Wolf in White Van: A Novel by John Darnielle

Wolf in White Van: A Novel (original 2014; edition 2015)

by John Darnielle (Author)

Member:selfnoise
Title:Wolf in White Van: A Novel
Authors:John Darnielle (Author)
Info:Picador (2015), Edition: Reprint, 224 pages
Rating:****1/2

Wolf in White Van by John Darnielle (2014)

All the Birds Singing by Evie Wyld (bibliovermis)
    bibliovermis: Another novel that can be read in either direction, exploring a teenage mistake and the moving on from it.
    Remainder by Tom McCarthy (revbean)
    revbean: Though quite different in a number of ways, Darnielle's Wolf in White Van and McCarthy's Remainder are both stories of men scarred by traumatic events who embrace world-creation as a means of coming to terms with their situations and (re)discovering themselves.… (more)

This was such a fantastic read. I'm realizing that I tend to prefer books that are dense (and I don't mean that pompously; I think there's plenty of Stephen King and John Grisham that's plenty dense for me), but a lot of books I enjoy are very spare and sparse. Perhaps the economy pulls for tighter writing.

This was a pick for my book club, and we had very mixed opinions. Personally, I enjoyed the parallel storylines, even though that's a conceit that I often judge harshly. There was a great sense of person and place, and I thought it was sad and lovely. I don't know much about the author's band, but I'm not surprised he's a musician; the end of this book felt like listening to one of my favorite sad songs. ( )
  mediumofballpoint | Mar 4, 2019 |
Darnielle is one of my favorite musicians; I’m excited to find that his writing talents extend not just to great lyrics but also to entrancing prose. ( )
  brokensandals | Feb 7, 2019 |
I'm a fan of John Darnielle as a musician and a lyricist - the book jacket even mentions that he's widely considered one of the best lyricists of this generation - and he didn't disappoint. The prose is so beautiful here that it was easy for for me to overlook a few of the plot points that I wish had been clarified. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
Finished the book last night and this morning found myself starting again from the beginning. Had to stop and let the book live in my mind. America, guns, mass murder - but friendship, life, death. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | May 27, 2018 |
Défiguré par le fait de la prise des pilules analgésiques, Sean s'enferme dans un monde imaginaire et crée un jeu qui, s'avère dangeureux pour des jeunes voulant le transposer dans la vraie vie. Après la mort de ces jeunes, leurs parents ont envoyé à l'auteur du jeu une lettre d'injure ce qui, réactive chez lui des souvenirs enfouis.
  ACParakou | May 25, 2018 |
But what drives “Wolf in White Van” is Mr. Darnielle’s uncanny sense of what it’s like to feel marginalized, an outsider, a freak. He has an instinctive understanding of fetid teenage emotional states and the “timelines of meaningless afternoons that ended somewhere big and terrible.”
added by ozzer | editNew York Times, DWIGHT GARNER (Sep 25, 2014)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0374292086, Hardcover)

“Quiet, mysterious, menacing, taking you places you will never, never get out of your head.” —Daniel Handler

Welcome to Trace Italian, a game of strategy and survival! You may now make your first move.

Isolated by a disfiguring injury since the age of seventeen, Sean Phillips crafts imaginary worlds for strangers to play in. From his small apartment in southern California, he orchestrates fantastic adventures where possibilities, both dark and bright, open in the boundaries between the real and the imagined. As the creator of “Trace Italian”—a text-based, role-playing game played through the mail—Sean guides players from around the world through his intricately imagined terrain, which they navigate and explore, turn by turn, seeking sanctuary in a ravaged, savage future America.
     Lance and Carrie are high school students from Florida, and are explorers of the Trace. But when they take their play into the real world, disaster strikes, and Sean is called on to account for it. In the process, he is pulled back through time, tracing back toward the moment of his own self-inflicted departure from the world in which most people live.
     Brilliantly constructed, Wolf in White Van unfolds backward in time until we arrive at both the beginning and the climax: the event that has shaped so much of Sean’s life. Beautifully written and unexpectedly moving, John Darnielle’s audacious and gripping debut novel is a marvel of storytelling brio and genuine literary delicacy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:04 -0400)

"A novel about an interactive game designer with no face by the singer-songwriter behind the Mountain Goats and the author of Black Sabbath's Master of Reality (33-1/3)"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,398,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible