Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own…

Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography

by Neil Patrick Harris

Have I read the whole book? I don't think so! Why not you ask me? Well, it's because in this book you will have to pick your own way to get to the end/endings. Which means that I have read the book, jumping around, precisely like the old adventure books my brother had when I was younger. You haven't read an adventure book where you have to pick your own way? Then I feel sorry for you, they are great, I wish I had one of them right now (well if I had one I would probably just cheat to get to the ending). So there is probably parts of the book that I have missed, but that is part of the fun. The next time I pick up the book, I could very well find a hidden gem, that I missed the last time.

Anyway, got sidetracked a bit. This is a great book. I had a lot of fun jumping here and there, reading about NPH life. He's such a great guy. The kind you really, really would love to have as a friend. This is one of the best autobiographies I have read, not only because it is different, but because it's interesting and funny.

I received the book from Blogging for Books in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
My lack of stars for this book is really due to the formatting, which is gimmicky and didn't really work for me. (But I also disliked Choose Your Own Adventure books as a kid too, so maybe it was just a poor fit for me.) I hate second-person narration, (which oddly appears to come in go in this book.)

Neil Patrick Harris seems like a lovely guy who made it through Hollywood relatively unscathed. He appears to have some great stories too -- I have no idea if I read all of the good ones or not, which irked me. I like chronology and attempted to read keep things orderly, but knowing little about Harris except he was on Doogie Howser, in Harold & Kumar and was terrific on How I Met Your Mother, it was hard to know what was chronological in the gaps between those three waypoints. ( )
  amerynth | Mar 22, 2019 |
NPH and Choose Your Own Adventure style story telling?
What's not to like?

I read through one whole scenario today and I can definitely see that it'll be fun to reread other story lines.

It's a very quick read but it's a definite reread too since you have plenty of other scenarios to play out.

The format was fun, the only downside was that I'm not sure I got to hear enough of NPH's life story yet. That being said, with a reread I'm bound to learn more.

Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
Mostly drawn to the novel CYOA format (no pun intended). Turns out, the format makes for a really fun way to dip in and get the highlight reel of someone's life. I wouldn't consider myself a NPH superfan or anything, but he seems like a decent guy who's aged out of any jerkiness that he might have picked up from becoming a celebrity at such a young age.

He obviously loves his husband, kids, and family and unlike other child celebrities that are essentially a flash in the pan find who may not have much discernible talent, NPH is a pretty gifted dude on several fronts.

All in all, it's an unexpected decent celebrity memoir packaged in a fresh and fun way. ( )
  angiestahl | Dec 19, 2018 |
I'm pretty sure this is the only autobiography in history written in the style of a Choose Your Own Adventure story. And Neil Patrick Harris really commits to the format, complete with alternate endings in which he drowns in quicksand or something. Or you do, because the whole thing is in second person, which I found surprisingly easy to just go with. But then, like NPH, I grew up with Choose Your Own Adventure books and have immense nostalgic fondness for them. So I found the format fun. Of course, there is one difference between this and an actual Choose Your Own Adventure book, which is that (goofy bad endings notwithstanding), the "choices" aren't really choices about how the story is going to go -- since, one way or another, it's just the real events of this one guy's life. Instead, they're mostly choices about which bit of his life you want to read about next, with the result that you end up jumping back and forth in time a lot and getting things all out of order. And, entertaining as I found the gimmick, there were times when I really wished for a little more linearity.

Gimmick aside, it's a pleasant read as celebrity memoirs go. Harris talks about his personal life with lots of cute, warm gushing about his husband and kids, and about his career with the requisite amount of name-dropping but not too much catty gossip. The tone is breezy and light and relentlessly, amiably humorous, and the reader's "choices" often lead to odd little asides featuring things like cocktail recipes or card tricks. If it were done in a more conventional format, I'm sure it would be a lot less memorable, but still likable enough.

(Side note: As it happens, I know someone who attended high school with Neil Patrick Harris. She told me once that he was a bit of a dick back then, but in retrospect she thought it was understandable, given the pressures of being that famous that young. I was a bit curious as to whether this volume would reinforce or refute that assertion, but it didn't really do either one. Which, fair enough. If I were writing an autobiography, I don't think I'd want to spend much time dwelling on what people thought of me in high school, either.) ( )
  bragan | Nov 4, 2018 |
added by gsc55 | editReviews by Amos Lassen (Oct 16, 2014)

Meinen allerersten Job hatte ich in einem Buchladen. Dort habe ich die Kinderbuchreihe "1000 Gefahren: Du entscheidest selbst!" entdeckt.

Tired of memoirs that only tell you what really happened?
Sick of deeply personal accounts written in the first person? Seeking an exciting, interactive read that puts the “u” back in “aUtobiography”? Then look no further than Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography! In this revolutionary, Joycean experiment in light celebrity narrative, actor/personality/carbon-based life-form Neil Patrick Harris lets you, the reader, live his life. You will be born in New Mexico. You will get your big break at an acting camp. You will get into a bizarre confrontation outside a nightclub with actor Scott Caan. Even better, at each critical juncture of your life you will choose how to proceed. You will decide whether to try out for Doogie Howser, M.D. You will decide whether to spend years struggling with your sexuality. You will decide what kind of caviar you want to eat on board Elton John’s yacht.

Choose correctly and you’ll find fame, fortune, and true love. Choose incorrectly and you’ll find misery, heartbreak, and a guest stint on Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew. All this, plus magic tricks, cocktail recipes, embarrassing pictures from your time as a child actor, and even a closing song. Yes, if you buy one book this year, congratulations on being above the American average, but make that book Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:03 -0400)

The Emmy Award-winning star of How I Met Your Mother shares his experiences as a child star, Broadway performer and father in an over-the-top, humorous account creatively designed in the style of the popular interactive adventure series.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,804,897 books! | Top bar: Always visible