On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

On the Jellicoe Road (2006)

by Melina Marchetta

If I Stay by Gayle Forman (avalon_today)
    What I Was by Meg Rosoff (amz310783)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also Australian, also up for the Prinz, and also mesmerizing
    The Gorgon in the Gully by Melina Marchetta (Herenya)
    Herenya: This is the story of Jonah Griggs' 10 year old brother and is set during On the Jellicoe Road. It's also a lot of fun.
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (thesundaybookreport)

English (175)  Swedish (1)  All languages (176)
Esto es lo más parecido a realismo mágico que he leído en un YA, y me encantó!

La pregunta es: ¿en qué pensaba la gente de Hollywood cuando decidieron hacer la película de Looking for Alaska y no de esto? No me lo puedo explicar.

Las escenas de "guerra", el suspenso, el romance, la amistad, los personajes, la escritura, ame todo! Este libro es como Jonah Grigg: un estado de ánimo. De los que quieres que te duren por siempre. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
Excellent. Could not stop reading. A little confusing at first, but it all came together beautifully. Definitely one I would read again, and definitely one to buy. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Amazing. Difficult, complex, I actually had to take four days to read it which is about four times as long as a book this long would normally take, and still I'd have to reread it to understand all the bits and pieces. But it's gorgeous, and rich, overflowing with beauty and ugliness and mystery and oh gosh I can't say the right stuff.

I hate having to give it only four stars. But the thing is, I don't know one single person to whom I'd recommend this. And I didn't enjoy it enough to do it justice by rereading it.

Ryan Webb wrote a much better review, here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/63659307 ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Taylor Markham is the reluctant leader of her boarding school's underground movement. She fights for her girls versus the local townies and the cadets who encamp nearby. As they strategize for access to paths, the Tree of Peace (lookout), tunnels, and the club house, she must walk a fine line between advocacy and outright confrontation. In addition, Taylor has a troubled past. Her mother abandoned her at age 11; at 14, she ran away from school (only to be dragged back); her best adult friend, Hannah, has gone missing; and she's troubled by nightmares. Two divergent stories (one set in the past) converge to reveal the sadness and beauty of Jellicoe Road. This is a complex tale that this reader, for one, had trouble following (okay: too many androgynous names!) . Nonetheless, the voice is great and the plot gripping. Taylor is a great heroine and the book will appeal to good readers with a taste for adventure and pathos. ( )
  mjspear | May 20, 2016 |
This book is very hard for me to rate. The beginning was so confusing that I hardly wanted to finish reading it. The story flips between dreams, past events, and current events without much distinction. If I hadn't read so many glowing reviews, I may not have kept going. But suddenly, starting about halfway in, I couldn't put it down. All the confusion cleared up and it was a constant rush of emotions in the best way possible.

A lot of people insist that On the Jellicoe Road is amazing, a masterpiece, the best piece of literature they've ever read. I don't know if I'd go that far -- the book has a few flaws in my opinion -- but it is a good book. You just have to trudge through the frustrating first half to get to the gold at the end. ( )
  Sara.Newhouse | Feb 11, 2016 |
For Daniel and for Max
My father took one hundred and thirty-two minutes to die.

"What do you want from me?" he asks. What I want from every person in my life, I want to tell him. More.

Abandoned by her mother on Jellicoe Road when she was eleven, Taylor Markham, now seventeen, is finally being confronted with her past. But as the reluctant leader of her boarding school dorm, there isn't a lot of time for introspection. And while Hannah, the closest adult Taylor has to family, has disappeared, Jonah Griggs is back in town, moody stares and all.

In this absorbing story by Melina Marchetta, nothing is as it seems and every clue leads to more questions as Taylor tries to work out the connection between her mother dumping her, Hannah finding her then and her sudden departure now, a mysterious stranger who once whispered something in her ear, a boy in her dreams, five kids who lived on Jellicoe Road eighteen years ago, and the maddening and magnetic Jonah Griggs, who knows her better than she thinks he does. If Taylor can put together the pieces of her past, she might just be able to change her future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:15 -0400)

Abandoned by her drug-addicted mother at the age of eleven, high school student Taylor Markham struggles with her identity and family history at a boarding school in Australia.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,486,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible