Skink no surrender by Carl Hiaasen

Skink no surrender (2014)

by Carl Hiaasen

When 14 year old Malley is supposed to go to boarding school, she decides instead to take her chances running away with someone she has "met" on the internet. Her cousin and friend, Richard, takes charge in trying to save her when she secretly lets him know that things are not okay. Luckily, Richard has happened to meet up with an ex-governor Vietnam vet who is willing to take on the challenge of tracking Malley's clues and even wrestling alligators as well as fighting an online predator for his young friend's feisty cousin. Amidst all the wackiness of this Hiaasen novel, the dark undertone of abduction by an online predator lurks, although specifics of what this 26 year old man did to her was never addressed in detail. An exciting, fun adventure novel that leaves room for thought, this 281 page book would appeal to 6th grade and up and would make a good book discussion book. ( )
  sgrame | Feb 19, 2015 |
Not bad for a kid's book. ( )
  bigdemps | Nov 24, 2014 |
Being a HUGE Hiaasen fan I was looking forward to this latest novel especially with Skink in it. It was a good story but I have to say I really didn't like the way it was written. I've read many YA books and there was something missing like Hiaasen wasn't sure how far he could go with this age group. I've read all of his younger books, Hoot, Scat, Chomp and Flush, and they were much better, the only word I can thing of is tighter. I will hesitate to read anything else he targets for YA. (I've also read all his adult books.). ( )
  andsoitgoes | Nov 10, 2014 |
Skink who has made several appearances in Hiaasen's adult novels is one of the primary players here in Skink No Surrender, Hiaasen's first novel for teens. I'm well past my teens, but I found this book acceptable for my adult brain. It did read in a breezy style, but I detected no "talking down" to what is geared toward a younger reader. If you like Hiaasen, then you'll like this book. ( )
  bjkelley | Nov 2, 2014 |
I'm a Carl Hiaasen fan, both his original works and his YA oriented novels. Before reading this, I just couldn't imagine how the character of Skink could fit into a PG or even a YA book. He's a larger than life iconic hero. He fights to preserve and protect nature. His methods may be quirky, but his heart and head are always focused. He's salty, honest, inventive, willing to fight for his beliefs, and seemingly indestructible. And he's in this novel, helping Richard find his cousin Malley, who is missing after running off with a guy she met online. Skink and Richard head off into the backwoods of Florida in pursuit, when it becomes clear that Malley's absence has become an abduction.

The story is filled with classic Hiassen characters in absurd situations, with even more absurd outcomes. I will admit I missed some of the more colorful phraseology that usually emerges from Skink's mouth in books aimed at an older audience, but could understand why those expressions were rephrased by the narrator. At least they were acknowledged though, so Skink-ophiles could imagine what was said. But rest assured there are good guys and bad guys, and you'll know which one to cheer for. I understand this is the start of a YA series featuring Skink (and hopefully Mr Tile, who is a lot like Skink's Alfred Pennyworth, only a retired state trooper.) This is fine, but I do hope there will be another adult book where the colorful euphemisms can emerge again, too. ( )
  bookczuk | Oct 7, 2014 |

The #1 New York Times bestselling author Carl Hiaasen debuts his first book for teens with Skink—No Surrender.

Classic Malley—to avoid being shipped off to boarding school, she takes off with some guy she met online. Poor Richard—he knows his cousin’s in trouble before she does. Wild Skink—he’s a ragged, one-eyed ex-governor of Florida, and enough of a renegade to think he can track Malley down. With Richard riding shotgun, the unlikely pair scour the state, undaunted by blinding storms, crazed pigs, flying bullets, and giant gators.

Carl Hiaasen first introduced readers to Skink more than twenty-five years ago in Double Whammy, and he quickly became Hiaasen’s most iconic and beloved character, appearing in six novels to date. Both teens and adults will be thrilled to catch sight of the elusive “captain” as he pursues his own unique brand of swamp justice. With Skink at the wheel, the search for a missing girl is both nail-bitingly tense and laugh-out-loud funny.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 01 Jun 2014 08:03:17 -0400)

With the help of an eccentric ex-governor, a teenaged boy searches for his missing cousin in the Florida wilds.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,146,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible