Keeper of the Castle by Juliet Blackwell

Keeper of the Castle (edition 2014)

by Juliet Blackwell

Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:Keeper of the Castle
Authors:Juliet Blackwell
Info:New York, New York : Obsidian, 2014.
Collections:Your library, Boxed, Working on, BOMBs
Tags:!Sale:LibAC, Fic, Mystery, __scanned, _BB_FicBoxes, _BB_Fic_10, _BB_Fic_Mystery

Keeper of the Castle by Juliet Blackwell

I cant say it enough, I love this series
  cfulton20 | Dec 5, 2018 |
I cant say it enough, I love this series
  cfulton20 | Dec 5, 2018 |
I like this series. Mel is a historical building contractor who is sensitive to ghosts- plus being a woman in a man's field.

Combine ghosts with murder, and both need to be resolved.

You could start here, but reading the past books is helpful in understanding the various relationships among the characters.

Anyway! This was a fun read, and I look forward to more in the series! ( )
  cissa | Mar 25, 2017 |
This is one of those go-to series for me, the ones I can always count on for a good story and good writing.

Mel is suckered into taking on the reconstruction of an old Scottish monastery by visions of green technology integration and a big fat check at an opportune time. Everyone else wants her on the job because not only is she competent but she can see and communicate with the ghosts haunting the project.

I enjoyed the story a lot and if it suffers at all it is only by comparison to some of the earlier books; I thought those plots, which directly involved the ghosts and their presence, more eerie and tense than this one, in which the ghosts were only tangentially involved (although frequently present). But Mel is always fun to read about and I like Graham and the rest of the characters. Ms. Blackwell has a way of introducing new characters that you like enough you wish they'd stick around, even though you know they won't.

My only real complaint: Overly repetitious need to tell the reader how dim Mel's dog is. The dog is dumb as dirt: got it the first time.

If you like cozies and ghosts but don't like having to sleep with the lights on, this one (and this series) is definitely worth trying. ( )
  murderbydeath | Nov 15, 2016 |
Although I tend not to like much of the paranormal in the books I read, Juliet Blackwell knows the one angle that I like most: haunted houses. I've enjoyed her Haunted Home Renovation series from its inception, not only for the spooky old homes, but because it's a series with a lot of meat on the bone.

Mel is a perfect heroine for a cozy series. She's quirky, smart, funny, and hard-working. Since this new job site is in a remote location, she has to pack a bag and move in. Her job isn't made any easier when she discovers that she has to deal with people who remind her of Mrs. Danvers and Nurse Ratched. To the author's credit, Danvers/Ratched do not remain mere cardboard cutouts. We can also see how good Mel is at her job by the way she gets the new crew on her side-- not an easy task when they're ready to head for the hills.

The secondary characters back Mel up perfectly, from her dad to Graham to the eccentric billionaire footing the bill for the ancient monastery to her stepson Caleb who spends his time getting in hot water.

Another aspect of this series that I enjoy is that readers always learn something relating to architecture and renovation. In Keeper of the Castle we learn how to stay true to medieval architecture while meeting modern building codes (in addition to the proper way to run a construction crew).

The mystery is strong as well. Blackwell provides plenty of misdirection to keep everyone guessing, and there's a good resolution to the ghostly subplot, which is more involved than originally thought.

I can count on Blackwell's Haunted Home Renovation series for quick, entertaining, and enlightening reads. Bring on Give Up the Ghost! ( )
  cathyskye | Sep 26, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451465806, Mass Market Paperback)

In the latest Haunted Home Renovation mystery from New York Times bestselling author Juliet Blackwell, San Francisco contractor—and reluctant ghostbuster—Mel Turner gets hired for a job that's to die for.

Lately, Mel has been worried about finding enough historic renovation work to pay the bills. But while Turner Construction is in need of a project, Mel’s boyfriend, Graham, has his hands full managing the reconstruction of an ancient building shipped over from Scotland.

With the job plagued by rumors that the stones are cursed, Graham brings in Mel to look for paranormal activity. And while the ghost of a charming Scottish clansman does seem to be hanging around the site, the real shock comes when they stumble upon a body.

When the original construction crew starts running scared, Mel brings in her team to finish the job. Now all she has to do is nail down the killer, and put the spirits to rest, before anyone else winds up heading for the highlands…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:15 -0400)

While helping her boyfriend, Graham, who is managing the stone-by-stone reconstruction of an ancient Scottish building, uncover any paranormal activity, contractor Mel Turner investigates when she finds a dead body.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,689,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible