Velvet, Volume 1: Before the Living End by…

Velvet, Volume 1: Before the Living End

by Ed Brubaker, Elizabeth Breitweiser (Illustrator), Steve Epting (Illustrator)

Series: Velvet (1)

This was an amazing tale! Sharp, with enough twist to keep it riveting without getting muddy... no "Wait... what??" moments of confusion. And the time frame... classic for this kind of story.
Thanks to JB for recommending this to me - yes, V is the bomb, and I love the costuming!

Run to your library to local indie comic store and get this NOW! ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
Wow, really enjoyed this one~ feels like something I would watch on the big screen. Or rather it's the graphic novel equivalent of a fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes? Woot! ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
Went in blind and presently surprised. Twists and turns on the traditional spy story with a great sense of place and fantastic art. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
What if James Bond were a woman?
7:16 pm 9 October 2016
Velvet, Vol. 1: Before the Living End - Bettie Breitweiser, Ed Brubaker, Steve Epting
What if she'd been shuttered off, to be the assistant to the big boss? Well, you'd have Velvet. Out of practice, but then again she has an advantage: no one realizes just how capable she is.

When one of the agents she'd slept with - and she apparently slept around like Bond did - is killed, she refuses to believe that the man who killed him was a double agent. Even though the dead agent is her favorite, she apparently has a tie to man being framed for his murder.

It only gets more complicated when she's framed for murdering the man who apparently assassinated the first agent. It becomes a race to clear both their names and find out what was really behind the death. Double agents, smuggles and spies galore in this slick noir that places a woman at the forefront of the action.

I also genuinely like Velvet: she believes in what she's doing, and is brutally honest about herself and the world. She's determined and capable and I found myself liking her more and more the more I read.

I got this as part of a Humble Bundle and plan on clearing out some of those graphic novels to make more room on my computer for my latest acquisitions before I buy more of this series, or track it down at the library.
Graphic Novel Image Comics Humble Bundle read in 2016 ( )
  All_Hail_Grimlock | Dec 13, 2016 |

Ed Brubakerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Breitweiser, ElizabethIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Epting, SteveIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

When the world's greatest secret agent is killed, all evidence points to Velvet Templeton, the personal secretary to the Director of the Agency. But Velvet has a dark secret buried in her past...a secret that's about to tear her whole world apart.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,964,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible