Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Rebecca (original 1938; edition 1971)

by Daphne du Maurier

11,578312233 (4.23)3 / 1146
Member:MsCellophane
Title:Rebecca
Authors:Daphne du Maurier (Author)
Info:Avon Books (1971), Mass Market Paperback, 380 pages
Collections:Your library, Illinois library
Tags:fiction

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (1938)

Recently added byNanaCC, JaneWilson, private library, echoindarkness, HubCity, atheist_goat, MaraBlaise
Legacy LibrariesAstrid Lindgren, Carl Sandburg
1930s (6)
Unread books (1,027)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (chrisharpe, fannyprice, ladybug74, Hollerama)
    chrisharpe: There are some similarities between these two books: a young woman marries an older widower and moves to his mansion, where the marriage is challenged by the unearthly presence of the first wife.
    fannyprice: These two books reminded me a lot of each other but Rebecca was more modern and somewhat less preachy.
    Hollerama: Since Rebecca was published, observers have noticed that it has parallels to Jane Eyre. Both are dark stories about young women who marry wealthy Englishmen.
    My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier (Hollerama, EllieH)
    Hollerama: Daphne Du Maurier's My Cousin Rachel has a similar theme as Rebecca.
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (citygirl)
    Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier (katie4098)
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (starfishian)
    Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (kiwiflowa, lahochstetler)
    The Scapegoat by Daphne du Maurier (lois1)
    Lorna Doone by Richard Doddridge Blackmore (Sylak)
    Sylak: Another saga set against a hauntingly beautiful landscape - but this time its in Exmoor.
    Thornyhold by Mary Stewart (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Although I believe that du Maurier was the better writer, Thornyhold and many others by Mary Stewart give the same suspenseful feeling.
    Mistress of Mellyn by Victoria Holt (kraaivrouw, FutureMrsJoshGroban, nu-bibliophile)
    Don't Look Now by Daphne du Maurier (Z-Ryan)
    Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart (nu-bibliophile)
    We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (teelgee)
    Freedom and Necessity by Steven Brust (bjappleg8)
    bjappleg8: first person narrative; ambiguous supernatural elements; slow unravelling of a mystery in a historical British setting
    Vera by Elizabeth von Arnim (bell7)
    Vanishing Cornwall by Daphne du Maurier (Z-Ryan)
    The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (DaraBrooke)
    Yes, My Darling Daughter by Margaret Leroy (WildMaggie)
    A sucessora by Carolina Nabuco (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: When Rebecca came out, there were accusations that Daphne du Maurier had plagiarized A sucessora (The Sucessor) by Brazilian author Carolina Nabuco. Read it and decide for yourself.
    The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters (Beezie)

English (298)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (312)
Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.

I decided to re-read Rebecca a couple of months ago, I started the books…and then other books managed to get in the way. But I decided to finish the book a couple of days ago.

I have also must I point out I have seen the movie version, I have also seen three miniseries (Two British and one Italien). So the story wasn't lost in the mist in the brain. But still I enjoyed reading it.

Out nameless narrator (she is never named in the book everyone just calls her Mrs de Winter) meets Maxime de Winter in Monte Carlo, his has tragically lost his wife just a year before. They spend time in each other’s company and he proposes when the time comes for her to leave Monte Carlo with the women she works as a companion. Happily she accepts and after they are married they go on a honeymoon and finally come homes to his estate Manderley. She has a hard time there since she always feels like she is pales in comparison to the beautiful Rebecca, Maxims first wife. What happens next? Well it’s up to you to find out…

Rebecca is a well written book. I just have a lot of problem with the main characters, she is too naïve and shy for my liking and many times I just want her to stop being so insecure. But its part of her charm I suppose that made Maxim fall in love with her. She is quite the opposite to Rebecca. Unfortunately she doesn’t know that until Maxim tells her the truth about his first marriage.

The story is good and it’s easy to see that Daphne du Maurier was quite inspired with Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë when she wrote the book. But even though I enjoyed reading the book again I just didn’t feel myself pulled into the story. It was fun to re-read it but reading this book felt sometimes forced like I will read 50 pages now and then do something else. As I mentioned before the main character just annoyed me so much. That took away some of the joy of reading the book. On the plus side, I loved it towards the end when she finally stood up for herself and didn’t let Mrs Danvers bully her no more.

Review also posted on And Now for Something Completely Different and It's a Mad Mad World ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 11, 2014 |
Maybe if I had read this book 20 years ago, I would have liked it. But I just cannot relate to the main character, and I have no desire to continue this book. I gave it about 100 pages, but the unnamed lead is so spineless and insecure that reading was physically painful and a trial. I just cannot waste my time on characters I care nothing about, and the overwrought language had me rolling my eyes constantly. There are way too many other books calling my name right now. ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
A vivid nightmare. The imagery in Rebecca instantly envelops the reader in a shroud of apprehension. Even the author’s descriptions of the trees and shrubs speak of fear and treachery. She builds the tension so effectively that “when the telephone rang,” I jumped along with the second Mrs. de Winter. Rebecca is haunting, lyrical, sinister and beautifully written with each word chosen for maximum effect. Hitchcock made this book into a film, and it’s easy to see why. It lends itself to Hitchcock quite well. I highly recommend this book for fans of romantic suspense and mysteries. This book also won the Anthony Award for best novel of the century. ( )
1 vote TheLoopyLibrarian | Oct 20, 2014 |
My grandmother died when I was very young. I didn't know much about her. Years later, when my grandfather died and we had to go through their things, I found only two books belonging to my grandmother. Her Bible, and this edition of Rebecca. I had never heard of it, and I wondered what was so good about it to make her keep it all those years. It was completely falling apart, with a string tying it together. Well, maybe it was the photos of Sir Laurence Olivier, but when I read it, I fell in love with the haunting and mesmerizing tale that it is. I like to think that my grandmother found it so as well. I bought a replacement hardcover to read again and again, but I kept the cover and photos which were in this book because of grandma. ( )
  MrsLee | Oct 12, 2014 |
What a trip this novel was! I feel like I can barely talk about it without totally spoiling the book, but about two thirds of the way in everything twists and it becomes a totally different sort of story. Really compelling - I devoured this one in 2 days, unable to put it down. I enjoyed that there were so many disparate-seeming plot threads that all wound up tied together neatly with no loose ends, it was a very satisfying read in that regard. Also, kudos to du Maurier for doing the "bland clumsy awkward heroine" trope without making her narrator terrible and annoying the way many YA leads tend to be - I'm not sure I've seen anyone so successful in that regard! ( )
  okrysmastree | Oct 2, 2014 |

Maurier, Daphne duprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beauman, SallyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Burnett, VirgilCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Massey, AnnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vasara, HelviTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.
'You see,' she said, snapping the top, and walking down the stairs, 'you are so very different from Rebecca.'
We came to Manderley in early May, arriving, so Maxim said, with the first swallows and the bluebells. It would be the best moment, before the full flush of summer, and in the valley the azaleas would be prodigal of scent and the blood-red rhododendrons in bloom.
Forget it, Mrs. de Winter, forget it, as he has done, thank heaven, and the rest of us. We none of us want to bring back the past, Maxim least of all. And it's up to you, you know, to lead us away from it. Not to take us back there again.
Frank knew, but Maxim did not know that he knew. And Frank did not want Maxim to know that he knew. And we all stood there, looking at one another, keeping up these little barriers between us.
If only there could be an invention that bottled up a memory, like scent. And it never faded, and it never got stale. And then, when one wanted it, the bottle could be uncorked, and it would be like living the moment all over again.

"Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again..."

So the second Mrs. Maxim de Winter remembered the chilling events that led her down the turning drive past the beeches, white and naked, to the isolated gray stone manse on the windswept Cornish coast. Working as a lady's companion, she learns her place. Her future looks bleak until, on a trip to the South of France, she meets Max de Winter, a handsome widower whose sudden proprosal of marriage takes her by surprise. She accepts, but whisked from glamorous Monte Carlo to the ominous and brooding Manderley, the new Mrs de Winter finds Max a changed man.

With a husband she barely knew, the young bride arrived at this immense estate, only to be inexorably drawn into the life of the first Mrs. de Winter, the beautiful Rebecca, dead but never forgotten... her suite of rooms never touched, her clothes ready to be worn, her servant -- the sinister Mrs. Danvers -- still loyal. And as an eerie presentiment of evil tightened around her heart, the second Mrs. de Winter began her search for the real fate of Rebecca... for the secrets of Manderley.
Nameless narrator

marries wealthy widower;

haunting Rebecca.

With these words, the reader is ushered into an isolated gray stone mansion on the windswept Cornish coast, as the second Mrs. Maxim de Winter recalls the chilling events that transpired as she began her new life as the young bride of a husband she barely knew. For in every corner of every room were phantoms of a time dead but not forgotten—a past devotedly preserved by the sinister housekeeper, Mrs. Danvers: a suite immaculate and untouched, clothing laid out and ready to be worn, but not by any of the great house's current occupants. With an eerie presentiment of evil tightening her heart, the second Mrs. de Winter walked in the shadow of her mysterious predecessor, determined to uncover the darkest secrets and shattering truths about Maxim's first wife—the late and hauntingly beautiful Rebecca.

This special edition of Rebecca includes excerpts from Daphne du Maurier's The Rebecca Notebook and Other Memories, an essay on the real Manderley, du Maurier's original epilogue to the book, and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:52 -0400)

The second Mrs. Maxim de Winter finds it difficult and frightening to live in the shadow of her predecessor, a situation that is exacerbated by her husband's moodiness, and the presence of sinister housekeeper, Mrs. Danvers.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,381,731 books! | Top bar: Always visible