The Silent Sister by Diane Chamberlain

The Silent Sister (edition 2014)

by Diane Chamberlain

Member:bgherman
Title:The Silent Sister
Authors:Diane Chamberlain
Info:St. Martin's Press (2014), Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Silent Sister by Diane Chamberlain

Recently added byksueh, rena75, teymaneeya, BookHavenAZ

English (65)  German (1)  All languages (66)
This book was AMAZING!! I cannot remember the last time I read a book in one day! I absolutely couldn't put it down!! It has so many twists and turns and just when you think you've figured it out, the plot changes! In my humble opinion, this book was so much better than anything I've read in a long time, even much more so than that certain book-made-into-a-movie that everyone, but me, seemed to love. I'm rushing to Amazon to find more books by Diane Chamberlain right now!! ( )
  Squirrel820 | Nov 21, 2018 |
Riley MacPherson believes that her older sister, Lisa, committed suicide when she was a teenager. When her father dies, Riley is in charge of taking care of his home and its contents. As she begins to go through his belongings, she finds evidence indicating the possibility that Lisa is still alive and that her death was a ruse. Riley must decide what to do with this information which could change many lives.

Even though the story was somewhat predictable it was engaging enough to hold my interest. ( )
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
Engrossing story, well paced and just enough hints to keep the reader turning the page to find out the "truth" about Riley's long dead sister: "Riley MacPherson has spent her entire life believing that her older sister Lisa committed suicide as a teenager. It was a belief that helped shape her own childhood & that of her brother...Now, more than twenty years later, her father passed away and she's in New Bern, North Carolina, cleaning out his house when she finds evidence that what she has always believed is not the truth. Lisa is alive...living under a new identity...why was she on the run all those years ago? What secrets are being kept now, and what will happen if those secrets are revealed?" -book jacket inside flap. I found the slow reveal to be interesting enough, the characterizations believable, & the tension between Riley's present day understanding/her longing for a full family life, and the secrets of the MacPherson family's past to be just mysterious enough. In the last section, the mystery of Riley's real father was apparent (to me anyway) long before the ending chapters, but still - an emotionally satisfying read without graphic violence or morbid details. ( )
  BDartnall | Oct 23, 2018 |
Good book, lots of twists and turns ( )
  ArianaA | Sep 7, 2018 |
Great story line! You completely understand the fathers side of why he did what he did but you also are angry like the brother. A few things that I did not see coming at all. Will look to read more by this author. ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |
Prologue: January 1990 All day long, people stopped along the path that ran through the woods by the Potomic River.
Part One: I never expected to lose nearly everyone I loved by the time I was twenty-five.

"Riley MacPherson has spent her entire life believing that her older sister Lisa committed suicide as a teenager. Now, over twenty years later, her father has passed away and she's in New Bern, North Carolina cleaning out his house when she finds evidence to the contrary. Lisa is alive. Alive and living under a new identity. But why exactly was she on the run all those years ago, and what secrets are being kept now? As Riley works to uncover the truth, her discoveries will put into question everything she thought she knew about her family. Riley must decide what the past means for her present, and what she will do with her newfound reality"--… (more)

Diane Chamberlain is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,198,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible