highly reccomended. ( )
  janismack | Mar 30, 2014 |

Lori Lansensprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eikli, RagnhildTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pänke, HeddaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Milan
It stinks of piss in the room.

When 5-year old Sharla Cody is dumped on the doorstep of Addy Shadd, a 70-year old woman living in a trailer park, Addy does not know how completely her life is about to change. She's hardly used to company and the troubled Sharla is not the sweet, beautiful angel she had envisioned. Over time, Addy and Sharla form a bond that neither of them expected-and Sharla begins to undergo a transformation under Addy's patient and loving care. But much to Addy's surprise and dismay, Sharla's presence brings back memories of her own tumultuous childhood. As she reminisces about her days growing up in Rusholme, a town settled by fugitive slaves in the mid 1800s, she remembers her family and her first love and confronts the painful experience that drove her away from home, never to return.
Brilliantly structured and achingly lyrical, this beautiful first novel by the award-winning author of The Girls tells the story of two unlikely people thrown together who transform each other's lives forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:37 -0400)

A poignant novel about the power of love and forgiveness.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,598,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible