On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

On the Jellicoe Road (2006)

by Melina Marchetta

Recently added byainjel, shauneeh, phoibee, benuathanasia, Emathison, private library, chronic, cptnkt, Pigletto, anneofia
    If I Stay by Gayle Forman (avalon_today)
    What I Was by Meg Rosoff (amz310783)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also Australian, also up for the Prinz, and also mesmerizing
    The gorgon in the gully by Melina Marchetta (Herenya)
    Herenya: This is the story of Jonah Griggs' 10 year old brother and is set during On the Jellicoe Road. It's also a lot of fun.
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (thesundaybookreport)

English (180)  Swedish (1)  All (181)
This took way too long to get started. Ever read The Golden Compass? Remember the brief scenes of warfare between the Oxford kids, the townies, the Gyptians, and the brick burners' children? It was like someone decided that needed to be its own story. Interwoven through that boring plot is interesting conspiracy theories about a serial killer and the mystery of the missing Hannah. None of this really gets to a point of interest until the last few pages. ( )
  benuathanasia | Apr 20, 2017 |
I'm having a hard time getting into this one. I'll try again later.
  annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |
There isn't much for me to add about this book that hasn't already been said in reviews by Penny, Tatiana, or Kat, so I will keep it short. This book is seriously amazing. At the start, I was a bit confused, and even maybe a bit "meh" but once it heated up, sweet baby jeebus.... I cannot remember the last time I ended a book with a box of kleenex, sobbing my eyes out (in a good way!!! Like, faith-in-humanity-restored, life-is-beautiful-type of way). I strongly recommend this book to anyone, even folks who don't normally read YA. ( )
  khinman7 | Feb 6, 2017 |
It took me awhile to figure out what was going on in this book. There are related stories from the past and present being told at the same time. Also, the present has a lot of different aspects. It all connects and wraps up beautifully. Even though it wasn’t immediate love, since it took a bit for all the details to connect for me, I ending this story loving it. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
For Daniel and for Max
My father took one hundred and thirty-two minutes to die.

"What do you want from me?" he asks. What I want from every person in my life, I want to tell him. More.

Abandoned by her mother on Jellicoe Road when she was eleven, Taylor Markham, now seventeen, is finally being confronted with her past. But as the reluctant leader of her boarding school dorm, there isn't a lot of time for introspection. And while Hannah, the closest adult Taylor has to family, has disappeared, Jonah Griggs is back in town, moody stares and all.

In this absorbing story by Melina Marchetta, nothing is as it seems and every clue leads to more questions as Taylor tries to work out the connection between her mother dumping her, Hannah finding her then and her sudden departure now, a mysterious stranger who once whispered something in her ear, a boy in her dreams, five kids who lived on Jellicoe Road eighteen years ago, and the maddening and magnetic Jonah Griggs, who knows her better than she thinks he does. If Taylor can put together the pieces of her past, she might just be able to change her future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:15 -0400)

Abandoned by her drug-addicted mother at the age of eleven, high school student Taylor Markham struggles with her identity and family history at a boarding school in Australia.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,890,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible