The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

The Girl on the Train (edition 2015)

by Paula Hawkins (Author)

Member:waida
Title:The Girl on the Train
Authors:Paula Hawkins (Author)
Info:Riverhead Books (2015), 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading

The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (fannyprice)
    fannyprice: Similarly unreliable, damaged women trying to reconstruct their lives.
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (Anonymous user)
    Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes (melissarochelle)
    No Night is Too Long by Barbara Vine (vwinsloe)
    The Missing World by Margot Livesey (vwinsloe)
    Losing You by Nicci French (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A beloved teenage daughter goes missing in Losing You, a stranger (of sorts) in The Girl on the Train. Despite this difference, these compelling psychological suspense novels, each set in England, offer a gripping, twisty story.
    In Fidelity by M. J. Rose (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, love, obsession, infidelity, and violence are all closely linked. Both centering around one woman, In Fidelity has a larger cast of characters (a family), while The Girl on the Train suffers alone.… (more)
    The Widow by Fiona Barton (vancouverdeb)
    vancouverdeb: psychological suspense,various points of view, both feature a woman as the main character.

English (618)  Dutch (11)  Spanish (8)  Catalan (4)  French (4)  Italian (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Indonesian (1)  All (652)
not for me.
  shaunesay | Jun 21, 2017 |
I want to say nice things about this because so many people have. But I have to be honest I think sometimes hype can really spoil things for me. Lol.

I just deleted a few lines of ranting about too much alcohol and cardboard cutout males props.

Ok. I did like the way the timeline shifted around - that was a nice bit of plot devising.

And I do like the trains and train rides.

Sigh.

The thing about hype is sometimes it makes you want to see what it is all about (duh) - and... I just didn't.

May have possibly enjoyed this more if I had picked it up at random to read.

Also, I may have mixed it up slightly in my head with Monica Bryne's "The Girl in the Road" due to the similar titles and vaguely same position on the books-released-timeline-in-my-head so my muddled up expectations can be blamed for the less than stellar reading experience.

And the book got made into a movie - so what do I know? It was a fast read anyhow and I did finish it. Haha.

Source: Borrowed from the library - I saw it on the shelves - didn't specifically look for it.
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
Was it excellent and future bearer of a "classic literature tome" status? No. Was it a great read? Absolutely. Just the right length and quality to tell the story.

This is well worth the time spent.

With that said, this novel is a crisp representation of how I believe it would be to satisfactorily shave one's groin while drunk. It was hot outside, you were feeling unnaturally carpet like, and ultimately it seemed like a grand idea; but afterwards? Give it a couple days. When the razor burn and scabs have healed a bit, you may find it was not brilliant or executed gracefully, but you are still missing the 70's shag and do not appear to have bled out. Win/lose is still a win.

The contents detail a woman (not a girl) who drunkenly rides the train between her work and home daily. On this ride and her many side quests to slay her personal dragons, (divorce, physically barren, and drunken blackouts). She involves herself in a murder investigation and proceeds to actively disrupt the life of her ex-husband who lives in the same street as the victim did.

It is all downhill from here. Some things were predictable, others not. Definitely worth reading. I can see why this was an instant book club pick.

Takeaways:

Life is not clean. People have problems and they are always more complex than the surface indicates.
People with complex problems might become drunken bloody messes and not be successful at simple tasks like living.
I feel a bit sad that you can purchase Gin and Tonic in a can over seas but not to my knowledge where i live. ( )
  JasonBrownPDX | Jun 16, 2017 |
Rachel is depressed and is an alcoholic. She has been divorced for a while now, but is having trouble letting go of her ex-husband. She rides the train to and from London every day and passes a house where she watches a couple who lives there. She has fantasized a wonderful life for “Jess” and “Jason”, but it’s not long before “Jess” disappears, and Rachel finds that their lives were not so wonderful while she tries to help figure out what happened to “Jess”.

The book is told from three different points of view: Rachel, Megan (aka Jess), and Anna (Rachel’s ex’s new wife).

I really enjoyed this. I got pulled in early on and was kept entertained. It was quick to read, but possibly because I wanted to keep going. I didn’t figure out the end ahead of time. The suspense did ramp up for me at the very end. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jun 16, 2017 |
I have to admit that I got a little confused at times as the dates jumped around a bit so I had to really pay attention to them. This is one of those rare books that keeps you on edge and guessing the whole time. The story is about a young woman, Rachel, who has lost everything, husband, home, life, due to her alcohol addiction. It's so bad that she frequently blacks out and doesn't remember things quite well. She takes a train every morning to convince her roommate she is still working and starts to fantasize about the lives of the people that live in the houses she passes on the train. One in particular. That just so happens to live down the road from her ex husband and mistress turned wife. She sees this lovely couple alot of mornings and imagine what their jobs are and their daily routine. She's even given them names, Jess and Jason. One morning she sees Jess kissing a man outside her home that is not Jason. Then she discovers that Jess, who is actually Megan, has gone missing and her husband, who is actually Scott, is prime suspect. She has a keep piece of evidence by what she saw and she lies to Scott about knowing Megan in order for him to believe her so she can help find Megan and her abductor. No one believes the insane drunk thanks to Rachel's ex husband's wife, Anne. She has told police about Rachel's drinking and harassing behavior and she is quickly dismissed as a reliable witness. But then Rachel shows down on her drinking and starts to regain memory of what happened the night Megan went missing. She has to remember. And she has to make things right. ( )
  hbdomin13 | Jun 10, 2017 |
"...a building, inescapable tension that Hawkins handles superbly, nibbling away at Rachel’s memories until we, like our sardonic, bitterly honest narrator, aren’t really sure we want to know what happened at all."
added by fannyprice | editThe Guardian, Alison Flood (Jan 19, 2015)

“The Girl on the Train” has more fun with unreliable narration than any chiller since “Gone Girl,” the book still entrenched on best-seller lists two and a half years after publication because nothing better has come along. “The Girl on the Train” has “Gone Girl”-type fun with unreliable spouses, too. Its author, Paula Hawkins, isn’t as clever or swift as Gillian Flynn, the author of “Gone Girl,” but she’s no slouch when it comes to trickery or malice. So “The Girl on the Train” is liable to draw a large, bedazzled readership too
added by ozzer | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Jan 4, 2015)

Hawkins, Paulaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fisher, IndiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kate
She's buried beneath a silver birch tree down towards the old train tracks.
The holes in your life are permanent. You have to grow around them, like tree roots around concrete; you mould yourself through the gaps.
All those plans I had—photography courses and cookery classes—when it comes down to it, they feel a bit pointless, as if I'm playing at real life instead of actually living it. I can't do this, I can't just be a wife. I don't understand how anyone does it—there is literally nothing to do but wait. Wait for a man to come home and love you. Either that or look around for something to distract you.
...let's be honest: women are still only valued for two things—their looks, and their role as mothers.

Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. “Jess and Jason,” she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel offers what she knows to the police, and becomes inextricably entwined in what happens next, as well as in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?
Fall-down drunk rides trains.
Witnesses murder? Maybe.
Needs to sober up.
(pickupsticks)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Paul A. Hawkins's book The Girl on the Train was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,044,352 books! | Top bar: Always visible