The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

The Girl on the Train

by Paula Hawkins

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (fannyprice)
    fannyprice: Similarly unreliable, damaged women trying to reconstruct their lives.
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (Anonymous user)
    Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes (melissarochelle)
    No Night is Too Long by Barbara Vine (vwinsloe)
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (James_Mourgos)
    James_Mourgos: Great murder mystery suspense from this famous Swedish author.
    The Earthquake Bird by Susanna Jones (SonjaA)
    The Woman in the Window by A. J. Finn (TAir)
    The Widow by Fiona Barton (vancouverdeb)
    vancouverdeb: psychological suspense,various points of view, both feature a woman as the main character.
    Losing You by Nicci French (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A beloved teenage daughter goes missing in Losing You, a stranger (of sorts) in The Girl on the Train. Despite this difference, these compelling psychological suspense novels, each set in England, offer a gripping, twisty story.
    In Fidelity by M. J. Rose (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, love, obsession, infidelity, and violence are all closely linked. Both centering around one woman, In Fidelity has a larger cast of characters (a family), while The Girl on the Train suffers alone.… (more)
    The Missing World by Margot Livesey (vwinsloe)

English (790)  Dutch (12)  Spanish (9)  Italian (7)  Catalan (5)  French (4)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Indonesian (1)  All languages (832)
It is the debut novel by author Paula Hawkins .The story revolves around the lives of three women: Rachel, Anna and Megan.
The protagonist, Rachel, is in her early 30s and she is Jobless•Homeless •Alcoholic•Divorced. Even after being jobless, she takes the 8:04 train to the city everyday. The train stops at same signal, from where she can see the house of a couple in her old neighbourhood. She idealises this couple (christened as Jess and Jason) and imagines their life. Her fantasy goes haywire when Jess goes missing.

“To have my hopes raised and dashed again, it’s like cold steel twisting inside my gut”.
~ Paula Hawkins, The girl on the train.

That’s what I felt while reading the first few chapters of the book. If you are someone who likes fast paced novels then you will need a lot of patience to read this as it will pickup the pace only after you are halfway through the book. In the beginning, it will be a bit confusing too and will have to go back to previous pages but once into the book, it will be simply irresistible. The first person narration by the three female characters and their multiple view points on the same scenario makes it quite interesting. The plot is intelligently written with lots of twists and an end that is totally unpredictable. ( )
  Bibliophilic_Soul | Dec 4, 2018 |
I'm not sure i would compare this to Gone Girl the way it often is, but i enjoyed it and it was a quick read. ( )
  distantiation | Dec 3, 2018 |
I am possibly the last person in the world to have read this book. Then I saw it on Overdrive from my local library and thought I should see what all the hype was about. I am not sure that I exactly enjoyed this book but I felt compelled to keep on turning the pages.
As is often the case, this book didn't quite live up to the hype. But it was an easy, fast-paced read and I did feel driven get to the end and find if my suspicions were correct (they were). The mystery is more interesting than the characters though.

For the full review check out my blog: Engrossed in a Good Book ( )
  CharlotteBurt | Nov 24, 2018 |
Mixed feels. I am a bucket of mixed feels lately. I listened to this on audio, because that's my new thing but also, because it won the Audie for Audibook of the Year. The audiobook was great! I actually think I might have put the book down if not for such great voice acting. I hated all the characters, save one who was kind of redeemed at the end, but I was supposed to. It opens up a great discussion topic of whether or not you can enjoy a story without liking any of the characters. I didn't see the twist coming but I don't read thrillers and I am sure those that do likely guessed it. I think, for me, it was just a little too f@#ked up for me to really enjoy- but I was completely absorbed from the very beginning, so there is that. Not really sure who I'd recommend it to, honestly. ( )
  EliseLaForge | Nov 20, 2018 |
Took about 30 pages to really get into the story, but once I was in it...I was IN IT. This story was insane and kept me guessing. A must read if you like murder mysteries! ( )
  erthom02 | Nov 20, 2018 |
"...a building, inescapable tension that Hawkins handles superbly, nibbling away at Rachel’s memories until we, like our sardonic, bitterly honest narrator, aren’t really sure we want to know what happened at all."
added by fannyprice | editThe Guardian, Alison Flood (Jan 19, 2015)

“The Girl on the Train” has more fun with unreliable narration than any chiller since “Gone Girl,” the book still entrenched on best-seller lists two and a half years after publication because nothing better has come along. “The Girl on the Train” has “Gone Girl”-type fun with unreliable spouses, too. Its author, Paula Hawkins, isn’t as clever or swift as Gillian Flynn, the author of “Gone Girl,” but she’s no slouch when it comes to trickery or malice. So “The Girl on the Train” is liable to draw a large, bedazzled readership too
added by rybie2 | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Jan 4, 2015)

Readers sometimes conflate the “likability” of characters with a compulsion to care about their fate, but with a protagonist so determined to behave illogically, self-destructively and frankly narcissistically (someone even refers to her as “Nancy Drew”), it’s tough to root for Rachel. She’s like the clueless heroine of a slasher film who opts to enter the decrepit, boarded-up house where all her friends have been murdered because she hears a mysterious sound through an upstairs window

Hawkins, Paulaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fisher, IndiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kate
She's buried beneath a silver birch tree down towards the old train tracks.
The holes in your life are permanent. You have to grow around them, like tree roots around concrete; you mould yourself through the gaps.
All those plans I had—photography courses and cookery classes—when it comes down to it, they feel a bit pointless, as if I'm playing at real life instead of actually living it. I can't do this, I can't just be a wife. I don't understand how anyone does it—there is literally nothing to do but wait. Wait for a man to come home and love you. Either that or look around for something to distract you.
...let's be honest: women are still only valued for two things—their looks, and their role as mothers.

Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. “Jess and Jason,” she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel offers what she knows to the police, and becomes inextricably entwined in what happens next, as well as in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?
Fall-down drunk rides trains.
Witnesses murder? Maybe.
Needs to sober up.
(pickupsticks)

After witnessing something shocking, Rachel offers what she knows to the police, and becomes inextricably entwined in what happens next, as well as in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Paula Hawkins's book The Girl on the Train was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,675,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible