The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler

The Long Goodbye (1953)

by Raymond Chandler

Series: Philip Marlowe (6)

3,856831,898 (4.17)1 / 168

English (79)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (83)
I thought I had already read this so when I got my dad's paperback copy, I didn't read it right away. Well, it turns out I hadn't read it & now I am sorry I let it sit on the shelf so long! Chandler managed to surprise me with twists right up to the end. And unlike some of his earlier works, there was very little objectionable language (i.e. little to no racial slurs, etc.). ( )
  leslie.98 | Dec 14, 2017 |
I had high expectations of the book since its rating is higher than The Big Sleep and it appears on quite a number of best book lists. But it was a little underwhelming. Nevertheless, it was still an interesting read with Philip Marlowe a one-of-a-kind private investigator. Raymond Chandler has created a winner in Marlowe - a smart investigator with a heart. ( )
  siok | Dec 9, 2017 |
Though it is lauded as Chandler's masterpiece, The Long Goodbye was my least favourite Philip Marlowe book yet. It is a long book by any standards – and particularly for a crime novel – but Chandler doesn't really use the extra space for anything different. Characters are well-drawn and there are some great scenes, but there's also a lot of minutiae – how many lamps are in a given room, for example; something I noted in my review of the first Marlowe book, The Big Sleep. I guess I just expected Chandler – with his reputed masterpiece – to reach for something higher and, aside from some social criticism which is nothing especially profound, he doesn't really do it. It's just a standard Marlowe case drawn out to feature-length.

The plot is clearer than in previous books but still a bit hard to follow at times and, objectively, less interesting than the crimes of, say, The Lady in the Lake or The Little Sister. The start was a bit too convenient, with Marlowe getting tied up with Terry Lennox too quickly and without any real motivation, and the ending was also a bit lame. In between, there's plenty of good stuff – Chandler is always great for character and scene – but it is surprisingly low on the dynamite prose and trademark similes that can usually sustain you in a Chandler novel when the plot is looking a bit leggy.

The book is Chandler's most personal work: his wife was ill and she died the year after its publication, and one can see the author's anxieties and miseries bleeding through into the characters he creates. He leaves a lot of himself in The Long Goodbye, which makes it interesting and I can see why Chandler was fond of it, but it also creates an aura of frustration that might serve as his epitaph: he was looking for something and didn't really know what it was and though he tried, sadly I don't think he ever found it. ( )
  MikeFutcher | Nov 29, 2017 |
If you enjoy a noir mystery with action, complex characters, a little philosophy and a surprising plot, you owe it yourself to read Raymond Chandler.
"The Long Goodbye" is the story of Philip Marlowe making a bar friend of a man married to a rich family. Along the way, there are three murders, a power broker, mobsters, hard boiled detectives, women and, of course, Marlowe.
The story keeps moving. The action is believable. Something books today don't seem to have.
This book kept me up for two nights in a row. I am looking forward to my next Chandler read. ( )
  dh-writer | Sep 12, 2017 |
Why were Bogart, Bacall and Greenstreet in the movie? I heard their voices doing the dialog in my head. A classic of the genre. ( )
  zenhead | Aug 24, 2017 |

Oddera, BrunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Papp, ZoltánTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robillot, HenriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wollschläger, HansTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first time I laid eyes on Terry Lennox he was drunk in a Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith outside the terrace of The Dancers.

Marlowe befriends a down on his luck war veteran with the scars to prove it. Then he finds out that Terry Lennox has a very wealthy nymphomaniac wife, who he's divorced and re-married and who ends up dead. and now Lennox is on the lam and the cops and a crazy gangster are after Marlowe.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:22 -0400)

Trouble is Philip Marlowe's business. A young drunk slides from under the driving-wheel of a silver wraith, into his arms. His hair's white, his face scared, and he's called Terry Lennox. Soon, Marlowe's thigh-high in a murder case, cooling his heels in the felony tank.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,812,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible