Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Rebecca (original 1938; edition 2002)

by Daphne du Maurier

12,559369191 (4.22)3 / 1308
Member:JonnySaunders
Title:Rebecca
Authors:Daphne du Maurier
Info:Perfection Learning (2002), Hardcover
Collections:Read, Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:1001 Books

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (1938)

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (chrisharpe, fannyprice, ladybug74, Hollerama)
    chrisharpe: There are some similarities between these two books: a young woman marries an older widower and moves to his mansion, where the marriage is challenged by the unearthly presence of the first wife.
    fannyprice: These two books reminded me a lot of each other but Rebecca was more modern and somewhat less preachy.
    Hollerama: Since Rebecca was published, observers have noticed that it has parallels to Jane Eyre. Both are dark stories about young women who marry wealthy Englishmen.
    My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier (Hollerama, EllieH)
    Hollerama: Daphne Du Maurier's My Cousin Rachel has a similar theme as Rebecca.
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (citygirl)
    Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier (katie4098)
    The Scapegoat by Daphne du Maurier (lois1)
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (starfishian)
    Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (kiwiflowa, lahochstetler)
    Lorna Doone by R. D. Blackmore (Sylak)
    Sylak: Another saga set against a hauntingly beautiful landscape - but this time its in Exmoor.
    Thornyhold by Mary Stewart (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Although I believe that du Maurier was the better writer, Thornyhold and many others by Mary Stewart give the same suspenseful feeling.
    Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart (nu-bibliophile)
    We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (teelgee)
    Mistress of Mellyn by Victoria Holt (kraaivrouw, FutureMrsJoshGroban, nu-bibliophile)
    Don't Look Now by Daphne du Maurier (Z-Ryan, cometahalley)
    The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (DaraBrooke)
    A sucessora by Carolina Nabuco (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: When Rebecca came out, there were accusations that Daphne du Maurier had plagiarized A sucessora (The Sucessor) by Brazilian author Carolina Nabuco. Read it and decide for yourself.
    Freedom and Necessity by Steven Brust (bjappleg8)
    bjappleg8: first person narrative; ambiguous supernatural elements; slow unravelling of a mystery in a historical British setting
    Vanishing Cornwall by Daphne du Maurier (Z-Ryan)
    Yes, My Darling Daughter by Margaret Leroy (WildMaggie)
    Vera by Elizabeth von Arnim (bell7)
    The Secrets Between Us by Louise Douglas (generalkala)

1930s (6)

English (354)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (368)
Stephen King based much of his novel "Bag of Bones" on this novel, which was written in the 1930s. I was surprised how much I liked it, especially given the fact that its cover makes it seem like a Harlequin Romance Novel. it's not; it's much better. ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
I had seen the Joan Fontaine/Laurence Olivier movie "Rebecca" several times before I finally picked up this book. I have always liked the movie but the relationship between Max and the narrator was always a little baffling. After reading the book, I felt I understook the characters and their relationships so much better. Having seen the movie, I figured I knew the ending of the book, but was pleasantly surprised how much more there was to the story. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
Rebecca is a difficult book for me to review. I loved the writing but didn't particularly love the characters - although the plot grew on me as the book progressed. This is only the 2nd du Maurier book I have read. The first was The Scapegoat, which I read in two sittings and enjoyed immensely. That book featured more intrigue and imminent danger than found here - although Rebecca has, arguably, a more believable plot line. What both books share is du Maurier's talent for creating lush, lavish settings via wonderfully realized first-person narration. The Manderley house and grounds are a separate and intriguing character in their own right. At times, I felt more affinity with the house than I did with its' owner! Speaking of the owner... Maxim de Winter is a rather creepy and aloof fellow. The new Mrs. de Winter was also irritatingly milquetoast at the start, exhibiting an astonishing lack of self-confidence. With time, she did begin to grow a backbone and that perhaps was the thing that finally redeemed this novel for me. When all is said and done, I give it 3.75 stars rounded up to 4 - mostly based on the strength of the writing. ( )
  ScoLgo | Mar 17, 2016 |
This is a great book but I vaguely remember it annoyed me too. Do not ask me why. I should re read than i can answer. I loved this author and read a lot of her books. This was not my favourite I don't think.
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |

Maurier, Daphne duprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beauman, SallyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Burnett, VirgilCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Massey, AnnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stibolt, HelenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vasara, HelviTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.
'You see,' she said, snapping the top, and walking down the stairs, 'you are so very different from Rebecca.'
We came to Manderley in early May, arriving, so Maxim said, with the first swallows and the bluebells. It would be the best moment, before the full flush of summer, and in the valley the azaleas would be prodigal of scent and the blood-red rhododendrons in bloom.
Forget it, Mrs. de Winter, forget it, as he has done, thank heaven, and the rest of us. We none of us want to bring back the past, Maxim least of all. And it's up to you, you know, to lead us away from it. Not to take us back there again.
Frank knew, but Maxim did not know that he knew. And Frank did not want Maxim to know that he knew. And we all stood there, looking at one another, keeping up these little barriers between us.
If only there could be an invention that bottled up a memory, like scent. And it never faded, and it never got stale. And then, when one wanted it, the bottle could be uncorked, and it would be like living the moment all over again.

"Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again..."

So the second Mrs. Maxim de Winter remembered the chilling events that led her down the turning drive past the beeches, white and naked, to the isolated gray stone manse on the windswept Cornish coast. Working as a lady's companion, she learns her place. Her future looks bleak until, on a trip to the South of France, she meets Max de Winter, a handsome widower whose sudden proprosal of marriage takes her by surprise. She accepts, but whisked from glamorous Monte Carlo to the ominous and brooding Manderley, the new Mrs de Winter finds Max a changed man.

With a husband she barely knew, the young bride arrived at this immense estate, only to be inexorably drawn into the life of the first Mrs. de Winter, the beautiful Rebecca, dead but never forgotten... her suite of rooms never touched, her clothes ready to be worn, her servant -- the sinister Mrs. Danvers -- still loyal. And as an eerie presentiment of evil tightened around her heart, the second Mrs. de Winter began her search for the real fate of Rebecca... for the secrets of Manderley.
Nameless narrator

marries wealthy widower;

haunting Rebecca.

With these words, the reader is ushered into an isolated gray stone mansion on the windswept Cornish coast, as the second Mrs. Maxim de Winter recalls the chilling events that transpired as she began her new life as the young bride of a husband she barely knew. For in every corner of every room were phantoms of a time dead but not forgotten—a past devotedly preserved by the sinister housekeeper, Mrs. Danvers: a suite immaculate and untouched, clothing laid out and ready to be worn, but not by any of the great house's current occupants. With an eerie presentiment of evil tightening her heart, the second Mrs. de Winter walked in the shadow of her mysterious predecessor, determined to uncover the darkest secrets and shattering truths about Maxim's first wife—the late and hauntingly beautiful Rebecca.

This special edition of Rebecca includes excerpts from Daphne du Maurier's The Rebecca Notebook and Other Memories, an essay on the real Manderley, du Maurier's original epilogue to the book, and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

The second Mrs. Maxim de Winter finds it difficult and frightening to live in the shadow of her predecessor, a situation that is exacerbated by her husband's moodiness, and the presence of sinister housekeeper, Mrs. Danvers.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,259,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible