Eleanor by Jason Gurley

by Jason Gurley (Author)

Member:flying_monkeys
Title:Eleanor
Authors:Jason Gurley (Author)
Info:New York : Broadway Books, 2017, c2014.
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:****1/2
Tags:time travel, the soul, 2017

Eleanor: A Novel by Jason Gurley

Reaffirms the ways in which one life affects another.

Eleanor is the story of one woman's choice and its ripple effects across the lives of her descendants. Young Eleanor’s mission, looking back through her life to find the ONE spontaneous decision that changed the lives of everyone in her family, will resonate with anyone who ever wished for a do-over.

Steeped in gritty reality - depression, alcoholism, and suicide - Eleanor propels itself into “MIND BLOWN!” territory with its use of time, dream worlds, and the afterlife. Gurley’s version of these concepts is reminiscent of books like What Dreams May Come or Einstein's Dreams, while still being its own unique, heartfelt, mystical story. Highly recommended!

4.5 stars (full review over at Unleash the Flying Monkeys!)

Received from Blogging for Books in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.

4.5 stars ( )
  flying_monkeys | Mar 31, 2017 |
If you love books that take you to worlds unparalleled, this is the one for you. The story is saddening and frustrating, but only because you find yourself invested in such a weirdly, beautiful story. You become engrossed and want things to occur in a particular manner, but when it doesn't, you ache for the main character, Eleanor. This story, Eleanor by Jason Gurley, is heart-wrenching...

Eleanor is the story of five people and two entities. All of them come together, converging around one girl who's half of herself. A Twin. Eleanor, is the surviving sister of an accident and she's broken. Her twin, Esme, the dead twin and Eleanor's other half, is trapped... someplace else. All she wants is to get home, but can she? Can Eleanor help her get there? And who is with her while she tries to break through to the other side?

I have to be careful how I speak of this story ( you know how I feel about SPOILERS). The tale is temperamental and distressing because so much is happening (all related to death) and you can see the train-wreck coming!. Its neglectful, depressing and so unhappy, but there's also hope. Lying just beneath a sheer film of disaster, you know there's a chance this can all be repaired and end on a happy note. I appreciated the enormous weight of grief from the parents as well as Eleanor, but I wanted them to find some closure. If you can fight through the sadness of the journey, you will appreciate this novel..

The tears on the cover are a true sign of what's to come, but I didn't cry. I wasn't that attached, but I was caught up enough to feel lost within within the mystery of the story, It's worth a read but understand, there will be a lot of strangeness and emotions going on. I'm moving off to the next read.📚​

The Full Review: http://bit.ly/EleanorNovel
Rating: 3 out of 5 specs
*The Goblin Crown is next.
**Novel available through Crown Publishing. ( )
  AReneeHunt | Nov 14, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I read this book months ago and have kept it sitting on my kitchen table while I debated what to write about it. I know I chose it from the Early Reviewer books because of the description, "Eleanor and Esmerelda are identical twins, inseparable until a terrible accident claims Esme's life." Twins, an accident, family relationships--right up my alley. But this book was much more than a routine story about family loss and tragedy. I have wanted to recommend it to bookish friends, but wasn't sure if they would consider it as fascinating as I did or just a bunch of New Age goofiness ("Eleanor has been ripped out of time..."). "Eleanor" by Jason Gurley pulls you in right away and takes you all kinds of places you never expected. I reveled in this book while reading it and encourage others to take a look at the work of this creative author. ( )
  akowen | Oct 15, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book has so many layers- loss, grief , anger, dysfunctional family relationships and time travel I struggled with this because at times it was confusing as to what reality the protagonist was in. I wanted to like it more I really did ( )
  cdyankeefan | Sep 7, 2016 |
This is one of those books that it's easier to review by writing about what it is not, than what it is. It's not Neil Gaiman (but it's almost that good), it's not typically YA (despite the teenage protagonists), it's not easily categorised (it's somewhere between metaphysics, magic and uhh, time travel, along with a really vivid depiction of a family failing to deal with grief and completely falling apart). And it is very, very, very good. If I had access to physical copies of this book, I would probably be that annoying friend going around pressing it into everyone's hands going "you HAVE to read this". Be warned, for the first four or five chapters, I thought the blurb was for an entirely different book heh. It's not. Bear with it. Oh yes, there's some magic stuff too. And dreams walking and time travel and dinosaurs and love and loss and grief and pain and redemption, all wrapped up in one hell of a read. Longer but no less gushing review @ Booklikes ( )
  krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |
Time is a river, and it flows in a circle. - Unknown
For Felicia and Emma--all the muches
She sits in the breakfast nook and watches the rain.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jason Gurley's book Eleanor was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,081,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible