The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler

The Long Goodbye (1953)

by Raymond Chandler

Series: Philip Marlowe (6)

3,664751,437 (4.17)1 / 154

English (72)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All (75)
The best of Chandler's Marlowe novels. ( )
  dasam | Jul 25, 2017 |
I keep visiting the classic genre novels and never seem to find myself loving them. This would be the third, possibly fourth, Chandler novel I've read and each time I've been disappointed. I see why they are classics, the origins of so many tropes, tones, and styles are on the page, but I guess I prefer the novels these have influenced. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
The hard-boiled detective solving crimes genre is not one I typically read, but I thought Raymond Chandler's novel "The Long Goodbye" was a good read.

Philip Marlowe becomes embroiled in a mystery after befriending a drunk who turns up in his favorite haunts from time to time -- the drunk disappears and is accused of a crime. A somewhat convoluted story proceeds from there.

Solving the mystery wasn't super difficult but I found the characters to be interesting enough to carry the story along nicely. I haven't read anything else by Chandler at this point, but would read another if I was in the mood for this type of book. ( )
  amerynth | Jun 16, 2017 |
The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler was the sixth novel to feature his private detective, Philip Marlowe. Many believe that this, his longest and most ambitious book, is also the one that is the most auto-biographical. There are two characters that appear in this story that many believe are a mashup of the author himself who led a troubled life and was known to have a fondness for alcohol that often lead to binge drinking.

Although known for his straight forward plots, The Long Goodbye is a complicated and, at times, rather convoluted read. And while I didn’t like it as well as I did The Big Sleep, many critics consider this his finest work. His main character, Marlowe is a fascinating and complex character being a fast-talking, cynical tough guy who has a marshmallow centre for the underdogs in life. With it’s strong atmosphere, crisp dialogue and superb writing, this LA noir whodunit has been elevated far beyond the typical hard boiled genre.

It’s hard to separate the author Raymond Chandler from his work, and knowing that he wrote this book during a time of despair in his own life as his wife was dying, allows us to understand why his main character has a deep simmering anger that runs just under the surface but appears to break out every now and again. The Long Goodbye is a stylish noir with many plot twists, lots of attitude and a thread of bitterness at the corrupt society that Marlowe must navigate through. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | May 9, 2017 |
I know that the Spenser that I just read and enjoyed owes a great deal to these noir hard-boiled detective novels but I just don't seem to enjoy them as much. I had trouble keeping the thread of this and it seemed to take forever to get nowhere in particular. I think I should have been suprised by all the twists and turns but mostly I just kept loosing track of who was who. Not a very satisfying read.
  amyem58 | Apr 2, 2017 |

Oddera, BrunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Papp, ZoltánTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robillot, HenriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wollschläger, HansTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first time I laid eyes on Terry Lennox he was drunk in a Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith outside the terrace of The Dancers.

Marlowe befriends a down on his luck war veteran with the scars to prove it. Then he finds out that Terry Lennox has a very wealthy nymphomaniac wife, who he's divorced and re-married and who ends up dead. and now Lennox is on the lam and the cops and a crazy gangster are after Marlowe.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:22 -0400)

Marlowe befriends a down on his luck war veteran with the scars to prove it. Then he finds out that Terry Lennox has a very wealthy nymphomaniac wife, who he's divorced and re-married and who ends up dead, and now Lennox is on the lam and the cops and a crazy gangster are after Marlowe.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,043,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible