dismiss

The Nightingale

by Kristin Hannah

"Viann and Isabelle have always been close despite their differences. Younger, bolder sister Isabelle lives in Paris while Viann lives a quiet and content life in the French countryside with her husband Antoine and their daughter. When World War II strikes and Antoine is sent off to fight, Viann and Isabelle's father sends Isabelle to help her older sister cope. As the war progresses, it's not only the sisters' relationship that is tested, but also their strength and their individual senses of right and wrong. With life as they know it changing in unbelievably horrific ways, Viann and Isabelle will find themselves facing frightening situations and responding in ways they never thought possible as bravery and resistance take different forms in each of their actions. Vivid and exquiste in its illumination of a time and place that was filled with great monstrosities, but also great humanity and strength, Kristin Hannah's novel will provoke thought and discussion that will have readers talking long after they turn the last page"--… (more)

English (328)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Catalan (1)  All languages (335)
Best. book. ever. ( )
  Katherine_R_Willson | Jul 9, 2020 |
I realize this is a popular book, but I am not a fan of romance novels. I just didn't find the situation or characters to be realistic or engaging. I was aware that young women were used as operatives by the French Resistance during WWIi, but this book is no Schindler's List. ( )
  kerryp | Jul 4, 2020 |
You are a damn fool if you don't read this. And I'm not even a huge war/historical fiction book guy. This book got so much hype that I thought there was absolutely NO way it would live up to it. But it did more than that. It surpassed it. I would give it more than 5 stars if I could. My favorite books are a pretty exclusive list and it usually takes me a while to decide whether a book fits that list or not but this was an instant favorite. The last 50 or so pages are especially a tear-jerker (men - don't even say you didn't shed a tear). This WW2 novel was so beautifully written. This war particularly was a time of bitter hatred and in this book, Kristin Hannah brings to life love, survival, bitterness, strength, and above all, persistence. This is just a very complete book. I hope that makes sense when I say it. I was satisfied with the entire experience. Emotional and at times nerve-wracking. Love and hope mixed with fear and suffering. Hard choices that are unavoidable, easy choices that come with great risk. This book is a historical fiction roller coaster ride. ( )
  jonathanpapz | Jul 2, 2020 |
Just finished reading "The Nightingale" by Kristin Hannah. OMG! This is an excellent book! I would highly recommend reading it. It is a story of two sisters living in WW2 France and the choices they make to survive the war. Ms. Hannah is an elegant writer who made these characters come to life. Both sisters are courageous, each in their own way. Be prepared to have a box of tissues with you. You'll need them! ( )
  Martha662 | Jun 27, 2020 |
This one is a real page turner. Couldn’t put it down. ( )
  CynthiaMackey | Jun 11, 2020 |
The lights are going out all over Europe; We shall not see them lit again in our lifetime. ---SIR EDWARD GREY, ON WORLD WAR I
Asking yourself a question, that's how resistance begins. And then ask that very question to someone else. ---REMCO CAMPERT
If you're going through hell, keep going. ---WINSTON CHURCHILL
To Matthew Shear. Friend. Mentor. Champion. You are missed.
And to Kaylee Nova Hannah, the newest star in our world.
Welcome, baby girl.
If I have learned anything in this long life of mine, it is this: In love we find out who we want to be; in war we find out who we are.
I know that grief, like regret, settles into our DNA and remains forever a part of us.
The stairs unfold from the ceiling like a gentleman extending his hand.
"I think, as this war goes on, we will all have to look more deeply. These questions are not about them, but about us."
"We are all fragile, Isabelle. It's the thing we learn in war."
If I had told him the truth long ago, or had danced and drunk and sung more, maybe he would have seen me instead of a dependable, ordinary mother. He loves a version of me that is incomplete. I always thought it was what I wanted: to be loved and admired. Now I think perhaps I'd like to be known.

Vianne and Isabelle have always been close despite their differences. Younger, bolder sister Isabelle lives in Paris while Vianne lives a quiet and content life in the French countryside with her husband Antoine and their daughter. When World War II strikes and Antoine is sent off to fight, Vianne and Isabelle's father sends Isabelle to help her older sister cope. As the war progresses, it's not only the sisters' relationship that is tested, but also their strength and their individual senses of right and wrong. With life as they know it changing in unbelievably horrific ways, Vianne and Isabelle will find themselves facing frightening situations and responding in ways they never thought possible as bravery and resistance take different forms in each of their actions.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,923,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible