Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

Rebecca (original 1938; edition 1997)

by Daphne Du Maurier

11,204None249 (4.23)3 / 1082
Member:writestuff
Title:Rebecca
Authors:Daphne Du Maurier
Info:Harper Paperbacks (1997), Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:2008 Read, Classic Literature, Gothic Literature, British Literature, BEST of 2008, MUST READ

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (1938)

1001 (85) 1001 books (71) 1930s (66) 20th century (151) British (167) British literature (119) classic (422) classics (301) Cornwall (110) daphne du maurier (56) England (235) English (67) English literature (85) favorites (50) fiction (1,461) gothic (364) historical fiction (58) literature (121) love (46) marriage (64) murder (100) mystery (614) novel (229) own (71) read (177) romance (356) suspense (278) thriller (74) to-read (226) unread (54)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (chrisharpe, fannyprice, ladybug74, Hollerama)
    chrisharpe: There are some similarities between these two books: a young woman marries an older widower and moves to his mansion, where the marriage is challenged by the unearthly presence of the first wife.
    fannyprice: These two books reminded me a lot of each other but Rebecca was more modern and somewhat less preachy.
    Hollerama: Since Rebecca was published, observers have noticed that it has parallels to Jane Eyre. Both are dark stories about young women who marry wealthy Englishmen.
    My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier (Hollerama, EllieH)
    Hollerama: Daphne Du Maurier's My Cousin Rachel has a similar theme as Rebecca.
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (citygirl)
    Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier (katie4098)
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (starfishian)
    The Scapegoat by Daphne du Maurier (lois1)
    Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (kiwiflowa, lahochstetler)
    Lorna Doone by Richard Doddridge Blackmore (Sylak)
    Sylak: Another saga set against a hauntingly beautiful landscape - but this time its in Exmoor.
    Thornyhold by Mary Stewart (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Although I believe that du Maurier was the better writer, Thornyhold and many others by Mary Stewart give the same suspenseful feeling.
    Mistress of Mellyn by Victoria Holt (kraaivrouw, FutureMrsJoshGroban, nu-bibliophile)
    We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (teelgee)
    Don't Look Now by Daphne du Maurier (Z-Ryan)
    Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart (nu-bibliophile)
    A sucessora by Carolina Nabuco (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: When Rebecca came out, there were accusations that Daphne du Maurier had plagiarized A sucessora (The Sucessor) by Brazilian author Carolina Nabuco. Read it and decide for yourself.
    The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (DaraBrooke)
    Freedom and Necessity by Steven Brust (bjappleg8)
    bjappleg8: first person narrative; ambiguous supernatural elements; slow unravelling of a mystery in a historical British setting
    Vera by Elizabeth von Arnim (bell7)
    Vanishing Cornwall by Daphne du Maurier (Z-Ryan)
    The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters (Beezie)
    Yes, My Darling Daughter (US) or The Drowning Girl (UK) by Margaret Leroy (WildMaggie)

English (284)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (297)
This is a under the covers flashlight in hand, can not put down, stay up all night with nose firmly planted in book. I first read "Rebecca" as a pre-teen. Immediately I was impressed not only with the book but with the life of Daphne du Maurier. Even the name fired my imagination and her beautiful descriptive details of English flowers, landscapes and architecture began my sojourn into the love of all things English. One of the most famous lines in literature,"Last night I DREAMT I went to Manderley again".Also a classic movie by Hitchcock and well worth seeing after you read the book.
Notables: It is believed the book was used as the key to a code book by the Germans.
Ken Follett used this idea in his book "Key to Rebecca".
Referenced in Stephen King's book " Bag of Bones" as Mrs. Danvers is a portrayed as the boogeyman.
  ac19193 | Apr 9, 2014 |
In one word Lush!

If I was a fan of romance than I should have to give it 5 stars. (what a great discussion we had in book club! Changed my mind to FIVE STARS)

"Rebecca, always Rebecca. Wherever I walked in Manderly, wherever I sat, even in my thoughts and in my dreams, I met Rebecca. I knew her figure now, the long slim legs, the small and narrow feet. Her shoulders, broader than mine, the capable clever hands. Hands that could steer a boat, could hold a horse. Hands that arranged flowers, made the models of ships, and wrote "Max from Rebecca" on a fly-leaf of a book. I knew her face too, small and oval, the clear white skin, the cloud of dark hair. I knew the scent she wore, I could guess her laughter and her smile. If I heard it, even among a thousand others, I should recognize her voice. Rebecca, always Rebecca. I should never be rid of Rebecca." ( )
  FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
In one word Lush!

FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

A Novel That Never Gets Old!

There is a reason this book is a classic. The story of a young bride confronted with the memory of her husband's deceased first wife. The bride is never named. Rebecca is the name of the late first wife and her memory still holds the husband and those around the bride in her thrall. The shy unnamed bride struggles to assert her own identity and finds herself pulled into the mystery of who Rebecca really was. It is an involving and compelling story that is as entertaining to read now as when it was published in 1938. Rebecca is a book that readers will find themselves returning to read several times. The story never disappoints!

I received an e-book copy in exchange for a fair and honest review ( )
  Myrt | Apr 2, 2014 |
Oh how I love this book. I read it after watching the movie years ago and had forgotten about it. Now I have to read it again! ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |

Maurier, Daphne duprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beauman, SallyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Massey, AnnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vasara, HelviTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.
Rebecca, first published in 1938, was Daphne du Maurier's fifth novel. (Afterword)
'You see,' she said, snapping the top, and walking down the stairs, 'you are so very different from Rebecca.'
We came to Manderley in early May, arriving, so Maxim said, with the first swallows and the bluebells. It would be the best moment, before the full flush of summer, and in the valley the azaleas would be prodigal of scent and the blood-red rhododendrons in bloom.
Forget it, Mrs. de Winter, forget it, as he has done, thank heaven, and the rest of us. We none of us want to bring back the past, Maxim least of all. And it's up to you, you know, to lead us away from it. Not to take us back there again.
Frank knew, but Maxim did not know that he knew. And Frank did not want Maxim to know that he knew. And we all stood there, looking at one another, keeping up these little barriers between us.

"Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again..."

So the second Mrs. Maxim de Winter remembered the chilling events that led her down the turning drive past the beeches, white and naked, to the isolated gray stone manse on the windswept Cornish coast. Working as a lady's companion, she learns her place. Her future looks bleak until, on a trip to the South of France, she meets Max de Winter, a handsome widower whose sudden proprosal of marriage takes her by surprise. She accepts, but whisked from glamorous Monte Carlo to the ominous and brooding Manderley, the new Mrs de Winter finds Max a changed man.

With a husband she barely knew, the young bride arrived at this immense estate, only to be inexorably drawn into the life of the first Mrs. de Winter, the beautiful Rebecca, dead but never forgotten... her suite of rooms never touched, her clothes ready to be worn, her servant -- the sinister Mrs. Danvers -- still loyal. And as an eerie presentiment of evil tightened around her heart, the second Mrs. de Winter began her search for the real fate of Rebecca... for the secrets of Manderley.

With these words, the reader is ushered into an isolated gray stone mansion on the windswept Cornish coast, as the second Mrs. Maxim de Winter recalls the chilling events that transpired as she began her new life as the young bride of a husband she barely knew. For in every corner of every room were phantoms of a time dead but not forgotten—a past devotedly preserved by the sinister housekeeper, Mrs. Danvers: a suite immaculate and untouched, clothing laid out and ready to be worn, but not by any of the great house's current occupants. With an eerie presentiment of evil tightening her heart, the second Mrs. de Winter walked in the shadow of her mysterious predecessor, determined to uncover the darkest secrets and shattering truths about Maxim's first wife—the late and hauntingly beautiful Rebecca.

This special edition of Rebecca includes excerpts from Daphne du Maurier's The Rebecca Notebook and Other Memories, an essay on the real Manderley, du Maurier's original epilogue to the book, and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:52 -0400)

The second Mrs. Maxim de Winter finds it difficult and frightening to live in the shadow of her predecessor, a situation that is exacerbated by her husband's moodiness, and the presence of sinister housekeeper, Mrs. Danvers.

Thirteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,495,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible