dismiss

Eleanor by Jason Gurley

Eleanor (edition 2014)

by Jason Gurley (Author)

"Eleanor and Esmerelda are identical twins with a secret language all their own, inseparable until a terrible accident claims Esme's life. Eleanor's family is left in tatters: her mother retreats inward, seeking comfort in bottles; her father reluctantly abandons ship. Eleanor is forced to grow up more quickly than a child should, and becomes the target of her mother's growing rage. Years pass, and Eleanor's painful reality begins to unravel in strange ways. The first time it happens, she walks through a school doorway, and finds herself in a cornfield, beneath wide blue skies. When she stumbles back into her own world, time has flown by without her. Again and again, against her will, she falls out of her world and into other, stranger ones, leaving behind empty rooms and worried loved ones. One fateful day, Eleanor leaps from a cliff and is torn from her world altogether. She meets a mysterious stranger, Mea, who reveals to Eleanor the weight of her family's loss. To save her broken parents, and rescue herself, Eleanor must learn how deep the well of her mother's grief and her father's heartbreak truly goes. Esmerelda's death was not the only tragic loss in her family's fragmented history, and unless Eleanor can master her strange new abilities, it may not be the last." --… (more)
Member:flying_monkeys
Title:Eleanor
Authors:Jason Gurley (Author)
Info:New York : Broadway Books, 2017, c2014.
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:****1/2
Tags:time travel, the soul, 2017

Eleanor: A Novel by Jason Gurley

This books is insanely good! I had no idea how incredible it was going to be based off the summary. It has great detail and elaborate writing. Very imaginative! ( )
  vickimarie2002 | Feb 19, 2020 |
Wow. I was not expecting this. Dreamlike, compelling, and honest. So many adjective that could be used. I know once I entered the world of Eleanor I was reading something special -- something that doesn't come along often.
I didn't want the story to end, and yet when I reached the last page, I felt fulfilled, completed, whole.
Easily one of the best books of 2014.

I received an early copy of this book via Jason Gurley’s The Movement Newsletter

Jean_Roberts | Jul 18, 2019 |
I got this novel through the LibraryThing Early Reviewer's program. Eleanor is the story of a girl who keeps finding herself ripped from her own world with seemingly no explanation. Her family has long ago been torn apart and she struggles to figure out what is happening to her. Personally, I felt like the story jumped around too much between what was happening in several different places. It eventually all came together, but it was exhausting to me to try to follow each storyline before they were connected. I actually ended up being more interested in what was happening in Eleanor's actual life, and didn't like it when she was transported elsewhere. As the story picked up and the reader learned more, these other worlds became more interesting, but for a great deal of the book they felt more like distractions. The ending also bugged me a lot, although I will avoid spoilers. I just wish the mechanics behind what happened were better explained. Anyway, it was a fun read, but I had my issues with it. ( )
  samesfoley | Dec 26, 2018 |
This reminded me of what a really bad 'Star Trek' episode could be. Weird things are happening to Eleanor. After the death of her twin sister Esme (this is really not a spoiler, it's implied on the back cover and it should be part of various reviews), Eleanor must deal with an alcoholic mother who blames her for her sister's death and a father who just couldn't cope anymore. Then...the weird things start happening.

I don't want to get more into it because it's somewhat hard to explain. But let's just say that if you're familiar with 'Star Trek' and with science fiction in general, it's not an unusual premise in some ways, including the very end and how things are resolved.

This was a disappointment. It was released this week (and I was lucky enough that my library managed to get a copy to me ASAP!) with hype and reviews. Since it was so readily available by sheer dumb luck I decided to give it a shot. But it's a pretty weird read. The author IS a very good author. The initial set up was interesting, the relationship between Eleanor (there are two, the grandmother who opens the book and the granddaughter who is the protagonist, I'll be referring to the granddaughter) and her mother, Agnes was painful to read.

The entire family dynamic was interesting. When it starts getting into the magical realism/science fiction-ish (maybe not quite)/paranormal elements the book really falls down. I ended up skimming a lot the passages that dealt with certain characters/plot devices because too much time/space was dedicated to them. I did not mind the alternating viewpoints between various views (characters and...other elements) here, as the author is talented enough to make it work. But the magical realism got to be a little too much. I could also guess the identity of character of "Mea" surprisingly early (and I was right, which actually disappointed me since it seemed so cliche).

That said, I think the author focused a bit too much at the sacrifice for character development. I wanted to know more about Hob, Eleanor's grandfather. Or Jack, her best friend/boyfriend/etc. I wanted to spend more time with the first Eleanor and/or younger Agnes. I didn't care about Mea all that much (even when the identity was confirmed), wanted to get away from the supernatural elements.

Another review elsewhere said it was two novels squished into one and I agree with that assessment. It should have been either two separate books or a much longer tome. I would recommend borrowing it from the library or a bargain buy when it becomes available. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
At first, I found this novel to be a tad bit slow. It kept flitting between different times and places and I didn't really understand what was going on. But pushing through was worth it. A good deal of the story was full of sadness, as the author establishes the effects of the tragedy of Esmeralda's death. However, the story truly picks up when Eleanor keeps getting removed from her world and put somewhere else. I loved the journey that the story took me on and when everything was revealed, the pieces fit together beautifully. This novel is deep and definitely makes you think about what could happen if just one thing in life was changed. I really really hope you will give this novel a chance to win your heart, because I am CONFIDENT that it will! ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
Time is a river, and it flows in a circle. - Unknown
For Felicia and Emma--all the muches
She sits in the breakfast nook and watches the rain.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jason Gurley's book Eleanor was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,814,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible