dismiss

The Wrath & the Dawn (The Wrath and the…

The Wrath & the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn) (edition 2016)

by Renée Ahdieh (Author)

In this reimagining of The Arabian Nights, Shahrzad plans to avenge the death of her dearest friend by volunteering to marry the murderous boy-king of Khorasan but discovers not all is as it seems within the palace.
Member:GrumpyLawyer
Title:The Wrath & the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn)
Authors:Renée Ahdieh (Author)
Info:Speak (2016), Edition: Reprint, 432 pages

The Wrath and the Dawn by Renée Ahdieh

This book is perfection. It is amazing well written and the plot is just mind blowing. The characters are so loveable I love Jalal the best and Khalid ( )
  Haleema-imran | Aug 3, 2020 |
Settling with 3.5 because I was confused between 3 and 4 stars.
The story has potential of course. It's based on the Thousand and One Arabian Nights. However, Shahrzad doesn't display the charm required of a storyteller throughout the book. She couldn't be a more boring character whose only attributes are conveyed to us by her admirers.
In reality, none of the characters are that memorable or fun to read. But the book itself isn't boring and that deserves a solid 3 in my opinion. Sometimes I thought things were being too lame. They were falling for each other too quickly. But since I don't care for the characters much, I'll let that slide.
In short, this is a fun book but not at all memorable.
Only thing that irked me was adding a Rajput without any respect of his origins. I am a Rajput so that is a sensitive topic for me. I have no idea why a Rajput would go and serve the Caliph without a major benefit. We had enough battles of our own to fight.

Quotes

One hundred lives for the one you took. One life to one dawn. Should you fail but a single morn, I shall take from you your dreams. I shall take from you your city. And I shall take from you these lives, a thousandfold.
“A shared history does not entitle you to a future, my friend.”
“I wish I possessed your particular brand of optimism,” Rahim grumbled.
“And what brand would that be?”
“Idiotic.”
  AzuraScarlet | Aug 1, 2020 |
What a delightful book. The pacing what quite frustrating in the first half of the book but the second half was excellent. It was so intense and I devoured every bit of the story.

I love all the characters. Shahrzad is an amazing young woman. She has a tongue sharp and a sword and so much courage to go through with her plan in the first place even it doesn't work out like she thought. Khalid is the quiet and beautiful love we all deserve. He's a bit of an a-hole at times but he does try and there is kindness and goodness in him and I love it. Then their is a fav in Jalal who is almost as wildly awesome as Shazi and who had me screaming in amazement quite a few times.

I had been about to give up on romance but the this brown girl on the cover pulled me back and I don't regret it. Such an exciting plot. ( )
  Isana | Jul 7, 2020 |
It should be illegal to end a book like that. ( )
  angelgay | Jul 1, 2020 |
I’ve been putting off reading this book for a while and now that I’ve read it I don’t know why. Because this was such a good book and I enjoyed it a lot. And I now wish that I had read it sooner.

I love retellings and stories inspired by fairy tales, folk tales, classic stories, etc. a lot, they are some of my favourite books to read, and I really loved that this was inspired by the Middle Eastern folk tales A Thousand and One Nights.

It was beautifully written and a joy to read. I love the journey that the main character, Shahrzad, goes through. From wanting revenge, to discovering secrets, to having her resolve tested, her ideas tested, her life on the line, caring for her enemies. It was excellent. I love the enemies-to-lovers trope and I was so happy that this book delivered it so well. I think the only thing I would have liked more was Khalid and Shahrzad to have more domestic scenes together. There was definetly some everyday scenes with Shahrzad explores the palace, meet people and be introduced into Khalid’s world and life. Getting break down some of his walls and barriers. But I would have loved some more fluff to be honest.

But I did love how Khalid and Shahrzad’s relationship develops over the book and how the two characters grow and change and learn to trust and rely on the other. It felt pretty realistic how the two of them learnt to trust each other and figured out how to open up about their feelings, thoughts and past to each other. It was really beautiful to read and I can not wait to read more about these two characters in the next book, The Rose and The Dagger.

There were a few things that I would have liked to be expanded on that I think would have made the story stronger. Shahrzad and Shavi’s friendship, Tariq and Shahrzad’s relationship; I would have liked maybe more flashbacks to show how they cared for each other or something that would convince me a bit more about the conflict that Shahrzad has between her feelings for her first love and her new feelings for Khalid, Khalid and Jalal’s relationship; I would have loved to have read more scenes between these two because they were great to read, more of Shahrzad’s sister; she just wasn’t in the story after the first few chapters and it made her feel like a bit of a pointless character, a bit more of the politics going on; it was touched on enough to make sense but I would have like a bit more depth. I think that in the next book it will be expanded on further with the ending hinting at the start of a war.

One of the things that I really loved about this book was that there are many sides to what is happening and what has happened before this book started. Like the truth behind why Khalid’s brides must die at dawn, what people think about him, how people react,

I thought that this story was super creative and really sucked me in. It was also really interesting to read Renee Ahdieh’s debut novel after reading some of her more recent books and to be able to see where she started and how much her storytelling and writing has grown.

I would recommend reading this book if you like enemies-to-lovers, stories inspired by folk tales and fairy tales, and if you enjoyed reading We Hunt the Flame, Wicked Saints, The Last Namsara and and of the Renee Ahdieh’s other books. ( )
  SarahsBookLife | Jun 24, 2020 |

Ahdieh, Renéeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Delawari, ArianaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

I once had a thousand desires,
But in my one desire to know you,
all else melted away.
Jalal al-Din Rumi
For Victor,
the story at the heart of mine.
And for Jessica,
the first star in my night sky.
It would not be a welcome dawn.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,074,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible