Winterkill by Kate A. Boorman

by Kate A. Boorman

Member:konallis
Title:Winterkill
Authors:Kate A. Boorman
Info:London : Faber & Faber, 2015.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:children's/young adult, read 2018

Winterkill by Kate A. Boorman

I received this as a review copy. When I first started this book, I wasn't sure I would finish it. As I got into the story it became better and seemed to flow. The village is an isolated village with no neighbors. It is cut off from everything and everyone. The village itself is divided into sections and the sections tend to stick together. Along comes Emmeline, a rebel or just a girl with an inquiring mind who doesn't like to follow the rules. Follow her adventures outside the walls of the village. It is an interesting story with a mix of French and English that adds to the mysticism of the time and village. ( )
  Pat2011 | Jul 25, 2016 |
Review
Winterkill has a very The Village type of feel to it. This kept me turning the pages.

Emmeline is a character that doesn't conform to the same rules in her village. She doesn't take everything at face value, and wants to know what's in the woods. I also liked the fact that she finds a few comrades in those that she lives with. People don't always understand her, but they are willing to keep a few secrets.

There is of course romance in this book. It plays a big part in who Emmeline can trust. Not everyone has her best intentions at heart. I was worried that the romance would detract from the story, but it only fueled it. There are strange things that happen in the woods. There are also many secrets out there. Emmeline just wants to know what is going on, and why she has to walk around in shame for something she didn't do.

Winterkill will have you trying to figure out what is actually going on, and who you can trust. It's a great mystery with characters that grow throughout the book. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
I was fascinated by the village they lived in, I wanted to learn more what was happing with the council members. Emmeline was a very likeable character, her waywardness was a nice way of saying she didn't follow orders very well. Kate Boorman, Great job! I had a hard time putting this book down. Yes I did order the sequel. Darkthaw, 5 of 5 stars for Winterkill. ( )
  stevealtier | Feb 9, 2016 |
I find this novel a little difficult to rate because, for me, it just contained too many "buts".

The setting is enchanting and made me curious to learn more about how the settlement came to be but the novel doesn't really offer any answers. I wasn't even sure what time period the novel was set in. The settlement itself seemed rustic but there are hints that higher technology exists in the outside world.

The plot builds an intriguing mystery that did keep me turning the pages, however this mystery is very slow burning and padded out with chapters where very little happens. As people have also commented many times, it also takes a lot from The Village. If you've seen this film, the twists of the novel won't come as much of a surprise to you. I also wasn't convinced that there was really a need to have so much French dialogue in the story. As Emmeline has grown up in a dual-linguistic environment, surely she'd be fluent in both languages?

The characters are varied. Emmeline gets a lot of development in the novel and was therefore the only character that I really cared about. She starts off the novel feeling ostracised because of her injury and the inherited shame of her wayward grandmother, however gradually comes to see over the course of the story that she is her own greatest critic. But the relationship between her and Kane always seemed forced to me. She falls in love for him at first sight without even knowing his name. Kane was also such a blank slate that there actually felt to be more tension between her and Brother Stockham (who's actions seemed to make less and less sense to me as the story progressed).

All in all, I didn't hate this book but there wasn't anything really exceptional about it either. I'd probably give it about 2.5 out of 5 if LibraryThing allowed for half-stars. I do have the second one on my to read pile so perhaps I'll have a look at it in a few months time to see if the series improves. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Nov 28, 2015 |
I was pleasantly surprised to find out the the author lives in Edmonton as I do, so it was great to read a local author. This book was also a 2015 ARCA Finalist. I really enjoyed the story and found Emmeline, the main character, very likeable. Boorman's second book is scheduled for release October 16 and I look forward to meeting her at a local book-signing release event. ( )
  TracyCampbell | Oct 11, 2015 |

Emmeline knows she’s not supposed to explore the woods outside her settlement. The enemy that wiped out half her people lurks there, attacking at night and keeping them isolated in an unfamiliar land with merciless winters. Living with the shame of her grandmother’s insubordination, Emmeline has learned to keep her head down and her quick tongue silent.
When the settlement leader asks for her hand in marriage, it’s an opportunity for Emmeline to wash the family slate clean—even if she has eyes for another. But before she’s forced into an impossible decision, her dreams urge her into the woods, where she uncovers a path she can’t help but follow. The trail leads to a secret that someone in the village will kill to protect. Her grandmother followed the same path and paid the price. If Emmeline isn’t careful, she will be next.

When the revered leader of her settlement, a dark, isolated land with merciless winters and puritanical rulers, asks Emmeline for her hand it is a rare opportunity, but not only does she love another man, she cannot ignore dreams that urge her into the dangerous and forbidden woods that took her grandmother's life and her family's reputation.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,024,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible