The Button Man by Mark Pryor

The Button Man

by Mark Pryor

THE BUTTON MAN: A HUGO MARSTON PREQUEL by Mark Pryor is #4 in this great mystery series.
This title acts as a ‘prequel’ to Hugo’s current stint as security for the American Embassy in Paris.
Hugo is a favorite character of mine and this title has a bit of a ‘classic British mystery’ touch.
**** ( )
  diana.hauser | Feb 5, 2018 |
If you have not read anything previously by Mark Pryor, this would be a great book to pick up and read first, since it is actually a prequel to his Hugo Marston series. As usual with this series, I enjoyed the book a lot, and it was fun seeing a younger Hugo and his meeting some of his friends for the first time. I look forward to the next entry in this series. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
The book came as a prequel after three of the Hugo Marston novels had been published. It does provide some interesting backstory for ongoing story characters and motivations, but doesn't read as if it was the original book in the series. An entertaining read with some London thrown in. Murders without too many gory details and generally GP language. Perhaps one needs to suspend a bit of critical thinking to enjoy the story. One of the major plot points is somewhat unbelievable - a trained ex-FBI agent with important passengers exiting his vehicle to see why two people from the vehicle ahead were coming toward him. Really? ( )
  MM_Jones | May 13, 2017 |
The Button Man by Mark Pryor
3.5★'s
Hugo Marston series book #4

From The Book:
Former FBI profiler Hugo Marston has just become head of security at the US Embassy in London. He’s asked to protect a famous movie-star couple, Dayton Harper and Ginny Ferro, who, while filming a movie in rural England, killed a local man in a hit and run. The task turns from routine to disastrous almost immediately. Before Hugo even meets them, he finds out that Ferro has disappeared, and her body has been found hanging from an oak tree in a London cemetery. Hours later a distraught Harper gives Hugo the slip, and Hugo has no idea where he’s run off to. Taking cues from a secretive young lady named Merlyn, and with a Member of Parliament along for the chase, Hugo’s search leads to a quaint English village. There, instead of finding Harper, more bodies turn up. Teaming with local detectives and then venturing dangerously out on his own, Hugo struggles to find connections between the victims. Is this the work of a serial killer—or something else entirely? Knowing he’s being tailed, the killer prepares for the final, public act of his murderous plan, and Hugo arrives just in time to play his part.

My Thoughts
This was the first book by Mark Pryor and the first in this series that I had read. The writing style flowed very well and was very easy reading. The premise of the story was also very good...a body hanging in the graveyard and plenty of suspects. The main problem I had with the story was that the lead character...a former member of the FBI and the head of the American Embassy security...would lose the man he was supposed to be protecting in the first place...and then chase him all over London and the outlying villages with the aid of people that he knew absolutely nothing about other than what they had told him. That just didn't seem believable and it bothered me throughout the entire book. I do plan on reading others in this series as I found that Hugo is a very likable character on the whole.

Anyone looking for a murder mystery to enjoy without the blood and guts will find this series fits the bill perfectly. ( )
  Carol420 | Nov 15, 2016 |
In The Button Man, Marston, a former FBI profiler, is at this point in his career the head of security for the US Embassy in London. He is assigned to protect two American movie stars who have been involved in a deadly hit and run accident and are about to be released from custody.

The assignment goes wrong at an early stage and people start to die. Marston spends most of the book chasing down clues and trying to put the puzzle pieces together. I found the story and characters entertaining and look forward to the rest of the series. ( )
  Hanneri | Nov 11, 2015 |
To Nicola, with all my heart and love because every day you make me Laugh, every day you remind me to be silly, and because.... you're English, you are!
Hugo turned the corner onto Gable Street, the growl of London's evening traffic fading away behind him.

"Hugo Marston has just joined the State Department as head of security at the US Embassy in London. His task is to protect a pair of spoiled movie stars, Dayton Harper and his wife Ginny Ferro, whose reckless driving killed a prominent landowner in rural England"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,527,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible