Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

Rebecca (original 1938; edition 2013)

by Daphne Du Maurier (Author)

14,599441231 (4.22)3 / 1463
Member:AngYoder
Title:Rebecca
Authors:Daphne Du Maurier (Author)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2013), 449 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (1938)

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (chrisharpe, fannyprice, ladybug74, HollyMS)
    chrisharpe: There are some similarities between these two books: a young woman marries an older widower and moves to his mansion, where the marriage is challenged by the unearthly presence of the first wife.
    fannyprice: These two books reminded me a lot of each other but Rebecca was more modern and somewhat less preachy.
    HollyMS: Since Rebecca was published, observers have noticed that it has parallels to Jane Eyre. Both are dark stories about young women who marry wealthy Englishmen.
    My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier (HollyMS, EllieH)
    HollyMS: Daphne Du Maurier's My Cousin Rachel has a similar theme as Rebecca.
    Jamaica Inn by Daphne Du Maurier (katie4098)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (citygirl)
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (starfishian)
    The Scapegoat by Daphne Du Maurier (lois1)
    Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (kiwiflowa, lahochstetler)
    Lorna Doone by R. D. Blackmore (Sylak)
    Sylak: Another saga set against a hauntingly beautiful landscape - but this time its in Exmoor.
    We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (teelgee)
    Thornyhold by Mary Stewart (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Although I believe that du Maurier was the better writer, Thornyhold and many others by Mary Stewart give the same suspenseful feeling.
    Don't Look Now by Daphne Du Maurier (Z-Ryan, cometahalley)
    The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (DaraBrooke)
    Mistress of Mellyn by Victoria Holt (kraaivrouw, FutureMrsJoshGroban, nu-bibliophile)
    Freedom and Necessity by Steven Brust (bjappleg8)
    bjappleg8: first person narrative; ambiguous supernatural elements; slow unravelling of a mystery in a historical British setting
    Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart (nu-bibliophile)
    Vanishing Cornwall by Daphne du Maurier (Z-Ryan)
    Vera by Elizabeth von Arnim (bell7)
    A Sucessora by Carolina Nabuco (HollyMS)
    HollyMS: When Rebecca came out, there were accusations that Daphne du Maurier had plagiarized A sucessora (The Sucessor) by Brazilian author Carolina Nabuco. Read it and decide for yourself.
    Yes, My Darling Daughter by Margaret Leroy (WildMaggie)
    The Secrets Between Us by Louise Douglas (generalkala)

1930s (4)
To Read (299)

English (425)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  German (3)  Italian (3)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (441)
Ma che bellezza questo libro, ti prende per mano e ti accompagna in una storia da capogiro.... descrizioni deliziose e minuziose ma mai prolisse, eventi logici mai pedanti e personaggi a cui ti affezioni( nel bene o nel male) subito.....
me lo sono proprio goduto pagina per pagina.....finale perfetto!!!!
( una cosuccia, ho dovuto rileggermi l'inizio per capire appieno il finale......;)

non lo definirei libro horror, non ho idea del perchè venga considerato così, ne il perchè venga nominato tra i gotici.... sicuramente un mistery inglese fine 800, da non perdere!!! ( )
  Mandane75 | Nov 16, 2018 |
me lo sono proprio goduto pagina per pagina.....finale perfetto!!!!

Mandane75 | Nov 16, 2018 |
Masterful story, full of tension that keeps you hooked from start to finish. Beautiful, atmospheric writing - a haunting gothic mansion; a garden that forbodes; a dead wife who still rules the estate. Du Maurier brilliantly weaves a story of country idyll filled with unease - we sense the secrets, we even guess them - but there is always another. New revelations keep rewriting the previous events; the story keeps ending, but there is always one more dramatic turn.

The new young wife never can live upto Rebecca's memory. Rebecca is the perfect, polished socialite, lively, intelligent, beautiful, mesmerizing. Everyone loves Rebecca. Rebecca is everywhere. And Rebecca gets what she wants - even in death. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
I like the twists and turns in this story. The story unfolds as the MC finds out her husband’s past. I’m surprised she stays in the end. But it would be correct for the time period, not today. ( )
  caanderson | Oct 28, 2018 |
"I wondered how many people there were in the world who suffered, and continued to suffer, because they could not break out from their own web of shyness and reserve, and in their blindness and folly built up a great distorted wall in front of them that hid the truth."

So says The Unnamed Narrator of Rebecca and with that mixed metaphor - brilliant nonetheless - she finally pokes through the gossamer cocoon of her life and emerges to breathe in a newfound maturity. For The Unnamed Narrator, there are many moments like this in the story, and, unfortunately, with every new insight comes some really unpleasant hanger-ons. And the nightmare which begins with the first sentence just gets darker and scarier for her and we feel as do all dreamers of bad dreams: stuck, paralyzed, in plain sight of the monster, with no hope of an escape.

The author writes beautifully and she "turns the screw" ever so gently, each new revelation arriving at the perfect moment and in such a way as to disorient one with the softness of its touch. Was that a feather brushing against my arm or a black widow spider seeking an unguarded place to bite? With Daphne du Maurier, it is always a spider, and what you realize as you progress through her story is that you were already bitten at the very beginning and now you have no choice but to fight the effects of the venom - it is deadly fun. I couldn't put it down - automatic five stars! ( )
1 vote ReneEldaBard | Oct 15, 2018 |

Scalero, AlessandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schab, Karin vonÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stibolt, HelenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vasara, HelviTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.
'You see,' she said, snapping the top, and walking down the stairs, 'you are so very different from Rebecca.'
We came to Manderley in early May, arriving, so Maxim said, with the first swallows and the bluebells. It would be the best moment, before the full flush of summer, and in the valley the azaleas would be prodigal of scent and the blood-red rhododendrons in bloom.
Forget it, Mrs. de Winter, forget it, as he has done, thank heaven, and the rest of us. We none of us want to bring back the past, Maxim least of all. And it's up to you, you know, to lead us away from it. Not to take us back there again.
If only there could be an invention that bottled up a memory, like scent. And it never faded, and it never got stale. And then, when one wanted it, the bottle could be uncorked, and it would be like living the moment all over again.

"Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again..."

So the second Mrs. Maxim de Winter remembered the chilling events that led her down the turning drive past the beeches, white and naked, to the isolated gray stone manse on the windswept Cornish coast. Working as a lady's companion, she learns her place. Her future looks bleak until, on a trip to the South of France, she meets Max de Winter, a handsome widower whose sudden proprosal of marriage takes her by surprise. She accepts, but whisked from glamorous Monte Carlo to the ominous and brooding Manderley, the new Mrs de Winter finds Max a changed man.

With a husband she barely knew, the young bride arrived at this immense estate, only to be inexorably drawn into the life of the first Mrs. de Winter, the beautiful Rebecca, dead but never forgotten... her suite of rooms never touched, her clothes ready to be worn, her servant -- the sinister Mrs. Danvers -- still loyal. And as an eerie presentiment of evil tightened around her heart, the second Mrs. de Winter began her search for the real fate of Rebecca... for the secrets of Manderley.
Nameless narrator

marries wealthy widower;

haunting Rebecca.

With these words, the reader is ushered into an isolated gray stone mansion on the windswept Cornish coast, as the second Mrs. Maxim de Winter recalls the chilling events that transpired as she began her new life as the young bride of a husband she barely knew. For in every corner of every room were phantoms of a time dead but not forgotten—a past devotedly preserved by the sinister housekeeper, Mrs. Danvers: a suite immaculate and untouched, clothing laid out and ready to be worn, but not by any of the great house's current occupants. With an eerie presentiment of evil tightening her heart, the second Mrs. de Winter walked in the shadow of her mysterious predecessor, determined to uncover the darkest secrets and shattering truths about Maxim's first wife—the late and hauntingly beautiful Rebecca.

This special edition of Rebecca includes excerpts from Daphne du Maurier's The Rebecca Notebook and Other Memories, an essay on the real Manderley, du Maurier's original epilogue to the book, and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

The second Mrs. Maxim de Winter finds it difficult and frightening to live in the shadow of her predecessor, a situation that is exacerbated by her husband's moodiness, and the presence of sinister housekeeper, Mrs. Danvers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,217,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible