On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

On the Jellicoe Road (2006)

by Melina Marchetta

If I Stay by Gayle Forman (avalon_today)
    What I Was by Meg Rosoff (amz310783)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also Australian, also up for the Prinz, and also mesmerizing
    The Gorgon in the Gully by Melina Marchetta (Herenya)
    Herenya: This is the story of Jonah Griggs' 10 year old brother and is set during On the Jellicoe Road. It's also a lot of fun.
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (thesundaybookreport)

English (165)  Swedish (1)  All languages (166)
This book started out as a 2 for me until around page 150. Until then it was quite confusing. Not having insight into the territory war until 1/3 of the way into the story made it seem weird to say the least. The last 250 pages were compelling and I finally felt a connection to the characters when they made a connection with each other. The latter part of the book deserves the 5 stars that people tend to give it, so all in all a 4 for me. ( )
  valorrmac | Aug 19, 2015 |
If there's a book in this world that I would have regretted putting down before finishing, it would be this one. On The Jellicoe Road and I started off pretty badly. I had borrowed this book from the library 2 months before and never got motivated to finish it. When I realised my due date was coming up, I decided to pick this up. It was terribly confusing at first, and I honestly could not be any more bored by the story.

I didn't understand the correlation between the two stories that were being told at the same time. I couldn't separate what was real and what was fake. (Helpful hint: Some parts of the story are Hannah's manuscript. If you're reading the ebook then it means that the parts completely italicized are the manuscript. The rest is Taylor's story).

However, Melina Marchetta had a beautiful and surreal way of writing. You couldn't help but feel as if you were in Jellicoe Road and walking through the forrest and climbing the trees. It makes me want to visit Australia even more than I already do.

“I live on the Jellicoe Road. Where trees make canopies over-head and where you can sit at the top of them and see forever.”

Also, no matter how confusing the alternating chapters are, in the end the author brings them together and honestly breaks my heart in the process.

I will not lie to you and tell you that it was easy reading this book. Taylor was annoying and selfish at times. She was standoffish most of the time and her "devil may care" attitude will get on your nerves once you start warming up to the side characters. You may think the story is slow, and yes, I won't lie. It is a pretty slow story. However once the manuscript and Taylor's life intersect, that's when I was passing the pages as fast as I could.

I formed an emotional attachment to everyone in this book (yes, even Taylor once I got to know her). I sighed and swooned over Jonah Griggs and the Brigadier. I cried my eyes out while following Taylor on this journey.

I think that this is one of those books that it is perfectly acceptable to re-read if you had a bad relationship with it at first. You’ll be sure to fall in love with it.

Overall, while it had a shaky start and a questionable main character, this book presents two stories and brings them together in a very poetic and feel-inducing way. It’s a book I’d re-read any day. ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jun 18, 2015 |
Amazing. Difficult, complex, I actually had to take four days to read it which is about four times as long as a book this long would normally take, and still I'd have to reread it to understand all the bits and pieces. But it's gorgeous, and rich, overflowing with beauty and ugliness and mystery and oh gosh I can't say the right stuff.

I hate having to give it only four stars. But the thing is, I don't know one single person to whom I'd recommend this. And I didn't enjoy it enough to do it justice by rereading it.

Ryan Webb wrote a much better review, here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/63659307 ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
LOVED this book! ( )
  michele.juza | Feb 25, 2015 |
the first 100 pages are so worth it. so worth it. push through and I guarantee that you will fall in love with every darned character. ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |
For Daniel and for Max
My father took one hundred and thirty-two minutes to die.

"What do you want from me?" he asks. What I want from every person in my life, I want to tell him. More.

Abandoned by her mother on Jellicoe Road when she was eleven, Taylor Markham, now seventeen, is finally being confronted with her past. But as the reluctant leader of her boarding school dorm, there isn't a lot of time for introspection. And while Hannah, the closest adult Taylor has to family, has disappeared, Jonah Griggs is back in town, moody stares and all.

In this absorbing story by Melina Marchetta, nothing is as it seems and every clue leads to more questions as Taylor tries to work out the connection between her mother dumping her, Hannah finding her then and her sudden departure now, a mysterious stranger who once whispered something in her ear, a boy in her dreams, five kids who lived on Jellicoe Road eighteen years ago, and the maddening and magnetic Jonah Griggs, who knows her better than she thinks he does. If Taylor can put together the pieces of her past, she might just be able to change her future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:15 -0400)

Abandoned by her drug-addicted mother at the age of eleven, high school student Taylor Markham struggles with her identity and family history at a boarding school in Australia.

187 wanted2 pay10 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,802,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible