Wolf in White Van: A Novel by John Darnielle

Wolf in White Van: A Novel (edition 2015)

by John Darnielle (Author)

Member:selfnoise
Title:Wolf in White Van: A Novel
Authors:John Darnielle (Author)
Info:Picador (2015), Edition: Reprint, 224 pages
Rating:****1/2

Wolf in White Van by John Darnielle

All the Birds Singing by Evie Wyld (bibliovermis)
    bibliovermis: Another novel that can be read in either direction, exploring a teenage mistake and the moving on from it.
    Remainder by Tom McCarthy (revbean)
    revbean: Though quite different in a number of ways, Darnielle's Wolf in White Van and McCarthy's Remainder are both stories of men scarred by traumatic events who embrace world-creation as a means of coming to terms with their situations and (re)discovering themselves.… (more)

I don't get the fascination. It is a drab story full of an overthinking main character that is intended to be suspenseful. ( )
  kallai7 | Mar 23, 2017 |
2015 alex award
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
Well this book was more depressing than I thought it was going to be. And I mean, I wasn’t expecting a jolly book, what with the premise of a guy who tried to commit suicide. But there was just too much left unresolved.

I could definitely tell a musician wrote this. There was poetry in the words. It was often sad, but it was emotional in the way that good sad songs are.

The “plot” was confusing at best. I was never really sure what were the important parts, but I liked the lyrical text and the musings about life. This whole book was an exploration of “l’appel de vide” the “call of the void”, where you have an impulse to do something like jump off a building or crash your car. What would happen if you made that strongest choice? Well, in this story, it turns out kinda bad. And the whole book explores the results of actually acting out those impulses. It was weird and unsatisfying, but I think that was the point. ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |
When I was growing up with three brothers, it usually felt like gender was fluid and semi-imaginary, a concept that my parents used to excuse behaviors from my brothers while punishing them from me. But other times, it truly seemed that adolescent boys were another planet: inexplicable, barren, and remote; the fact that they were the stars of all the books and media I encountered a societal conspiracy, meant to trick me into thinking that they were also human. So to a certain extent, this book feels like a truth finally acknowledged, like I am an alien abductee discovering others like me in some dark corner of the internet. ( )
  bibliovermis | Jun 30, 2016 |
While not destined for mass-market appeal, I enjoyed Wolf In White Van immensely, and am disappointed that I cannot think of more people to recommend it to! I fear this title may have a very specific fan base - more cult-following than anything else. That being said, I personally found Sean to be such a familiar character that this book leaves me feeling haunted. Beautifully crafted, I found the audio version to be fantastically read by the author, John Darnielle. ( )
  Debra_Armbruster | May 16, 2016 |
But what drives “Wolf in White Van” is Mr. Darnielle’s uncanny sense of what it’s like to feel marginalized, an outsider, a freak. He has an instinctive understanding of fetid teenage emotional states and the “timelines of meaningless afternoons that ended somewhere big and terrible.”
added by ozzer | editNew York Times, DWIGHT GARNER (Sep 25, 2014)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0374292086, Hardcover)

“Quiet, mysterious, menacing, taking you places you will never, never get out of your head.” —Daniel Handler

Welcome to Trace Italian, a game of strategy and survival! You may now make your first move.

Isolated by a disfiguring injury since the age of seventeen, Sean Phillips crafts imaginary worlds for strangers to play in. From his small apartment in southern California, he orchestrates fantastic adventures where possibilities, both dark and bright, open in the boundaries between the real and the imagined. As the creator of “Trace Italian”—a text-based, role-playing game played through the mail—Sean guides players from around the world through his intricately imagined terrain, which they navigate and explore, turn by turn, seeking sanctuary in a ravaged, savage future America.
     Lance and Carrie are high school students from Florida, and are explorers of the Trace. But when they take their play into the real world, disaster strikes, and Sean is called on to account for it. In the process, he is pulled back through time, tracing back toward the moment of his own self-inflicted departure from the world in which most people live.
     Brilliantly constructed, Wolf in White Van unfolds backward in time until we arrive at both the beginning and the climax: the event that has shaped so much of Sean’s life. Beautifully written and unexpectedly moving, John Darnielle’s audacious and gripping debut novel is a marvel of storytelling brio and genuine literary delicacy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:04 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,483,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible