The Perfectionists by Sara Shepard

The Perfectionists (edition 2015)

by Sara Shepard

Member:scoutlee
Title:The Perfectionists
Authors:Sara Shepard
Info:HarperTeen (2015), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:read 2015, new series 2015, Washington - Seattle, Perfectionists Series, ya mystery, audiobook 2015

The Perfectionists by Sara Shepard

The Perfectionists is a murder mystery with five pretty, wealthy girls at the center of a dark conspiracy. Sound familiar? That’s probably because The Perfectionists is the first in a likely ridiculously long series written by Sara Shepard, author of the ridiculously long series Pretty Little Liars…about five pretty, wealthy girls at the center of a dark conspiracy.

When bad boy Nolan dies at a party, not many people are sad to see him go. He’s a real jerk, and has made more than a few enemies at his swanky high school in a suburb near Seattle. Pretty Little Liars fans will no doubt liken him to the evil A, who knows people’s secrets and knows how to use them. Mackenzie, Ava, Caitlin, Julie, and Parker are among those who don’t miss Nolan one bit. In fact, they pulled a prank on him at his fatal party to get back at him for all of his wrongdoing. Nolan was passed out when they last saw him…but he wasn’t dead, was he? They didn’t kill him, did they? Murder was never part of the plan, but when local police rule Nolan’s death a suspicious homicide, the girls are thrust into the middle of a twisty, turvy murder investigation.

This fun and light whodunit is great for an easy beach read or a day by the pool. Ultra discerning readers will surely find many faults with the bland characters and the often unbelievable situations they find themselves in. And be warned: this is the first in a series, so you could be in for a long commitment if this is anything like Shepard’s Pretty Little Liars run (16 books). -EC ( )
  WhitneyYPL | Feb 9, 2016 |
It's a little hard to get into a book when the author throws 20 characters at me within the first couple of chapters. What makes it worse? Rotten character development. While each girl had their unique and interesting story, they did not have unique voices, making the story feel 'told', rather than 'experienced'.
About 3/4 of the way through, I was finally engaged in the story line, and then... Bam! The book was over with not just a cliffhanger, but with no resolution to any bit of the story.
The single reason for not 1-starring The Perfectionists? The mystery was plotted out in an interesting way. It is just too bad that I will never know how it ends since I will not be reading any further in this series. ( )
  StephLaymon | Jan 26, 2016 |
I think there are only two because 16-34 Myspace is 34 next year! ( )
  allygggggg | Dec 19, 2014 |
Five perfect girls are framed for a murder they didn't commit and must find the real killer. ( )
  ShellyPYA | Nov 3, 2014 |
Julie, Parker, Caitlin, Ava and Mackenzie all have there reasons for wanting Nolan Hotchkiss dead, he was a bully, a narcissist, a liar, thief, manipulator and all around perv. When the subject of the perfect murder arises during a group discussion they all agree Nolan is the one they would target given the chance. They plan it all out, down to the tiniest detail.

However when Nolan ends up dead and the police call foul play they are all stunned. It was hypothetical. None of them would ever really kill someone. Right?

In order to clear their names they start searching for the real killer. But a guy like Nolan has a lot of enemies and whose to say the killer isn't one of them?

I LOVED this book, yes it's like Pretty Little Liar, I can't deny that but there's a reason people love PLL so much. It's more addictive than cocaine. I joke with my sister that we'll be the little old ladies in the nursing home watching PPL hoping that "A" is revealed before one of us dies.

This book has all the nuts and bolts that made PPL, friendships, secrets, betrayal, loyalty, loss, mystery, murder and cliff hangers galore.

I think it took me maybe three hours to read this book, start to finish, I couldn't put it down for more than a couple minutes, all five girls are so unique and have their own personalities, problems and ultimately their own motive.

The only thing I would've liked to see was maybe a chapter from Nolan's point of view, we see who he was on the outside and how others perceived him (and don't get me wrong I doubt I would ever like him as a person) but I would have a liked just a couple pages told from his view point.

I walked into this book thinking it was a stand alone novel... At the end I was physically and emotionally distraught. It was so good and I just wanted the ending. The shocking, surprising, ending!

As long as you are prepared for the fact that it will probably be a decade and a half before this series is over than go ahead and pick it up but if you want an open and shut mystery this book is not for you.

Until next time,
Ginger

In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review.
My review is my honest opinion. ( )
  Ginger_reader22 | Oct 26, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062074695, Hardcover)

You don't have to be good to be perfect.

From Sara Shepard, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Pretty Little Liars, comes another series full of juicy secrets, nail-biting suspense, and beautiful girls who will do anything to hide the ugly truth.

Ava, Caitlin, Mackenzie, Julie, and Parker are all driven to be perfect—no matter the cost. At first the girls think they have nothing in common, until they discover that they all hate the same person: handsome womanizer Nolan Hotchkiss, who's done things to hurt each of them. They come up with the perfect plan to murder Nolan—jokingly, of course. They'd never actually go through with it. But when Nolan turns up dead in the exact way they'd discussed, the girls suddenly become prime suspects in his murder. Only, they didn't do it. So who did? Unless they find the real killer, and soon, their perfect lives will come crashing down around them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:00 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,436,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible