El Deafo by Cece Bell

El Deafo

by Cece Bell

Other authors: David Lasky (Colorist)

This story was touching and humorous while convincingly sharing what it's like to be different and want to be like anyone else. I loved the magical imagination of childhood that was also conveyed! ( )
  AngelaKastrava | May 21, 2017 |
An animated story about a girl that grows up deaf.
  pcanoy | May 4, 2017 |
Cece lost her hearing due to meningitis. She wants to fit in with the other kids in school but finds it hard with a hearing aid hanging around her neck. She makes friends and loses some along the way, but finds her true friend in the end. This book shows that not everyone is the same and to treat everyone with respect. Students can learn a lot of life lessons by reading this book. ( )
  MeaganBilski | May 1, 2017 |
I enjoyed the book El Deafo by Cece Bell for two main reasons. First, I liked this book because it is a graphic novel. I have personally never read a graphic novel before this, and I was very interested by it. Because this book is about deafness, the characters illustrated are rabbits. The reason for this, in my opinion, is because rabbits have prominent ears so that it is easy for readers to see the hearing aids that the main character wears. The illustrations in this graphic novel are filled with bright colors and allow the reader to make connections with the text. For example, when Bell states on page 40, “The Phonic Ear is paired with a microphone that my teacher, Mrs. Lufton, is supposed to wear,” the reader may not be able to picture this in their head. However, because this is a graphic novel, there are pictures that describe what the author is talking about.

The second reason that I liked this book is because is about acceptance and friendship. Cece, the main character, is self-conscious of her hearing aid throughout the book. However, even though she is different than many of her classmates, she is still accepted in her new school. This book would be a wonderful book to incorporate into upper elementary and middle school classrooms because it teaches children that disabilities should not be seen as restrictions. Instead of looking at disabilities as a downfall, it teaches readers that disabilities make people special in their own way. ( )
  koreil6 | Apr 30, 2017 |
In my opinion, this is an amazing book! It was ingenious of CeCe Bell to turn her experience of losing her hearing as a child into a graphic novel. Even though this autobiographic book was aimed for the middle school-aged audience, its fantasy-like characters is enough to grab the attention of younger readers as well. My eight-year-old loved to read this story at bed time. She wanted to take the book with her everywhere she went. When she turned to the back of the book and learned that it was a true story, she became even more engulfed with the character. This book was a great way for children to share the experience of what it feels like to be Deaf. It is a lesson that raises awareness to the sensitivity of impairments. It is also a good lesson on how assisted devices like the Phonic Ear impact one’s life. Without hesitation, I would give this gook five stars! ( )
  KrissyKares | Apr 22, 2017 |

Cece Bellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lasky, DavidColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Keegan, CaitlinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For George and Barbara Bell, parents extraordinaire
I was a regular little kid.

Going to school and making new friends can be tough. But going to school and making new friends while wearing a bulky hearing aid strapped to your chest? That requires superpowers! In this funny, poignant graphic novel memoir, author/illustrator Cece Bell chronicles her hearing loss at a young age and her subsequent experiences with the Phonic Ear, a very powerful—and very awkward—hearing aid.
The Phonic Ear gives Cece the ability to hear—sometimes things she shouldn’t—but also isolates her from her classmates. She really just wants to fit in and find a true friend, someone who appreciates her as she is. After some trouble, she is finally able to harness the power of the Phonic Ear and become “El Deafo, Listener for All.” And more importantly, declare a place for herself in the world and find the friend she’s longed for.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,487,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible