The Winter of Frankie Machine by Don Winslow

The Winter of Frankie Machine (2006)

by Don Winslow

English (8)  Spanish (3)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (15)
Once again, Winslow does not disappoint! This story starts off like a slow burn. Frank Machianno runs a bait shop and has a lot on his plate. It's not easy being him! Then, his past catches up with him, and the book takes off like wildfire! Lots of action, lots of mob stuff, and some heavy duty killing! And a good ending, with an even better epilogue! I can't believe I got this for a $1! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 23, 2016 |
Review for audiobook ~ 3 stars story ♫ 3 stars narration. I liked it well enough. It was so hard to keep up with who was who with all the flashbacks. Maybe if I was reading the book instead of an audiobook, I could have managed better... at least I could flip back and forth so I could remember these people, but I couldn't. So, a lot of the audiobook, I struggled.
The narration didn't really do it for me either. I feel generous with 3 stars. To me, he didn't sound anything like an older mob guy.
So, 3 stars all the way around. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
So, 3 stars all the way around. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
Questo potrebbe essere uno dei rari casi in cui il film tratto dal libro sarà migliore di quest'ultimo - sembra davvero scritto per De Niro. Il resto è il solito visto, con sovrabbondanza di omicidi. La trama, necessariamente scontata. I personaggi, i ben noti "bravi ragazzi". Ellroy, che in 4^ di copertina tesse le lodi di questa storia, un patacca. ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
Once again, Winslow does not disappoint! This story starts off like a slow burn. Frank Machianno runs a bait shop and has a lot on his plate. It's not easy being him! Then, his past catches up with him, and the book takes off like wildfire! Lots of action, lots of mob stuff, and some heavy duty killing! And a good ending, with an even better epilogue! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Feb 6, 2014 |

Don Winslowprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reichert, FrankTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
À Bill McEneaney,
professeur, ami, virtuose de l'art de la vie.
C'est un sacré boulot d'être moi.

From the bestselling author of Savages (now an Oliver Stone film).

Frankie Machianno, a hard-working entrepreneur, passionate lover, part-time surf bum, and full-time dad, is a widely recognized pillar of his waterfront community. He is also a retired hit man. Once better known as Frankie Machine, he was a brutally efficient killer. Now someone from his past wants him dead, and after a botched attempt on his life, Frankie sets out to find his potential killers. However, the list of suspects is longer than the California coastline. With the mob on his heels and the cops on his tail, Frankie hatches a plan to protect his family, save his life, and escape the mob forever. Then things get really complicated.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:21 -0400)

When a local mob boss calls in an old favor, Frank Machianno, the middle-aged owner of a bait shack on the San Diego waterfront, is forced to return to his old job as a hit man, and discovers that someone from his past wants him dead.

Don Winslow is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,860,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible