On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

On the Jellicoe Road (2006)

by Melina Marchetta

If I Stay by Gayle Forman (avalon_today)
    What I Was by Meg Rosoff (amz310783)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also Australian, also up for the Prinz, and also mesmerizing
    The Gorgon in the Gully by Melina Marchetta (Herenya)
    Herenya: This is the story of Jonah Griggs' 10 year old brother and is set during On the Jellicoe Road. It's also a lot of fun.
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (thesundaybookreport)

English (172)  Swedish (1)  All languages (173)
This book is very hard for me to rate. The beginning was so confusing that I hardly wanted to finish reading it. The story flips between dreams, past events, and current events without much distinction. If I hadn't read so many glowing reviews, I may not have kept going. But suddenly, starting about halfway in, I couldn't put it down. All the confusion cleared up and it was a constant rush of emotions in the best way possible.

A lot of people insist that On the Jellicoe Road is amazing, a masterpiece, the best piece of literature they've ever read. I don't know if I'd go that far -- the book has a few flaws in my opinion -- but it is a good book. You just have to trudge through the frustrating first half to get to the gold at the end. ( )
  Sara.Newhouse | Feb 11, 2016 |
I found this hard to follow and the story uncompelling. I think the Australian vernacular might have thrown me off. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
This book jumps from what happened 18 years ago between a group of five friends and what is happening now between the Townies, the Jellicoe school kids and The Cadets. The leaders of the three groups bond as they help Taylor, the leader of the Jellicoe school find out about her past and her connection to the the five friends.

Loved reading this. Loved watching Taylor and Jonah connect, loved seeing Santangelo and Raffy try to come to terms with each other. Loved watching Taylor grow into being a leader and stop keeping everyone at arms length. ( )

For Daniel and for Max
My father took one hundred and thirty-two minutes to die.

"What do you want from me?" he asks. What I want from every person in my life, I want to tell him. More.

Abandoned by her mother on Jellicoe Road when she was eleven, Taylor Markham, now seventeen, is finally being confronted with her past. But as the reluctant leader of her boarding school dorm, there isn't a lot of time for introspection. And while Hannah, the closest adult Taylor has to family, has disappeared, Jonah Griggs is back in town, moody stares and all.

In this absorbing story by Melina Marchetta, nothing is as it seems and every clue leads to more questions as Taylor tries to work out the connection between her mother dumping her, Hannah finding her then and her sudden departure now, a mysterious stranger who once whispered something in her ear, a boy in her dreams, five kids who lived on Jellicoe Road eighteen years ago, and the maddening and magnetic Jonah Griggs, who knows her better than she thinks he does. If Taylor can put together the pieces of her past, she might just be able to change her future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:15 -0400)

Abandoned by her drug-addicted mother at the age of eleven, high school student Taylor Markham struggles with her identity and family history at a boarding school in Australia.

283 wanted3 pay11 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,256,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible