Yacoubians hus by Ala Aswani

Yacoubians hus (original 2002; edition 2007)

by Ala Aswani

Member:katnys
Title:Yacoubians hus
Authors:Ala Aswani
Info:Hr. Ferdinand, 2007
Rating:***

The Yacoubian Building by Alaa Al Aswany (2002)

English (52)  French (7)  Italian (6)  Dutch (3)  Danish (3)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Galician (1)  All languages (80)
ביקורת חריפה ונועזת על המשטר והחברה במצריים של מוב​אראק. אבל כספרות חלש מאוד. מתוך רצון להציג גלריה ש​ל טיפוסים ובעיות יותר מדי גיבורים וסיפורים נפרדים ​שלא באמת מצטרפים לספר ושאף אחד מהם לא באמת נוגע לל​ ( )
  amoskovacs | Aug 24, 2016 |
This book was assigned reading for a class that I assumed I would never read because I was on vacation in Mexico during the time I was supposed to be reading it. However, once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down and even stayed on my beach chair to read it while my friends played in the pool. It's a good introduction to a different culture. ( )
  kathleenbarber | Aug 8, 2016 |
Good, sad depiction of a cross-section of Egyptian society. ( )
  ltfitch1 | Jun 5, 2016 |
what a story! the plot lines of a soap opera, action, sex, violence, good pace, and all brushed with the exotic flavor of the different world of Egyptian life. ( )
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
My book club selected this book. It's an interesting look at modern-day Egyptian culture / society. The confusing case of characters made it difficult for me to read, though. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 16, 2016 |

Alaa Al Aswanyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alibek, PiusTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davies, HumphreyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To My Guardian Angel - Iman Taymur
The distance between Baehler Passage, where Zaki Bey el Dessouki lives, and his office in the Yacoubian Building is not more than a hundred meters, but it takes him an hour to cover it each morning as he is obliged to greet his friends on the street.
Original title: 'Imarat Ya'qubyan

This controversial bestselling novel in the Arab world reveals the political corruption, sexual repression, religious extremism, and modern hopes of Egypt today.

All manner of flawed and fragile humanity reside in the Yacoubian Building, a once-elegant temple of Art Deco splendor now slowly decaying in the smog and bustle of downtown Cairo: a fading aristocrat and self-proclaimed "scientist of women"; a sultry, voluptuous siren; a devout young student, feeling the irresistible pull toward fundamentalism; a newspaper editor helplessly in love with a policeman; a corrupt and corpulent politician, twisting the Koran to justify his desires.

These disparate lives careen toward an explosive conclusion in Alaa Al Aswany's remarkable international bestseller. Teeming with frank sexuality and heartfelt compassion, this book is an important window on to the experience of loss and love in the Arab world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:16 -0400)

The lives and fortunes of the inhabitants of the Yacoubian Building, a once elegant, Art Deco apartment building in the heart of downtown Cairo, intertwine as the destinies of a fading aristocrat, voluptuous siren, devout young doorman, secretly gay newspaper editor, roof- squatting tailor, and corrupt politician come together.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,390,576 books! | Top bar: Always visible