A History of Loneliness by John Boyne

A History of Loneliness (original 2014; edition 2015)

by John Boyne (Author)

Member:Caroline_McElwee
Title:A History of Loneliness
Authors:John Boyne (Author)
Info:Black Swan (2015), Edition: 01, 480 pages
Tags:novel, Ireland, 2017

A History of Loneliness by John Boyne (2014)

English (16)  Dutch (1)  All languages (17)
A History of Loneliness: A Novel is by the great Irish contemporary writer, John Boyne. It is a timely work of fiction because it is about the priesthood and Church in Ireland with a particular emphasis on sexual abuse of children. Apparently this has been a big issue of which I have been totally unaware. Boyne's writing is superb and the story is compelling if somewhat predictable. I can't remember a writer who can tell a story with the ease and fluidity of Boyne. I urge you to read this book which I have rated with five stars. ( )
  SigmundFraud | Apr 19, 2018 |
Odran Yates is a Catholic priest in Ireland. He entered the seminary as a youth, has endured the bad times of pedophile priests, and lives with the diminished stature he and his colleagues bear. The story follows Odran throughout his career. It offers some Vatican intrigue, church politics, and insight into the result of the unnatural celibacy practiced by most priests. The corrosive effects of the widespread scandals are on almost every page. Odran’s own inaction ultimately and dramatically haunts him. ( )
  Hagelstein | Nov 26, 2017 |
Very engaging characters with reasonable depth. Interesting perspective and insight into the issues of the catholic church in the 1980s/1990s and the broader impacts. ( )
  MelbourneSharonB | May 3, 2017 |
The events unfolding over the last five years concerning sexual abuse has seen the emergence of a bitter and enraged public calling for justice to be seen to be done and to be done with immediate effect. What has made this all the more shocking is the naming of celebrities who were to many of us cherished and household names, and whose downfall was all the more dramatic. It is impossible to believe that the signs of such abuse were not present or noticed at an earlier time, the fact is it was always there and out of fear or misguided loyalties was simply ignored. In this mishmash of deceit and lies the church (and in particular the catholic church) presented itself as the face of salvation and hope when in reality it's clergy were some of the greatest perpetrators

Ordan Yates is a priest and had always wanted to be a priest since he received "the calling" at an early age. He accepts the ceremony, the conformity, the celibacy and dedicates his life to a greater being knowing whatever the pain, whatever the trial it is god's will. We travel with him back and forth from days of his youth, his intern at college, his administering to the holy pontiff during his time in Rome. We learn of the tragedy in his life; the death of his younger brother Cathal at the hands of his father William, and the demise of his beloved sister Hannah cruelly stricken with dementia from a relatively early age. He accepts with fortitude his vocation basking in the knowledge that he has the love of his young nephews Janus (now a successful author) and young Aidan. He has always been close with this childhood friend Tom Cardie but has pondered and wondered why it is that he is constantly on the move from parish to parish.

I was aware that A History of Loneliness concerned the sexual abuse of young boys when under the guardianship of those they always felt they could trust, the priests and elders of the church. John Boyne does a wonderful job of telling a difficult story and gradually introducing doubt into the mind of the reader. This must be akin to the reality of what actually occurred, the refusal to confront those in power and the inability to accept what the eyes saw but the mind did not question. In this respect and indeed in this story no one is blameless for that moment of hesitation, that moment of questioning what you refused to believe resulted in the destroyed and decimated lives of many young people. Father Yates was to make one such mistake that had devastating and far reaching consequences.

This is a wonderful story, told with such depth of feeling and a true understanding of the subject matter being explored. I cannot say how glad I was that I read, even though at times the outcome was heart breaking. Boyne successfully portrays the catholic church as an institution more concerned with its own reputation and place in the community rather than protecting the vulnerable and young, the very people who looked to God as love and his workers the priests his guardians. Highly Recommended. ( )
1 vote runner56 | Jan 28, 2017 |
A powerful book. It made me think about how I would have handled what happened. Would I have looked away or would I have spoken up? I liked how the story was woven between years. I figured out what happened early on to Ordan as well as Aidan. I was surprised that Ordan did not make the connection. Ordan has much that he had to live with as he aged. I wonder what happened to him. Well done. ( )
  Sheila1957 | May 29, 2016 |
St Thomas Aquinas considered "wilful ignorance" a grave sin against faith, and this is the indictment that Boyne builds against Odran, and against the priests who knew, might have known, must have known the reasons for some of their number being moved by the hierarchy "from Billy to Jack". Odran is named after a saint, the charioteer of St Patrick and first martyr of Ireland. This is surely ironic, for his namesake avoids confrontation wherever he can. The paedophiles are on trial at last, but the silent enablers of crime are also indicted. This scorching novel takes the reader to a wasteland, "a country of drug addicts, losers, criminals, paedophiles and incompetents", as Odran finally admits that he has not been telling us the whole story, and that the confiding tone of his voice is not to be trusted. John Boyne writes with compelling anger about the abuses of power and the dangers of submission.
added by ozzer | editThe Guardian, Helen Dunmore (Oct 3, 2014)

Life is easy to chronicle, but bewildering to practice.

E. M. Forster
I did not become ashamed of being Irish until I was well into the middle years of my life.

Father Odran Yates is a good man. Dedicated to his vocation since entering Cloncliffe College seminary at seventeen, he has lived through betrayal, controversy and public condemnation of some of his dearest friends. Through all of this, he has remained firm in his belief.

But something plagues his mind as the years pass. A feeling that there were things he didn't see, chances he missed. People he has let down. Is Father Yates as blameless as he 's always thought himself to be? And what of the Church he has given his life to?

It has taken John Boyne fifteen years and twelve novels to write  about his home country of Ireland, but he has done so now in his most powerful book yet. A History of Loneliness is a courageous, deeply moving account of a nation and a man living through a period of cataclysmic, irreversible change.

"An honorable Irish priest ... finds the church collapsing around him at a pivotal moment in its history. Propelled into the priesthood by a family tragedy, Odran Yates is full of hope and ambition. When he arrives at Clonliffe Seminary in the 1970s, it is a time in Ireland when priests are highly respected, and Odran believes that he is pledging his life to 'the good.' Forty years later, Odran's devotion is caught in revelations that shatter the Irish people's faith in the Catholic Church. He sees his friends stand trial, colleagues jailed, the lives of young parishioners destroyed, and grows nervous of venturing out in public for fear of disapproving stares and insults"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,027,541 books! | Top bar: Always visible