Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The History of the Peloponnesian War by…

The History of the Peloponnesian War

by Thucydides

5,871411,073 (3.99)2 / 113
    The Histories by Herodotus (Voracious_Reader)
    The Histories by Polybius (timspalding)
    timspalding: Thucydides, Herodotus, Polybius—the rest is secondary.
    Thucydides by Walter Robert Connor (wildbill)

English (36)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  All languages (41)
Reread the complete version of this for the first time since reading the excerpted "On Justice, Power, and Human Nature" as an undergrad. Really shines in the imagined monologues negotiating terms, truces, and pleas. The military logistics fade in interest because this unwinnable war amounted to the Athenian Vietnam. ( )
  albertgoldfain | Jan 11, 2019 |
A thorough account of the intrigues during a large portion of the Peloponnesian war. The descriptions are basic and the prose is simple, but this only aids the reader as they work along the bulk of this document.

Note: The manuscript is incomplete.

Recommended for history buffs. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Dec 17, 2018 |
Thucydides certainly made this a slog to get through, but I still give it four stars because the detail and description that makes it so hard to get through also makes it one of the clearest pictures of Ancient Greek war and life. If you're under house arrest/stuck in a blizzard/hiding from nuclear holocaust for weeks, I'd recommend this book to you. Also, if you really are committed to Ancient Greek History. ( )
  soradsauce | Nov 17, 2017 |
This work is a proper classic, therefore it is difficult to "review" it. This is my first cover-to-cover reading and I must say that putting the "speeches of democracy" into context is helpful. I have read Pericles "Funeral Oration" so many times, but it takes on such an insignificant role in the long history of Thucydides' incomplete work. We are lucky to have such a document survive, yet I was surprised by the lack of studies in English of the text and its context. For such an important document, I assumed that the scholarly work would have been done to death. At times, the History reads like an adventure novel, and often I found myself turning pages eagerly to discover what happened next. Nowadays, I try to read classics cover-to-cover because I, like many, have never devoted proper time to do so, but the effort is most rewarding. ( )
  madepercy | Nov 7, 2017 |
It was difficult to decide how to rate this book. On one hand, due to the fact that it is a very detailed account and history of the Peloponnesian war, it was hard to keep focused on it, and keep my attention, it seemed very raw and specific in everything, but on the same note, that's what makes it so great. For someone interested in a detailed, plus unbiased account of this particular part of history, it is absolutely incredible and a must read for any historian of classical antiquity. Even though Thucydides was an Athenian, you get details from every aspect of the war, from both sides. I'm glad I read this book. ( )
  JCNeuman | Aug 7, 2017 |

Strassler, Robert B.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thesleff, HolgerIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vidal-Naquet, PierreForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warner, RexTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thucydides the Athenian wrote the history of the war fought between Athens and Sparta, beginning the account at the very outbreak of the war, in the belief that it was going to be a great war and more worth writing about than any of those which had taken place in the past.
The Corcyraeans...went to the sanctuary of Hera and persuaded about fifty men to take their trial, and condemned them all to death. The mass of the suppliants who had refused to do so, on seeing what was taking place, slew each other there on the consecrated ground; some hanged themselves upon the trees, and others destroyed themselves as they were severally able. During seven days...the Corcyraeans were engaged in butchering those of their fellow-citizens whom they regarded as their enemies: and although the crime imputed was that of attempting to put down the democracy, some were slain also for private hatred, others by their debtors because of the moneys owed to them. Death thus raged in every shape; and as usually happens at such times, there was no length to which violence did not go; sons were killed by their fathers, and suppliants dragged from the altar or killed upon it, while some were even walled up in the temple of Dionysus and died there.

Written four hundred years before the birth of Christ, this detailed contemporary account of the struggle between Athens and Sparta stands an excellent chance of fulfilling the author's ambitious claim that the work "was done to last forever." The conflicts between the two empires over shipping, trade, and colonial expansion came to a head in 431 b.c. in Northern Greece, and the entire Greek world was plunged into 27 years of war. Thucydides applied a passion for accuracy and a contempt for myth and romance in compiling this exhaustively factual record of the disastrous conflict that eventually ended the Athenian empire.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:56 -0400)

Presents an English translation of the Greek text which provides an account of the people and events involved in the long, fifth-century conflict between Athens and Sparta, and includes notes, a glossary, and other resources.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,479,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible