Skink no surrender by Carl Hiaasen

Skink no surrender (2014)

by Carl Hiaasen

1961360,038 (3.63)2

Adult Reader Reaction: Quirky and poignant are the first words that come to mind. The story - told in Richard's voice - grabs you quickly and pulls you along. I was unfamiliar with the character "Skink" before I read No Surrender. I'm glad I met him. He's a great character, but I loved Richard, too, and would like to read about the next chapter in HIS life.

There is an unspoken irony in Malley running away with someone she just "met" and Richard going on this rescue mission with someone HE just met.

Pros: Even while being a bit unbelievable, the story is thrilling, touching, and laugh-out-loud funny. With references from the 1960s through the 2000s, preteens and adults can enjoy reading this together.

Read our full review and add yours at The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | Apr 14, 2015 |
This tale is about a high school kid who suspects something bad has happened to his cousin - who supposedly was headed off to a private school in New Hampshire. The story follows some normal Hiaasen twists and turns with the former governor and his friend from the State Police - Jim Tile making appearances. I enjoyed the read and think this book would be interesting for reluctant readers because of its humor, quirkiness, and irreverence. ( )
  tinkermn | Mar 27, 2015 |
When 14 year old Malley is supposed to go to boarding school, she decides instead to take her chances running away with someone she has "met" on the internet. Her cousin and friend, Richard, takes charge in trying to save her when she secretly lets him know that things are not okay. Luckily, Richard has happened to meet up with an ex-governor Vietnam vet who is willing to take on the challenge of tracking Malley's clues and even wrestling alligators as well as fighting an online predator for his young friend's feisty cousin. Amidst all the wackiness of this Hiaasen novel, the dark undertone of abduction by an online predator lurks, although specifics of what this 26 year old man did to her was never addressed in detail. An exciting, fun adventure novel that leaves room for thought, this 281 page book would appeal to 6th grade and up and would make a good book discussion book. ( )
  sgrame | Feb 19, 2015 |
Not bad for a kid's book. ( )
  bigdemps | Nov 24, 2014 |
Being a HUGE Hiaasen fan I was looking forward to this latest novel especially with Skink in it. It was a good story but I have to say I really didn't like the way it was written. I've read many YA books and there was something missing like Hiaasen wasn't sure how far he could go with this age group. I've read all of his younger books, Hoot, Scat, Chomp and Flush, and they were much better, the only word I can thing of is tighter. I will hesitate to read anything else he targets for YA. (I've also read all his adult books.). ( )
  andsoitgoes | Nov 10, 2014 |

The #1 New York Times bestselling author Carl Hiaasen debuts his first book for teens with Skink—No Surrender.

Classic Malley—to avoid being shipped off to boarding school, she takes off with some guy she met online. Poor Richard—he knows his cousin’s in trouble before she does. Wild Skink—he’s a ragged, one-eyed ex-governor of Florida, and enough of a renegade to think he can track Malley down. With Richard riding shotgun, the unlikely pair scour the state, undaunted by blinding storms, crazed pigs, flying bullets, and giant gators.

Carl Hiaasen first introduced readers to Skink more than twenty-five years ago in Double Whammy, and he quickly became Hiaasen’s most iconic and beloved character, appearing in six novels to date. Both teens and adults will be thrilled to catch sight of the elusive “captain” as he pursues his own unique brand of swamp justice. With Skink at the wheel, the search for a missing girl is both nail-bitingly tense and laugh-out-loud funny.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:33 -0400)

With the help of an eccentric ex-governor, a teenaged boy searches for his missing cousin in the Florida wilds.

116 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,465,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible