Goddess Born by Kari Edgren

Goddess Born (edition 2014)

by Kari Edgren

Series: Goddess Born

Member:celticlady53
Title:Goddess Born
Authors:Kari Edgren
Info:Carina Press (2014), Kindle Edition, 261 pages

Goddess Born by Kari Edgren

Goddess Born is one of those novels that is quite easy to read and hard to put down. When I read the blurb on the book and it said Celtic Mythology, I was right there, as I enjoy reading about anything Celtic. It's true, I am a fanatic. Selah has a predicament that she needs to take care of right now. With a tragedy in her family, she will be forced to marry Nathan Crowly, who is a despicable individual for sure. Selah has a gift of being able to heal people and she needs to keep that secret. In 1700's, The Quaker community of Hopewell are a suspicious lot, so if word got out about her abilities she could be declared a witch and punished as such. We all know how that worked out for people in Salem. Selah flees to Boston to meet her cousin who she will be marrying, There is a tradition in the family to marry cousins so with the hopes that when she goes back home she can evade Nathan and continue to do what she is meant to do be a healer. Things of course don't go as planned and...well the story continues from there...not going to tell you anymore, you will just have to go and get a copy.

I thought the book was well written and of course a story with a bit of humor and mystery is the best kind. There will be another book to the series and I look forward to reading that one also. Great story! ( )
  celticlady53 | Oct 16, 2014 |
This book has one of the most unique premises I've read in a while: set in 1730 in the Pennsylvania colony, our heroine Selah Kilbrid is literally a direct descendent of the goddess Brigid. Her divine gift is that of healing, a gift she cannot refuse to use when asked -- but a gift she has to keep hidden lest she gain some unwanted attention. From an Irish Catholic family, she lives in the heavily Quaker town of Hopewell, a well-liked healer and farmer's daughter.

Pursued by a Quaker preacher, Nathan, whose interest in her crosses into dangerous obsession, Selah agrees to an arranged marriage with a cousin per her father's wishes. But upon arriving in Philadelphia, she instead finds herself bound together with the (stunningly sexy) Henry Alan, an indentured servant.

I admit I have a love/hate relationship with romance novels: I adore me some hot and heavy flirtation but really loathe some of the childish, alarming, or emotionally unstable behavior that gets trotted out in the name of plot. But Edgren's historical romance has everything I luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurve in a romance novel: fabulously fun heroine and hero, great setting, delightful obstacles that don't make me mentally scream, "Just tell him!", and a believable chemistry that had me swooning within a dozen pages.

Selah was a believable heroine that I loved from the first page: bold in ways that felt authentic and historically accurate (even as a demi-goddess!), who acted in a manner that read reasonable and believable -- even when she made dumb choices. As Edgren stays solely in Selah's first person POV, we don't know much about Henry and his motivations, but he's a dreamboat with a dramatic backstory. The complications between Selah and Henry are interesting and actually challenging: how does she handle her goddess-ness with him, and how much can she trust a man who is literally indebted to her but legally has rights to her inheritance?

And as for the sex...there is none! Don't despair, as I might have if I learned this tidbit ahead of reading, as there's plenty of tension and some making out that's fun. The absence of sex only stood out to me as this is from Carina/Harlequin, so I just assumed there'd be sexytimes, but in terms of storytelling and plot, how everything shakes out for our hero and heroine reads perfectly. I didn't miss the sex, and I still had happy sighs throughout the book.

This is clearly the first in a series, and I am frothing with impatience for the next book. (The danger of inhaling new releases, am I right?!) I read this book in a day -- started it in the AM and just kept sneaking glances throughout the day, pausing only when necessary -- and it's a great escapist read for those who enjoy some armchair time travel and competent heroines. The Pre-Revolutionary War Philadelphia and Pennsylvania setting is wonderful, as is Edgren's Quaker community -- a locale I rarely come across in historical fiction.

If you like historical romances, get this for sure. If you like some paranormal or supernatural elements in your fiction, but aren't into urban fantasy, also consider this one -- it has some magical themes that blended seamlessly into the story and never jarred me out of the rest of the narrative. ( )
  unabridgedchick | Oct 10, 2014 |
Selah Kilbrid is Goddess Born, half human and half divine descending directly from the Goddess Brigid. She is blessed with the gift to heal others, but with that gift comes the obligation to keep it a secret. Selah's grandparents were removed from their homeland and came to Pennsylvania to settle. Now Selah and her father live among the Quakers in 1730. One of the Quaker ministers, Nathan, has been hounding Selah for her hand in marriage and has turned to threatening her, but because of her gift, Selah must marry within the other descendants of Brigid. Upon his deathbed, Selah's father tells her to marry her cousin as soon as possible. Selah sets off to complete her father's wishes, but runs into trouble when she finds out that her cousin has passed on the ocean crossing. Not wanting to return home unmarried for fear of Nathan, Selah sees a handsome indentured servant for sale and convinces him to pose as her husband in return for time off his sentence. The servant, Henry, agrees, but he is hiding a secret himself.

This was the perfect blend of history, paranormal and romance. Selah's character was strong and feisty. The idea of Goddess Born was also unique, I liked that Selah was very careful with her gift of healing. She had to know to heal just enough to save a life, but leave enough to be healed with traditional means so that it did not appear to be out of the ordinary. Her gift also made her story very dangerous and suspenseful when the notion of witchcraft came into play. Henry was the perfect handsome, strong, mysterious hero; I could see where their relationship was going to go pretty early on, however it turned out to be very sweet and I couldn't guess what Henry’s secret was until the end. Another part I enjoyed was the setting; it was differed to learn about a Quaker settlement, their views, meetings and daily lives. Now, I can’t wait to see what will happen in the next two books.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review. ( )
  Mishker | Oct 1, 2014 |
This book has a bit of everything! Truly something for everyone. There is romance, history, suspense, and a bit of supernatural power. Witch hunts and sword fights. I told you, something for everyone.

I really enjoyed this book. I was drawn in from page one. The main character, Selah Kilbrid is a different kind of girl. She is 'goddess born'. A descendant of an Irish goddess. She must keep this a secret from others who fear anyone different than themselves. She resides in a Quaker community in Pennsylvania.

Selah is a strong willed young woman, you will instantly love her, whether you agree with her or not. Kari Edgren has created a wonderful character in Selah.

Henry Alan, a young indentured servant who becomes Selah's make believe husband is a powerful character in his own right. From the very beginning, the reader knows there is more than meets the eye with Henry. I won't give anything away, but his story will just fascinate you. He is a fabulous character and you can feel him falling in love with Selah throughout the book.

I think any lover of historical fiction will fall in love with this book. I look forward to more by this author.

I give this book 5 stars because it contains everything I look for in a book. ( )
  ljldml | Sep 28, 2014 |
4 STARS

Goddess Born is full of drama, good characters, action with a touch of the paranormal or fantasy. The plot keeps your attention and leaves you wanting to see more of the characters in the future. It also deals with history of Pennsylvania in the 1730. It is also a clean read.

Selah Kilbrid is the main character. She is a young woman who is beautiful, she has a secret that she can't tell. She does not want to marry a Quaker minister that is black mailing her.

Henry goes by different names at time. He is sold to Selah by his ship captain for seven years. Their is another who wanted to buy him and was unhappy that Selah bought him.

Selah's fiancé died crossing the ocean. If she returns without a husband she will be forced to marry the minister or he will accuse her of witch craft. She makes a bargain with Henry if he will pretend to be her cousin and marry her in name only she will let him go in one or two years.

Their are two groups who we know want to harm them but their is more working against them in secret. Selah also has many friends who are on her side though too.

The paranormal part of the story is Selah Kilbrid is a descendent of the Celtic goddess Brigid. She has the gift of healing.

We see a little bit of what the Quaker lives were like in 1730. I did not know anything about Brigid. So that was nice to learn about too.

It was easy to read and follow at a good pace. I want to read more from Kari Edgren in the future too.

I was given this ebook to read and in return I agreed to give honest review of a Goddess Born. ( )
  rhonda1111 | Jun 2, 2014 |
"....The air crackled with excitement. Here and there, I picked up snippets of conversation. Mostly it was just more of the same—speculation about who the witch could be. On my left, when we passed by a small cluster of men, I heard something entirely different. Rather than tossing out names, they speculated on what would happen to the woman. One man thought it would only take the dunking chair to find out the truth. Other men openly argued the possibility of a hanging tonight..... "

Pennsylvania, 1730

Selah Kilbrid keeps a dangerous secret: she has the power to heal.

But when news of Samuel's death reaches the Colonies, Selah is truly on her own. Terrified, she faces an impossible choice--forfeit her powers and marry the loathsome Nathan? Or find an imposter to pose as her husband and preserve her birthright?

Pennsylvania, 1730Selah Kilbrid keeps a dangerous secret: she has the power to heal.A direct descendent of the Celtic goddess Brigid, it's Selah's sacred duty to help those in need. But as the last of the Goddess Born living in the New World, she learned from an early age to keep her supernatural abilities hidden. The Quaker community of Hopewell has always been welcoming, but there's no doubt they would see her hanged if her gift was revealed.When a prominent minister threatens to try her with witchcraft unless she becomes his wife, Selah has only one hope--that her betrothed, a distant cousin from Ireland, arrives as planned. Marrying Samuel would keep her secret safe, preserve her sacred bloodline, and protect her from being charged as a witch.But when news of Samuel's death reaches the Colonies, Selah is truly on her own. Terrified, she faces an impossible choice--forfeit her powers and marry the loathsome Nathan? Or find an imposter...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,894,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible