Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

The Nightingale

by Kristin Hannah

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr (LISandKL)
    Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky (pdebolt)
    Stones From The River by Ursula Hegi (dara85)
    Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian (cataylor)
    The blue bicycle by Régine Deforges (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: The book from which The Nightingale is "deeply inspired" (read: practically identical except for the ending); itself, ironically, "deeply inspired" from Gone with the Wind - Desforges was brought to court for plagiarism and initially found guilty even though she was later absolved.… (more)
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (tina1969)
    A Train in Winter: An Extraordinary Story of Women, Friendship, and Resistance in Occupied France by Caroline Moorehead (charlie68)
    charlie68: Similar setting
    Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (deslivres5)
    Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum (dara85)

English (288)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (293)
I don't give out 5 stars reviews easily, this book deserves a 10 star review. It is the story of the french people during the occupation of Nazi Germany. One sister is hot headed and reactionary, the other is calm and follows the rules. This book is one that I could not put down and when I did, I couldn't stop thinking of it and wanting to get back to it. I had known very little about the French resistance and occupation, mostly from old movies, this enlightened me and gave me such an appreciation for the French during this time. I can't stress enough what a must read this book is, it is definitely in my top 10 of books ever written. From beginning to end it is excellently written, amazingly portrayed while leaving out the graphic horror of the Nazi's and you will fall in love with the characters. Like I said, it deserves more than 5 stars. ( )
  LydiaGranda | Feb 15, 2019 |
This was a book about WWII that was nothing like anything I have read on the subject before. I did not know what to expect when I started this book as I thought it would be an historical romance that occurred during the war, but I could not have been more wrong.

This is the story of 2 French sisters and the roles they played in WWII. Vianne was married with one child living in the small town of Carrieau. Isabelle was an 18 year old girl who had been expelled from several schools due to her impulsive nature. Their father was a WWI veteran who lost his wife and sent his daughters to live in the country home with a nurse. He did not want to see them or spend time with them. There was a love/hate bond between them. When WWII broke out, Isabelle was sent to live with her sister and niece. Her brother-in-law had already gone off to war. The occupation of France is shown in this book to be as ugly and miserable as anything you may have read or heard. I was surprised to read about some of the things that happened there. Isabelle's path took her to the resistance outlining all she did to help the allies and the terror of her capture. Vianne remained home to care for her daughter while having German soldiers billet in her home. Her eventual work saving Jewish children came to pass and the death of her friends, community and relatives came out. I cried at parts of this story and felt proud of the strength of the female characters. This book may not have been completely historically accurate, but it opened my eyes to a part of history that may not be as well known as others. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
The Nightingale is a very popular read and for me I felt it would be out my comfort zone. The reason being the story is set against the WW2 and I don't normally enjoy books that are set in the period of history.

The story follows two sisters, Vianne and Isobelle. Both are very different character's and both deal with the war in two very different ways. To elobrate more will give away the story and could spoil what will happen.

I enjoyed this book very much, a lot more than what I expected to. A lovely emotional journey following the two sisters that did have me invested until the last page. This book really did play with the emotions. There are happy times in difficult circumstances and true horror that people endured in the war. Often we hear about the men in the war but this book tells what it was like for the women.

This book is the first by the author that I have read and it won't be my last. It is a book set during the war but it isn't all planes and tanks, but ordinary peoples lives and how the war was for them. I'm still not a big fan of books set in the war but I thoroughly enjoyed this one. ( )
  tina1969 | Jan 26, 2019 |
Heartbreaking story of the German occupation in France during WWII, and the bravery of 2 sisters. Beautiful, redemptive. Loved it. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
The rating refers to the beginning of the book, which really didn't grab me for a long time. I couldn't switch out of editor mode, and kept noticing sentences that could have been better. Glad I held on though, since the middle and the ending are better than the beginning. So I would rate the last 2/3 of the book a solid 4 . The author handles the mystery of the narrator's identity extremely well and keeps you rooting for both protagonists till the very end. ( )
  JMLandels | Jan 11, 2019 |
The lights are going out all over Europe; We shall not see them lit again in our lifetime. ---SIR EDWARD GREY, ON WORLD WAR I
Asking yourself a question, that's how resistance begins. And then ask that very question to someone else. ---REMCO CAMPERT
If you're going through hell, keep going. ---WINSTON CHURCHILL
To Matthew Shear. Friend. Mentor. Champion. You are missed.
And to Kaylee Nova Hannah, the newest star in our world.
Welcome, baby girl.
If I have learned anything in this long life of mine, it is this: In love we find out who we want to be; in war we find out who we are.
I know that grief, like regret, settles into our DNA and remains forever a part of us.
The stairs unfold from the ceiling like a gentleman extending his hand.
"I think, as this war goes on, we will all have to look more deeply. These questions are not about them, but about us."
"We are all fragile, Isabelle. It's the thing we learn in war."
If I had told him the truth long ago, or had danced and drunk and sung more, maybe he would have seen me instead of a dependable, ordinary mother. He loves a version of me that is incomplete. I always thought it was what I wanted: to be loved and admired. Now I think perhaps I'd like to be known.

Vianne and Isabelle have always been close despite their differences. Younger, bolder sister Isabelle lives in Paris while Vianne lives a quiet and content life in the French countryside with her husband Antoine and their daughter. When World War II strikes and Antoine is sent off to fight, Vianne and Isabelle's father sends Isabelle to help her older sister cope. As the war progresses, it's not only the sisters' relationship that is tested, but also their strength and their individual senses of right and wrong. With life as they know it changing in unbelievably horrific ways, Vianne and Isabelle will find themselves facing frightening situations and responding in ways they never thought possible as bravery and resistance take different forms in each of their actions.

From the #1 New York Times bestselling author comes Kristin Hannah’s next novel. It is an epic love story and family drama set at the dawn of World War II. She is the author of twenty-one novels. Her previous novels include Home Front, Night Road, Firefly Lane, Fly Away, and Winter Garden.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:47 -0400)

"An epic love story and family drama set at the dawn of World War II"--Provided by publisher."Viann and Isabelle have always been close despite their differences. Younger, bolder sister Isabelle lives in Paris while Viann lives a quiet and content life in the French countryside with her husband Antoine and their daughter. When World War II strikes and Antoine is sent off to fight, Viann and Isabelle's father sends Isabelle to help her older sister cope. As the war progresses, it's not only the sisters' relationship that is tested, but also their strength and their individual senses of right and wrong. With life as they know it changing in unbelievably horrific ways, Viann and Isabelle will find themselves facing frightening situations and responding in ways they never thought possible as bravery and resistance take different forms in each of their actions"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,471,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible