The Greatest Benefit to Mankind: A Medical…

The Greatest Benefit to Mankind: A Medical History of Humanity (original 1998; edition 1999)

by Roy Porter

Member:nickpelling
Title:The Greatest Benefit to Mankind: A Medical History of Humanity
Authors:Roy Porter
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (1999), Edition: 1, Paperback, 831 pages

The Greatest Benefit to Mankind: A Medical History of Humanity from Antiquity to the Present by Roy Porter (1998)

The Greatest Benefit of Mankind
Roy Porter
Sunday, August 12, 2012 11:38 AM

This is a massive survey of medicine in history. It is not only about physicians, but about the relations of humans to sickness and healing. Roy Porter is also opinionated, and unafraid to state his opinions, generally skeptical of claims of modern medicine, and supportive of the wisdom of the people with regards to their health. He points out, as is well known, that up to about 1935, when sulfa drugs became available, that doctors were powerless against common infections. He warns against the hubris of public health officials in the face of epidemic viruses from Africa. His discussion of physician-patient interactions, and the National Health Service in Britain, did set me thinking about my interactions with patients ( )
  neurodrew | Aug 12, 2012 |
A wonderfully written single volume of the history of medicine. The only drawback is the lack of footnotes for each chapter. ( )
  oldbookman | Dec 9, 2007 |
A gift from my Dad who got it from The Softback Preview for about 99p. It's a wonderful history of medicine, though some of the opinions on modern medicine are a bit odd. ( )
  woollymammoth | Nov 22, 2006 |
Fascinating - though perhaps lacking in depth, it can be forgiven that, as the range covered is huge. A book for the interested amateur rather than the serious scholar - however, as a jumping off place, it's well worth having. We've tended to read it in bits, fits and starts....
  tole_lege | Dec 23, 2005 |
The late Roy Porter wrote an entertaining book about disease and how society lived, died and tried to understand the complexities of the human body. ( )
  Aetatis | Nov 2, 2005 |
Sick -- Sick -- Sick ... O Sick -- Sick -- Spew

David Garrick, in a letter
I'm sick of gruel, and the dietetics,
I'm sick of pills, and sicker of emetics,
I'm sick of pulses, tardiness or quickness,
I'm sick of blood, its thinness or its thickness --
In short, within a word, I'm sick of sickness!

Thomas Hood, 'Fragment', c. 1844
They are shallow animals, having always employed their minds about Body and Gut, they imagine that in the whole system of things there is nothing but Gut and Body.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge, on dcotors (1796)
To Mikuláŝ Teich, true friend and scholar
These are strange times, when we are healthier than ever but more anxious about our health.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0393319806, Paperback)

Samuel Johnson once called the medical profession "the greatest benefit to mankind." In the 20th century, the quality of that benefit has improved more and more rapidly than at any other comparable time in history. With all the capabilities of modern medicine's practicioners, however, we as a people are as worried about our health as ever.

Roy Porter, a social historian of medicine the London's Wellcome Institute, has written an dauntingly thick history of how medical thinking and practice has risen to the challenges of disease through the centuries. But delve into its pages, and you'll find one marvelous bit of history after another. The obvious highlights are touched upon--Hippocrates introduces his oath, Pasteur homogenizes, Jonas Salk produces the polio vaccine, and so on--but there's also Dr. Francis Willis's curing of The Madness of King George, W. T. G. Morton's hucksterish use of ether in surgery, and research on digestion conducted using a man with a stomach fistula (if you don't know what that means, you may not want to know). Porter is straightforward about his deliberate focus on Western medical traditions, citing their predominant influence on global medicine, and with The Greatest Benefit to Mankind, he has produced a volume worthy of that tradition's legacy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:15 -0400)

"Roy Porter explores medicine's evolution against the backdrop of the wider religious, scientific, philosophical, and political beliefs of the culture in which it develops, and he shows how our need to understand where diseases come from and what we can do to control them has - perhaps above all elseinspired developments in medicine through the ages. He charts the remarkable rise of modern medical science - the emergence of specialties such as anatomy, physiology, neurology, and bacteriology - as well as the accompanying development of wider medical practice at the bedside, in the hospital, and in the ambitious public health systems of the twentieth century. Along the way the book offers up a treasure trove of historical surprises: how the ancient Egyptians treated incipient baldness with a mixture of hippopotamus, lion, crocodile, goose, snake, and ibex fat; how a mystery epidemic devastated ancient Athens and brought an end to the domination of that great city: how lemons did as much as Nelson to defeat Napoleon: how yellow fever, carried by African mosquitoes to the Americas, led the French to fail utterly in their attempts to recover Haiti after the slave revolt of 1790: and how the explorers of the South Seas brought both syphilis to Tahiti and tuberculosis and measles to the Maoris."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,463,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible