Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Rebecca (original 1938; edition 2002)

by Daphne du Maurier

13,098384173 (4.22)3 / 1350
Member:JonnySaunders
Title:Rebecca
Authors:Daphne du Maurier
Info:Perfection Learning (2002), Hardcover
Collections:Read, Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:1001 Books

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (Author) (1938)

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (chrisharpe, fannyprice, ladybug74, HollyMS)
    chrisharpe: There are some similarities between these two books: a young woman marries an older widower and moves to his mansion, where the marriage is challenged by the unearthly presence of the first wife.
    fannyprice: These two books reminded me a lot of each other but Rebecca was more modern and somewhat less preachy.
    HollyMS: Since Rebecca was published, observers have noticed that it has parallels to Jane Eyre. Both are dark stories about young women who marry wealthy Englishmen.
    My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier (HollyMS, EllieH)
    HollyMS: Daphne Du Maurier's My Cousin Rachel has a similar theme as Rebecca.
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (citygirl)
    Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier (katie4098)
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (starfishian)
    The Scapegoat by Daphne Du Maurier (lois1)
    Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (kiwiflowa, lahochstetler)
    Lorna Doone by R. D. Blackmore (Sylak)
    Sylak: Another saga set against a hauntingly beautiful landscape - but this time its in Exmoor.
    Thornyhold by Mary Stewart (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Although I believe that du Maurier was the better writer, Thornyhold and many others by Mary Stewart give the same suspenseful feeling.
    We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (teelgee)
    Don't Look Now by Daphne Du Maurier (Z-Ryan, cometahalley)
    Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart (nu-bibliophile)
    The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (DaraBrooke)
    Mistress of Mellyn by Victoria Holt (kraaivrouw, FutureMrsJoshGroban, nu-bibliophile)
    A Sucessora by Carolina Nabuco (HollyMS)
    HollyMS: When Rebecca came out, there were accusations that Daphne du Maurier had plagiarized A sucessora (The Sucessor) by Brazilian author Carolina Nabuco. Read it and decide for yourself.
    Freedom and Necessity by Steven Brust (bjappleg8)
    bjappleg8: first person narrative; ambiguous supernatural elements; slow unravelling of a mystery in a historical British setting
    Yes, My Darling Daughter by Margaret Leroy (WildMaggie)
    Vanishing Cornwall by Daphne du Maurier (Z-Ryan)
    Vera by Elizabeth von Arnim (bell7)
    The Great Impersonation by E. Phillips Oppenheim (chilirlw)

1930s (6)

English (369)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  All (1)  Swedish (1)  All (384)
St. Barts 2017 #3 - A special thrill to finally have read this......i was in the stage version of this many years ago, but had never read the book. In fact, it had been so long, i had forgotten some of the crucial details and was completely captivated by the book. A remarkable piece in that it is entirely about someone who is dead, Rebecca......and told from the point of view of the new Mrs. de Winter.....a person whose name is never revealed. And Mrs. Danvers' character is most memorable, a Nurse Ratchett of the English coast. Certainly this is a romance of sort, not my normal realm, but it definitely has a mysterious edge that is somewhat haunting......I truly loved the book. The only things holding me back from 5 stars, would be a dramatic mid-story scene with the creepy Mrs. Danvers (housekeeper) and Mrs. de Winter that seemed hard to swallow, and that there were no consequences from it entirely implausible.....Also, Max is a bit of a dweeb to be so ridiculously unaware of the torment his new wife was struggling with...... I loved the detailed descriptions of the seaside estate, Manderley, and all of the household goings-on of day-to-day routine. I thought it was a great read......finally! ( )
  jeffome | Jan 13, 2017 |
This started off slowly, but the end was intense with an interesting twist. Made me want to listen again. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Dec 25, 2016 |
You never know the name of the narrator while Rebecca never appears, because she is dead. However, her ghost haunts the story. She haunts the major characters in the story including the narrator, her husband, her lover and her housekeeper. It is not easy to like the narrator, she is so diffident and does such silly things. But she said a number of things I could identify with. Memorable passages on being alone, waiting for a trip and visiting. ( )
  siok | Nov 13, 2016 |
The first 5 pages I could barely get through, but once the story got going, it had my attention. The narrator is a little annoying, but the story is good. I suppose I would recommend it. ( )
  katcoviello | Sep 21, 2016 |
I now understand why this book has become a classic. It is absolutely wonderfully written and completely engaging to the modern reader despite the fact that it was written in 1938. The world building and the character development, to me, was spotless. The audio recording by Anna Massey was brilliant and well executed. I just could not bring myself to turn off the recording once I got to the last hour. I had to finish it no matter what.

As the heroine of this story, the second Mrs. De Winter, recounts the story of her new husband and his late wife, Rebecca, a new world unfolds in front of the readers eyes which is neither expected nor guessed at. The details, at first, begin to unfold as insignificant and almost boring; however, as the story grows more complex, we discover that a mystery is on our hands. Very quickly, I was listening feverishly unable to contain my excitement for the next sentence, the next word..... And all the while, Dephne du Maurier, with her excellent sense of authorship, dragging me along for the ride until the very last sentence and the very last word when the final, and utterly shocking, discovery is made. I actually had to rewind and relisten to the last sentence several times until I believed what I had heard.

I highly recommend this book for everyone. It is a terrific rendition of a Classic Gothic novel - so much so that it won the Anthony Award for Best Novel of the Century.

Happy Reading! ( )
  Bubamdk | Sep 9, 2016 |

Maurier, Daphne duAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beauman, SallyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Burnett, VirgilCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Massey, AnnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stibolt, HelenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vasara, HelviTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.
'You see,' she said, snapping the top, and walking down the stairs, 'you are so very different from Rebecca.'
We came to Manderley in early May, arriving, so Maxim said, with the first swallows and the bluebells. It would be the best moment, before the full flush of summer, and in the valley the azaleas would be prodigal of scent and the blood-red rhododendrons in bloom.
Forget it, Mrs. de Winter, forget it, as he has done, thank heaven, and the rest of us. We none of us want to bring back the past, Maxim least of all. And it's up to you, you know, to lead us away from it. Not to take us back there again.
If only there could be an invention that bottled up a memory, like scent. And it never faded, and it never got stale. And then, when one wanted it, the bottle could be uncorked, and it would be like living the moment all over again.

"Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again..."

So the second Mrs. Maxim de Winter remembered the chilling events that led her down the turning drive past the beeches, white and naked, to the isolated gray stone manse on the windswept Cornish coast. Working as a lady's companion, she learns her place. Her future looks bleak until, on a trip to the South of France, she meets Max de Winter, a handsome widower whose sudden proprosal of marriage takes her by surprise. She accepts, but whisked from glamorous Monte Carlo to the ominous and brooding Manderley, the new Mrs de Winter finds Max a changed man.

With a husband she barely knew, the young bride arrived at this immense estate, only to be inexorably drawn into the life of the first Mrs. de Winter, the beautiful Rebecca, dead but never forgotten... her suite of rooms never touched, her clothes ready to be worn, her servant -- the sinister Mrs. Danvers -- still loyal. And as an eerie presentiment of evil tightened around her heart, the second Mrs. de Winter began her search for the real fate of Rebecca... for the secrets of Manderley.
Nameless narrator

marries wealthy widower;

haunting Rebecca.

With these words, the reader is ushered into an isolated gray stone mansion on the windswept Cornish coast, as the second Mrs. Maxim de Winter recalls the chilling events that transpired as she began her new life as the young bride of a husband she barely knew. For in every corner of every room were phantoms of a time dead but not forgotten—a past devotedly preserved by the sinister housekeeper, Mrs. Danvers: a suite immaculate and untouched, clothing laid out and ready to be worn, but not by any of the great house's current occupants. With an eerie presentiment of evil tightening her heart, the second Mrs. de Winter walked in the shadow of her mysterious predecessor, determined to uncover the darkest secrets and shattering truths about Maxim's first wife—the late and hauntingly beautiful Rebecca.

This special edition of Rebecca includes excerpts from Daphne du Maurier's The Rebecca Notebook and Other Memories, an essay on the real Manderley, du Maurier's original epilogue to the book, and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

The second Mrs. Maxim de Winter finds it difficult and frightening to live in the shadow of her predecessor, a situation that is exacerbated by her husband's moodiness, and the presence of sinister housekeeper, Mrs. Danvers.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,680,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible