Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Jellicoe Road (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Melina Marchetta

1,8011955,825 (4.23)97
Member:PAKelley
Title:Jellicoe Road
Authors:Melina Marchetta
Info:HarperTeen (2008), Hardcover, 432 pages
Collections:YA
Rating:***

On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (2006)

If I Stay by Gayle Forman (avalon_today)
    What I Was by Meg Rosoff (amz310783)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also Australian, also up for the Prinz, and also mesmerizing
    The Gorgon in the Gully by Melina Marchetta (Herenya)
    Herenya: This is the story of Jonah Griggs' 10 year old brother and is set during On the Jellicoe Road. It's also a lot of fun.
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (thesundaybookreport)

English (193)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (195)
I liked this book, but I didn't love it. There was a great story in there, but it was coated in layers and layers of over-the-top drama and unbelievable events.

This book opens with Taylor, abandoned by her mother in a boarding school on Jellicoe Road, becoming the school leader in the war against the "cadets" and the "townies". This is a really cool idea, and it brings some playful fun to the novel. And true-to-form, Marchetta puts together an awesome cast of characters, that feel real and form such amazing connections with each other. Each feels unique without simply being "quirky".

But throughout the book, Taylor also learns about a group of kids that used to go to live in Jellicoe before she was even born. Thus follows a series of revelations of unbelievable connections between Taylor & the group, which she takes forever to realise, but that's pretty obvious to the reader much sooner. This part kind of ruined the story a little for me, because it broke away from the "realism" that Marchetta usually brings to her novels, and felt out of place.

I would have given this book 5 stars if it had slowed down a little, and cut out half of the drama/so-called "mystery".

Nevertheless, I would still recommend that you read this book, because it has a lot to offer. Just be a little patient with it. ( )
  Sweet_Serenity | Mar 14, 2019 |

Once you get past the initial confusion on what is actually going on, a beautiful story about the power of family unveils itself. ( )
  jawink22 | Feb 6, 2019 |
While it takes its time to reach a conclusion, On the Jellicoe Road is authentically Australian, and showcases Marchetta's skill in crafting a layered young adult mystery that builds to an intense series of final chapters. ( )
  barda90 | Jan 11, 2019 |
This was my favorite book from 7th- to like 10th grade. It is a little bit harder to follow because it is a more complicated book and the format itself is a bit hard to grasp so I would save it for older kids. Other than that is a great book to read for the sake of reading. I wouldn't necessarily say it has a major literary value but it is a great book with a lot of good vocab for older kids ( )
  s_cat1 | Nov 26, 2018 |
This book was mot amazing. But it was. because it wasn't. Am I making any sort of sense?

What I'm saying is, I DEFINITELY see why people love this book. The answer, of course, is Jonah Griggs. And Taylor. And Raffy. And Santangelo. And just ALL THE PEOPLES.

The characters were all so real and lovable.

Also, the territory wars were REALLY cool. If there hadn't been something action-y like that, I would've have quit reading this ten pages in.

As it is, I was VERY confused for about the whole first half of this book. I was confused about the Territory Wars, but I caught on. And I was SUPER confused about the alternating timeline perspectives, until Taylor told us that was Hannah's manuscript and then I was, "Oh, that makes sense."

Anyway, just all the feels.
And JONAH GRIGGS. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
For Daniel and for Max
My father took one hundred and thirty-two minutes to die.

"What do you want from me?" he asks. What I want from every person in my life, I want to tell him. More.

Abandoned by her mother on Jellicoe Road when she was eleven, Taylor Markham, now seventeen, is finally being confronted with her past. But as the reluctant leader of her boarding school dorm, there isn't a lot of time for introspection. And while Hannah, the closest adult Taylor has to family, has disappeared, Jonah Griggs is back in town, moody stares and all.

In this absorbing story by Melina Marchetta, nothing is as it seems and every clue leads to more questions as Taylor tries to work out the connection between her mother dumping her, Hannah finding her then and her sudden departure now, a mysterious stranger who once whispered something in her ear, a boy in her dreams, five kids who lived on Jellicoe Road eighteen years ago, and the maddening and magnetic Jonah Griggs, who knows her better than she thinks he does. If Taylor can put together the pieces of her past, she might just be able to change her future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:15 -0400)

Abandoned by her drug-addicted mother at the age of eleven, high school student Taylor Markham struggles with her identity and family history at a boarding school in Australia.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,352,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible