The Citadel by A. J. Cronin

The Citadel (1937)

by A. J. Cronin

8201515,965 (3.91)19
    Adventures in Two Worlds by A. J. Cronin (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Cronin's autobiography is the natural companion volume to a novel in which he drew heavily on his own experience as a physician. Some episodes were transferred almost verbatim; others were transformed completely.
    Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (ainsleytewce)

English (13)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (15)
Decades ago I read "The Keys to the Kingdom", and knew of this book, but only read it in 2018. I found the class system dreary, and the attitude of the principal doctor toward his wife to be demeaning, and only rarely did Cronin recognize his character's blind spot in this area. Watching the downfall of a character is never fun, but I felt no sense of hopefulness that he would climb out of his hole. The magazine format, with its color illustrations and synopsis kept me going. ( )
  Lace-Structures | Aug 31, 2018 |
Unbearable in this audio recording. The echoing sound quality and the fifties style received pronunciation are too much. I gave up after about thirty seconds. I still want to read the book. 3 November 2016. ( )
  alanca | Nov 9, 2016 |
I read this book ages ago and loved it! I just read a mention of something being like an AJ Cronin novel in the current boo I'm reading... ( )
  Cricket856 | Jan 25, 2016 |
A good, old-fashioned novel (in the best sense): a story of engaging people doing interesting things, well-told.

The theme is the public health in the UK before the 1948 Act which introduced the National Health service. Incompetence and corruption amongst the medical class are exposed; our hero, Manson, works doggedly towards his own solutions, soon to be sanctioned in law (after the end of the narrative).

On the human side, we join Manson as a new graduate serving in the Welsh valleys, and follow this pilgrim's progress through triumph and disaster until, in the end, we leave him on the brink of fulfilling his dream: a group medical practice founded with the patients' interests at heart.

Interesting, from an historical perspective; important politically; refreshing artistically. ( )
1 vote jtck121166 | Oct 24, 2013 |
I started reading this book on Feb 27, 1945. On that day I said: "Am reading A. J. Cronin's The Citadel. It Is about a doctor in Wales. Very good. Better than his The Keys of the Kingdom: faster moving and more compact. Although one can sure tell the similarity . Cronin is an expert at frustrated character delineation. On March 2, 1945, I said: "It is 12:30 A.M. I sat up till now to finish The Citadel. It was very good. Such a book is rare. It simply carries one along I doubt if Cronin's ever done anything better. ( )
  Schmerguls | Nov 18, 2012 |
To My Wife
Late one October afternoon in the year 1921, a shabby young man gazed with fixed intensity through the window of a third-class compartment in the almost empty train labouring up the Penowell valley from Swansea.
E' solo quando le cose che vogliamo ottenere richiedono da parte nostra un grave sforzo che diventano preziose. Quando ti cadono in grembo non danno soddisfazione.

This thrilling novel of a doctor's life has been the subject of a Mobil Masterpiece Theatre dramatic series on PBS. "Cronin's distinguished achievement. . . . No one could have written as fine, honest, and moving a study of a young doctor as "The Citadel" without possessing great literary taste and skill".--"The Atlantic Monthly".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:13 -0400)

A sincere, conscientious young doctor faces the realization that he can achieve great material success only at the cost of his self-image.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,001,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible