Uprooted by Naomi Novik

Info:Del Rey (2015), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 448 pages
Collections:Audio, SFF, Recently Read, Read, Read but unowned
Tags:audio, Library Book, 2017CC

Uprooted by Naomi Novik

The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For similar moods of utter desperation.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (cransell)
    cransell: Both excellent YA fantasy with strong female characters and great world building.
    Angela Carter's Book of Fairy Tales by Angela Carter (nessreader)
    Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley (evymac)
    evymac: Fairy tale-like read with great characters and an enchanting plot.
    Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente (Euryale)
    Od Magic by Patricia A. McKillip (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Because the dang kings keep getting in the way of important magical work.
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (carriehh)
    In the Night Garden by Catherynne M. Valente (Rubbah)
    Rubbah: Boh draw inspiration from varied stories and are unique full length fairytales in their own right. Great for lovers of folklore and fey.
    The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic by Emily Croy Barker (Marissa_Doyle)
    Marissa_Doyle: Different settings, but both share excellent worldbuilding and an older, emotionally wounded wizard training a young woman apprentice in magic.

English (162)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All (166)
A young, rather clumsy but spirited girl caught up in a battle vs. Ancient, Powerful, Nature-gone-wrong-because-of-the-corrupted-hearts-of-humans Magic is a familiar theme, but darned if I can name a specific book/movie right now. I think it's very Miyazaki/Ghibli. And that film Children Who Chase Lost Voices.

So many deaths. This at least has a more hopeful ending for the girl and her wizard than with Robin McKinley's Aerin and Luthe.

mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
FINALLY FINISHED! I can't believe it took a month for me to get through it but between finals and traveling back and forth, I can see why it took so long.

So yes, one of the most recommended books of this waning year and I... did not like it that much. It was incredibly underwhelming.

For one, it is horribly meandering. I think this book could've been way more entertaining and less excruciating in its pace if they had cut 150 pages. There was just so many needless descriptions that I got bored more than once. I found myself dropping the book for some other activity way too often.

In the end, was the story worth it? I don't think so. The pacing was absolute shit. Many things weren't explained. I kept saying "what the fuck?" to the book, half-expecting it would listen and explain itself. It didn't. It just kept dragging on and making little sense. I did enjoy the spell casting, though.

The Wood was a formidable villain. The Dragon was an asshole. The heroine with a name I cannot spell was insufferable more often than not. I kept wishing Kasia, her BFF, was the heroine. There were a lot of deaths in this book but I didn't mourn a single one. In fact, I didn't really connect to any of the characters. Characterization was just that hollow.

The romance was appalling and completely unnecessary. There was no chemistry. Every single time the narration hinted at them being a couple, I cringed. Same goes for the sex scene. I would've preferred that they had become friends, anything but lovers. Sarkan aka the Dragon needs to learn how to be a human. ( )
  lapiccolina | Jun 23, 2017 |
Very imaginative and engaging story. I had a lot of fun reading this. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
I did really enjoy this book, although it wasn't perfect. I'm generally inclined towards the kind of magic that you can feel, and I like books that offer a rich history to their conflicts. I could never guess where the plot was going, and Novik kept unveiling new layers. Even with a slightly happy-go-lucky ending, I appreciated that there wasn't an instantaneous fix to all the world's problems, and that it wasn't just a bad-guys-are-bad sort of conflict.

My complaints are that it didn't go quite deep enough for me, although I don't fault it too much for that (I don't expect every novel to have LotR's depth of history). And the writing wasn't particularly phenomenal. The plot definitely drew me in, just the writing left me a little unsatisfied. ( )
  mayhplumb | Jun 15, 2017 |
Girl meets Dragon. No, not that kind of dragon. This one is a magical fellow who regularly carts off a young girl from a nearby village to keep her in his tower for ten years, and then releases her.

Only this time the girl turns out to have magic of her own. As such, she draws the attention of the sinister Wood, which has been trying its best to kill any human it can get its hands on.

The dragon and the girl end up fighting off the Wood, and some folks who seem to have been taken over by the Wood.

Interesting set up, the Wood is suitably sinister, the Dragon suitably opaque and threatening in his own way.

The story takes quite a few twists and turns along the way and what appears to be happening is not at all what it seems.

I enjoyed it very much! ( )
  majkia | Jun 13, 2017 |

Naomi Novikprimary authorall editionscalculated
McKowen, ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, David G.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zucker, Christopher M.Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Our Dragon doesn't eat the girls he takes, no matter what stories they tell outside the valley.

Agnieszka helps
the Dragon battle the dark
power of the Wood.
(passion4reading)

Naomi Novik is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,234,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible