Leroy Ninker Saddles Up by Kate DiCamillo

Leroy Ninker Saddles Up

by Kate DiCamillo

Other authors: Chris Van Dusen (Illustrator)

Series: Tales from Deckawoo Drive (1)

Leroy Ninker wants to be a cowboy. It’s his life dream. A cowboy needs a horse. So he finds an add in the paper for a good horse. Upon seeing the horse, he bonds with it and ultimately taking the quirky little horse home. Events happen and the horse is frightened away, but it’s ok in the end as they reunite again.Leroy is a character from the Mercy Watson books.The book was not quite as fun as Mercy Watson, but there is still a lot of charm in the pages. ( )
  noorkazmi | Mar 28, 2019 |
I never miss the chance to read new books as they come out from Kate DiCamillo. I have loved her stories and story telling ever since I read and saw Because of Winn Dixie.

This is a sweet story of a little man who wanted to become a cowboy after seeing so many cowboy movies and the horse, Maybelline that he buys in order to become a real cowboy.

Lovely story ! ( )
  REINADECOPIAYPEGA | Jan 11, 2018 |
Summary:Leroy Ninker is a little wanna be cowboy working at the drive-in movie theater. All he has to do is get himself a horse so he can be a real cowboy. He's told to check out the horse's teeth and hooves before he makes a commitment. Enter Maybelline. She has 4 teeth, and she does have hooves. She's old and is particular to how she likes people talking to her. She also doesn't like to be left alone...ever. Leroy knows how to sweet talk Maybelline. After all he's seen plenty of sappy movies to know how to woo a girl. He sweet talks Maybelline, but makes the mistake of leaving her alone just as a loud and thunderous storm moves in. Maybelline talkes off, terrified. Will Leroy find his beloved horse. A man ain't a true cowboy without his horse.
Personal Response:This book was cute and characteristically "Kate Dicamillo" with really nice character development. My problem with this book was the ending (hence the three star reviews). The story is moving along at a pleasant clip-clop, when all of a sudden we find ourselves on Deckawoo Drive where Mercy Watson, the pig from another of Dicamillo's books resides. If you have no knowledge of that other series of books, the ending seems rushed, and actually quite absurd. Other than that, I love Leroy Ninker as the main character. He is a sweet talking little cowboy who knows how woo his new horse Maybelline.
Curriculum Connections:This is a great book to introduce second and third grade readers to "good-fit" books in the library. Near the beginning of the year we talk a lot about making good choices for ourselves (not our friends) when we are out at the bookshelves. We should take time to look at the cover, read the inside or back cover, and read a page or two to determine if we can read it without too many mistakes, and we can read with understanding. I pull a variety of books and model this type of thinking for the kids as we review various types of "good-fit" books. This will definitely be a book that I will be pulling from the shelves next year to include in our discussion. I know that kids will love the cowboy theme of this book, as we are the "Cowboy" state of Wyoming. ( )
  rjrubylou | Feb 7, 2017 |
Short of stature, Leroy Ninker, sells concessions at the local drive- in theater. Whenever he sees a cowboy movie, all he can think about is being a real cowboy. After all, he has a hat, boots and a lasso. His co- worker Beatrice points out one day that he is missing something vital to being a cowboy; a horse. Now Leroy feels even less like a cowboy. After reading an ad in the newspaper about a horse for sale, Leroy walls to the address, hoping he has enough money to buy the horse he plans to name Tornado. Well, the horse is a bit old and saggy, with only four teeth, but this is good enough for Leroy Ninker. When he gets back to his apartment Maybelline, the horses' real and more fitting name, won't fit through the door. Also he doesn't know what a horse eats. In the end of this sweet, funny little novel, Maybelline and Leroy become best friends. There is a big surprise at the end of the book you won't want to miss. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
If you read it out loud, make sure to put on voices for extra listing pleasure. ( )
  jwyss | Oct 15, 2016 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dusen, Chris VanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Yippie-i-oh! Saddle up for the first in a spin-off series starring favorite characters from Kate DiCamillo’s New York Times best-selling Mercy Watson books.

Leroy Ninker has a hat, a lasso, and boots. What he doesn’t have is a horse — until he meets Maybelline, that is, and then it’s love at first sight. Maybelline loves spaghetti and sweet nothings, and she loves Leroy, too. But when Leroy forgets the third and final rule of caring for Maybelline, disaster ensues. Can Leroy wrestle fate to the ground, rescue the horse of his heart, and lasso loneliness for good? Join Leroy, Maybelline, and a cast of familiar characters — Stella, Frank, Mrs. Watson, and everyone’s favorite porcine wonder, Mercy — for some hilarious and heartfelt horsing around on Deckawoo Drive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:57 -0400)

Yippie-i-oh! Saddle up for the first in a spin-off series starring favorite characters from Kate DiCamillo's New York Times best-selling Mercy Watson books. Leroy Ninker has a hat, a lasso, and boots. What he doesn't have is a horse--until he meets Maybelline, that is, and then it's love at first sight. Maybelline loves spaghetti and sweet nothings, and she loves Leroy, too. But when Leroy forgets the third and final rule of caring for Maybelline, disaster ensues. Can Leroy wrestle fate to the ground, rescue the horse of his heart, and lasso loneliness for good? Join Leroy, Maybelline, and a cast of familiar characters--Stella, Frank, Mrs. Watson, and everyone's favorite porcine wonder, Mercy--for some hilarious and heartfelt horsing around on Deckawoo Drive.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,867,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible