Dead Silence by Brenda Novak

English (6)  German (1)  All languages (7)
I got totally cought up in this series. A poor mother marries a highly respected minister and returns to his town with her children. When the minister disappears, the entire town blames the family, but there is no proof of fowl play. Grace, thirteen at the minister's disappearance, returns to town in this novel. Towns people a determined to discover the truth, and Grace is determined to confront her past as goals and opinions collide. ( )
  Glenajo | May 29, 2011 |
This is the first time for me reading anything by Brenda Novak. I really like her writing style. Dead Silence is the first in the Stillwater Trilogy. The book grabbed my attention right from the start and held it right to the end. This book is a great example of a romantic suspense. I really enjoyed the characters in this book. The best part of the book was Grace’s relationship with Teddy, a little 8 year old boy that befriends her on her first day back in town. I highly recommend this book. I am looking forward to the next in the series, Dead Giveaway, which is about Clay Montgomery, Grace’s brother. ( )
  chrissywest | Jan 9, 2011 |
I don't read romantic suspense, and I don't think I will again. I don't like the feeling of waiting the entire book for something bad to happen. As for the setting of this book - Stillwater, Mississippi? It has a lot annoying, unpleasant people in high concentrations. Something must be in the water. Probably the body of the reverend who has been missing for over a decade.

The book follows Grace and her return to Stillwater, a town that abused and traumatized her. Even with a successful career, she can't get over the demons of her past. Namely, a night when she was thirteen when her stepfather, the reverend, vanished. No one else in town can let that go because they suspect Grace's family had something to do with it. They are right. But the exact circumstances of that night remain a mystery for most of the book.

The romance in the book is straightforward. The widowed and wealthy Kennedy falls for Grace, but she rebuts him, thinking that her associating with him will hurt his political career. They do make a decent couple, mainly because they are the only intelligent and decent people in the entire town. The sex scenes are very light and not graphic at all, which is fine. But there is something really aggravating when after two times in bed together - sneaking around - Grace speaks of how they shouldn't use protection because she wants his baby. Brain... cells... rotting. I hate it when women do that in books! It's just stupid and cliche and unrealistic! I know it's supposed to emphasize their true wuv and how they are destined to be together forever, but at that point I pretty much lost the remaining respect I had for this book.

Someone, please annihilate the little fictional town of Stillwater. It clearly did not pass the existence litmus test, and should be destroyed. ( )
1 vote ladycato | Aug 11, 2009 |
The perfect book for reading in a steamy bath tub, peanuts and wine on the side, when you don't want other and much preferred books to start looking wobbly and pitiful. But what started out as the perfect little book for just such an occasion, had to be carried with me on dry land (as I can't stand being in hot water for too long). Subsequently this story of flat characterisation, predicatble romance and, certainly, vile murder and intrige as well as dangerous living, became something like my neighbour's pitbull dog. Not a chance of getting around it. In some ways irresistable even. How about such heartfelt and precise takes on real life: the little insecure teenage girl having turned into the large-breasted, blue-eyed, 'never lost a case'-attorney. The popular, out of reach college boy of yesteryear now somehow transformed into the sensitive, widowed father (and still very handsome). I cannot recall whoever once gave this book to me. But she must either have it in her to be a very nasty person or a true saint indeed. ( )
  maykasahara | Jan 30, 2009 |
To Donna Hayes, Publisher and CEO of Harlequin Enterprises—a savvy, classy woman. Most readers never know the people who work so hard behind the scenes to make it possible for an author to share her stories with thousands, sometimes millions, of readers, but writers know them and appreciate them. Thank you, Donna, for navigating the tricky waters of publishing so well. It’s great to have someone I trust at the helm!
(Thanks, too, for supporting so many charitable causes, including my annual online auction to benefit diabetes research at www.brendanovak.com)
Grace Montgomery pulled to the side of the narrow country road and stared at the rambling farmhouse in which she'd grown up. Even in the heavy, blanketlike darkness of a Mississippi summer night, with only half a moon grinning eerily overhead, she could see that her older brother kept the place in good repair.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0778323285, Mass Market Paperback)

There's a body buried behind a Mississippi farmhouse

Grace Montgomery knows who it is, and she knows why it happened. She was only thirteen the night it all went wrong. And now, like then, she has no choice but to keep her mouth shut.

Grace left the town of Stillwater thirteen years ago, trying to forget, trying to make good. As an assistant D.A. in Jackson, she's finally achieved the success that was supposed to change her life. But it hasn't -- so she's come back to confront her own history. Which means returning to the farmhouse now owned by her brother and facing the people of Stillwater, a number of whom suspect the truth.

Widower Kennedy Archer is one of those people. He's running for mayor and needs to stay as far away from Grace as possible. And yet...she's an enigma he can't resist. Even though her enemies are close to finding out what really happened -- and that could ruin them both.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:37 -0400)

The Reverend Lee Barker went missing nineteen years ago. And the people of Stillwater, Mississippi, believe they know why. They're convinced he was murdered--by his stepson, Clay Montgomery. But only Clay--and his mother and sisters--can say for sure. They were the only ones there that fateful night, the only ones who know what really happened. And they're not talking. Allie McCormick is a cold-case detective from Chicago. After a particularly difficult divorce, she's returned to Stillwater with her six-year-old daughter to find the peace she once knew in her hometown, and to work for the local police force while she's starting over. But when Clay's powerful enemies join forces to put him behind bars, Allie feels duty bound to uncover the truth. Her instincts tell her he didn't murder the Reverend Lee Barker.… (more)

Brenda Novak is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible