El Deafo by Cece Bell

El Deafo

by Cece Bell

Other authors: David Lasky (Colorist)

In my opinion, this is an amazing book! It was ingenious of CeCe Bell to turn her experience of losing her hearing as a child into a graphic novel. Even though this autobiographic book was aimed for the middle school-aged audience, its fantasy-like characters is enough to grab the attention of younger readers as well. My eight-year-old loved to read this story at bed time. She wanted to take the book with her everywhere she went. When she turned to the back of the book and learned that it was a true story, she became even more engulfed with the character. This book was a great way for children to share the experience of what it feels like to be Deaf. It is a lesson that raises awareness to the sensitivity of impairments. It is also a good lesson on how assisted devices like the Phonic Ear impact one’s life. Without hesitation, I would give this gook five stars! ( )
  KrissyKares | Apr 22, 2017 |
Another graphic novel I enjoyed about Cece Bell who has lost her hearing due to spinal meningitis. She just wants to fit in with the other kids but how can she with her hearing aid around her neck? This is a wonderful memoir of the journey a young girl takes while losing her hearing and dealing with being different. The graphics help explain the story of her journey as much as the writing. ( )
  SraSpoer | Apr 18, 2017 |
This book is a semi-autobiographical adult graphic novel about a four-year-old rabbit struggling to balance her childhood with her deafness. She begins life like a normal young girl. She loves her family, has a best friend named Emma, and loved to ride her bike with her dad. Unfortunately, Cece contracts meningitis, which leads to her deafness. She is uncomfortable when she has to be fitted for her hearing device because it makes her look knowingly different from her peers. I loved this book for a multitude of reasons. First, it is a graphic novel, something that is uncommonly read. The illustrations are lively, colorful, and help add to the story. The second reason is how the characters are written and what they are. All of the characters are not only rabbits, but are extremely believable – readers can really relate to the rabbits. It was wonderful to see how the different relationships in this book handle Cece’s deafness. Lastly, my favorite part about this book was the message of acceptance and friendship. Cece feels like she will not fit in because of her hearing aid, which leads her to become self-confidence. Much to her surprise, Cece is accepted in her new schools. This book teaches students that no matter what differences you have; everyone is special in their own particular way. All in all, I loved this become and would highly recommend everyone to read this meaningful story! ( )
  sameentaj | Apr 17, 2017 |
After reading El Deafo, I thought to myself that this book should be one that every 5th-6th has to read because it is a fun, heart-warming graphic novel about a little girl with a hearing aid, named CeCe who struggles to find true friends because she is "different" and her adventures in school. I loved this book for three main reasons, one being that the graphic novel uses illustrations where the colors pop out at you and really make you feel and understand what is going on with CeCe and even her classmates. The illustrations are suppose to help tell the story and the illustrations in El Deafo, most definitely do! Another reason is the characters. I loved the fact that the characters in the book were all rabbits. Although rabbits do not talk, they were believable characters that were fun but still were able to show aspects of living and having relationships while handling deafness. I really did like the development of the characters as well. Throughout the graphic novel, CeCe makes friends and then looses them for all different reasons. Some were too bossy, others talked to her slowly, and some were afraid to play with her in fear they could hurt her more than she already is, but the best thing is everything worked out in the end and you really got to see the characters mature and come into their own.the characters developed into great rabbits :) Lastly, I loved the writing style of the graphic novel. It was so engaging and organized. I have never read a graphic novel before and I read with such ease and excitement while reading El Deafo. CeCe Bell does an amazing job telling a story that's big ideas are that disabilities do not have to be seen as restriction, but rather as differences that make you special. CeCe demonstrates her uniqueness by using her differences to become a powerful super hero, named El Deafo. Overall, I adored this book and would recommend that everyone read it because it is a powerful story with multiple lessons and opportunities to learn. ( )
  mscanl1 | Apr 17, 2017 |
I would recommend reading "El Deafo" for three reasons. First, this is a chapter book in the style of a comic. The style of "El Deafo" makes it a very fun read. The action is displayed on every page in a series of around three or more pictures with dialogue, inner dialogue, and narration shown along with the images. Secondly, the characters are realistic and inspirational. The main character, Cece, struggles with hearing and must use a hearing devices that makes her very self-conscious. The struggles Cece faces due to her impairment make this story relatable to anyone who has ever faced adversity due to factors in their lives they cannot control. Throughout the story Cece develops friendships with other children that accept her and eventually Cece becomes the talk of the town due to her "super power." Lastly, I liked this book because of the message. The overall message of "El Deafo" is one of acceptance and friendship. Cece feels as if she will not fit in to her new school because her hearing aid makes her different then the other students. In the end Cece is accepted and beloved for her "super hearing powers," which sends the message that no matter who you are or what differences you have there is something special in everyone that is waiting to be discovered. ( )
  gregclemens | Apr 10, 2017 |

Cece Bellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lasky, DavidColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Keegan, CaitlinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For George and Barbara Bell, parents extraordinaire
I was a regular little kid.

Going to school and making new friends can be tough. But going to school and making new friends while wearing a bulky hearing aid strapped to your chest? That requires superpowers! In this funny, poignant graphic novel memoir, author/illustrator Cece Bell chronicles her hearing loss at a young age and her subsequent experiences with the Phonic Ear, a very powerful—and very awkward—hearing aid.
The Phonic Ear gives Cece the ability to hear—sometimes things she shouldn’t—but also isolates her from her classmates. She really just wants to fit in and find a true friend, someone who appreciates her as she is. After some trouble, she is finally able to harness the power of the Phonic Ear and become “El Deafo, Listener for All.” And more importantly, declare a place for herself in the world and find the friend she’s longed for.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,852,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible