On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

On the Jellicoe Road (2006)

by Melina Marchetta

1,274None6,150 (4.27)71
2009 (18) abandonment (31) Australia (106) Australian (19) boarding school (74) boarding schools (20) coming of age (25) contemporary (14) death (22) family (47) favorites (10) fiction (76) friendship (67) grief (14) identity (19) love (21) mystery (45) Printz (26) Printz Award (40) read (13) realistic fiction (33) relationships (16) romance (36) school (18) teen (27) teen fiction (11) to-read (66) tragedy (11) YA (97) young adult (124)
    If I Stay by Gayle Forman (avalon_today)
    What I Was by Meg Rosoff (amz310783)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also Australian, also up for the Prinz, and also mesmerizing
    The Gorgon in the Gully by Melina Marchetta (Herenya)
    Herenya: This is the story of Jonah Griggs' 10 year old brother and is set during On the Jellicoe Road. It's also a lot of fun.
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (thesundaybookreport)

English (150)  Swedish (1)  All languages (151)
This book won the Michael L. Printz Award (a high honor for YA books). A friend whose taste in YA lit runs similar to my own also rated it highly. So maybe going in I had higher than usual expectations. The book starts out in an unusual way, and the premise seemed sketchy to me. I wasn't buying it at first, but then I got sucked in. While the book, on the surface, presents an engaging suspense plot, what really sunk in were the intricate themes of family and friendship, and how all of our human relationships ultimately affect and influence us. The deeper into the book I got, the more I meditated on those themes. By the end I felt great respect for how the author had laid out the story. When writing a narrative steeped in mystery, it's not easy to know when to give out bits of information and what bits those should be. But Marchetta pulls it off with great skill, and leaves the reader with a lot to think about in the end. ( )
  S.D. | Apr 5, 2014 |
I don't usually review the books that I read. Only the extremes warrant a review. Well, here I am, reviewing On the Jellicoe Road...

But what can I say? A review can't do this masterpiece any justice. No; instead of typing up an unrefined, amateurish review, I ask that you drive (or fly, or teleport, or Apparate...so long as you get there) to the nearest library. Walk inside. Find "On the Jellicoe Road". Check out the book. Transport yourself home, and lock yourself in your room until you finish the book.

Then you'll see why I took the effort to review. ( )
  lanthanides | Mar 12, 2014 |
The only reason I am not giving this book 5 stars is because I honestly felt like giving up in the beginning. I couldn't keep up with the story at first, and it seemed like it would never get interesting. I stuck it out because all the reviews said that if you feel like giving up, wait until at least a hundred pages in.
After trudging through the beginning of the book, and reaching that hundred page mark, it all started coming together. I'm really glad I didn't give up on this book. It was wonderful.
So, anyone who is just starting this book and wanting to give it up, don't do it. It's worth the read. ( )
  raisedbybooks | Mar 12, 2014 |
I gave it 4 stars because for me it was an inconsistent book. It started as a very young adult novel, 2 teens in love but they're in denial, blah blah blah. The same old story that didn't quite sit well with me. The story of Taylor and Jonah is also connected with the story of 5 friends. Now, the story of Webb, Narnie, Tate, Fitz and the Cadet guy (what's his name again) is something that really made me read the book. Their story made me cry. Its a book that does not end happily (depends on who is reading). Its a story of hope (as cliche as it may sound) and love. Its not the book I expected, it was a lot more. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Mar 10, 2014 |
I'm super picky about the narrators of audio books, but this one wasn't too bad. Her male voices sometimes sounded a bit silly, but she had a nice voice for the ladies. She's not up to a Graffiti Moon level of awesomeness (best audio book I've ever listened to), but she did keep me awake and focused during a drive there and back to Chicago all in one day. ( )
  Cailiosa | Mar 4, 2014 |
For Daniel and for Max
My father took one hundred and thirty-two minutes to die.

"What do you want from me?" he asks. What I want from every person in my life, I want to tell him. More.

Abandoned by her mother on Jellicoe Road when she was eleven, Taylor Markham, now seventeen, is finally being confronted with her past. But as the reluctant leader of her boarding school dorm, there isn't a lot of time for introspection. And while Hannah, the closest adult Taylor has to family, has disappeared, Jonah Griggs is back in town, moody stares and all.

In this absorbing story by Melina Marchetta, nothing is as it seems and every clue leads to more questions as Taylor tries to work out the connection between her mother dumping her, Hannah finding her then and her sudden departure now, a mysterious stranger who once whispered something in her ear, a boy in her dreams, five kids who lived on Jellicoe Road eighteen years ago, and the maddening and magnetic Jonah Griggs, who knows her better than she thinks he does. If Taylor can put together the pieces of her past, she might just be able to change her future.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:10 -0400)

Abandoned by her drug-addicted mother at the age of eleven, high school student Taylor Markham struggles with her identity and family history at a boarding school in Australia.

273 wanted2 pay10 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,503,303 books! | Top bar: Always visible