Zero Alternative by Luca Pesaro

Zero Alternative (edition 2014)

by Luca Pesaro

Member:psutto
Title:Zero Alternative
Authors:Luca Pesaro
Info:Three Hares Publishing (2014), Paperback, 386 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:2014 challenge

Zero Alternative by Luca Pesaro

Honestly, when I first started this book, I wasn't into it much at all. I don't know if I would have continued reading if I hadn't committed to a review. The intro material was over my head. But after a short bit into the story, it completely turned around for me. I really started to be drawn to the storyline. The plot sucked me in. It's super fast-paced and very entertaining. I guess it's classification would fall under Techno-thriller. Zero Alternative put me in the mindset of a mix of The Pelican Brief/The Bourne Identity/The Net except more current and with a focus on the stock market.

The settings are all over the world, and not much in the U.S. like so many books.

First off, the author is a genius with economics, finance markets, etc. It's definitely supremely better to have a story written by someone who knows what they're talking about. Nothing ruins a story quicker than an writer that doesn't understand the subject matter they're writing.

The main character is Scott Walker, a brilliant yet still human trader in a greed-only workforce. He possesses sole knowledge causing him to become desirable number one, to be framed for the murder of his best friend and to live on the run from those wanting to control the world economy which translates to ruling the world. He has to plan on the go.
A little trap that might also give him an alternative, the zero one.

Scott has a couple of close friends he can call in his time of need and several iffy characters popping up along the way. You never quite know if some of them are good or not through most of the book.
'You look like an angel. A fallen one, maybe, but still an angel.'

With so much landing on him, so much at stake, he feels that maybe he can make up for his previous inactiveness and get justice for the ones already taken down for a chance at possession of what he has.

It was impossible to tell if things might have turned out different, though. You can't change your own history. But he guessed the future was still up for grabs.

Watching it all play out, sometimes solving the problem just seems like a lost cause.

'You can tell them I've run it a billion times, of course. It's like watching a computer play chess against weaker copies of itself. The strongest one always wins.'

Sometimes the answer is just to reach rock bottom and go from there.

It was time for everyone to try again.

Once I got into this book, I was so keyed up that I couldn't put it down. I read it straight through, all day. I lapped up every word, and now I'm recommending it to you. If you like lots of action, behind the scenes government, global economic issues, this is for you.

*Contains sex scenes and torture scenes (sparingly).

***ARC was given by author for an honest review***

toni

FangirlMoments and My Two Cents

FULL REVIEW CAN BE FOUND AT http://fangirlmomentsandmytwocents.blogspot.com/2014/05/zero-alternative-by-luca... ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |

A little trap that might also give him an alternative, the zero one.

'You look like an angel. A fallen one, maybe, but still an angel.'

Sometimes the answer is just to reach rock bottom and go from there.

It was time for everyone to try again.

*Contains sex scenes and torture scenes (sparingly).

***ARC was given by author for an honest review***

toni

FangirlMoments and My Two Cents

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
What would happen if someone had a tool – software – that would allow them to predict the market? Would someone kill to get their hands on that tool? Oh yeah; you betcha! It’s called DeepShare. Scott Walker, once marvelously successful on Wall Street’s trading floor, is fighting to stay alive because of DeepShare. The creator of the software and Scott’s best friend has been killed. Scott takes international flight; so do ‘they’. How can they continue to track him as careful as he’s been? It is also a story of trust, as in who can I …? Scott meets Layla fairly early in the story, but can he trust her or not?

This novel describes the human nature very well – the greed that becomes us as we get and want more and more money. Zero Alternative is a thriller with futuristic overtones. It does have considerable sex and violence within. Zero Alternative does provide quite a bit of detail of the trading market. I think many people just trying to read for pleasure may struggle through the beginning as it is quite extensive in the market and its industry. Once you get past that, the novel becomes very fast-paced. This is Luca Pesaro’s debut novel but certainly not his last. I rated it 3 out of 5.

Review as posted on FictionZeal.com ( )
  FictionZeal | Aug 31, 2014 |
Good

Scott Walker is a city trader nicknamed “Yours” (which to be honest is a bit confusing in the first half of the book) who is working with a friendly mathematician and programmer to create a set of algorithms called Deepshare. Deepshare is an Oracle of formidable power and is coveted by a rival bank for the fact it can unerringly read the market. Walker is thrust into a world of espionage, conspiracy and betrayal with a cast of billionaires, hitmen and hackers.

This is a punchy thriller that just fizzes with energy and bowls you along. It’s an interesting premise and one that should now be familiar to all of us, The murky world of international trading, secret cabals of billionaires etc & pondering the question - when are banks too big to fail?. But in Pesaro’s hands this feels fresh and exciting and very relevant. Some of the trading went over my head (or I wasn’t paying enough information perhaps) and when Pesaro takes his foot off the accelerator and we pause from breakneck action and go to character development it is hard to feel any sympathy with the main character, who is pretty superficial, or in fact most of the characters if truth be known. Although the characters were mostly well drawn though there’s not exactly a lot of women characters (and they may all be beautiful and attracted to our MC too). There’s some really nice set pieces and I really liked the part set in a crumbling mansion which felt very “Uncharted.”

Overall – Enjoyable thriller ( )
  psutto | May 30, 2014 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,283,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible