Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Jellicoe Road (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Melina Marchetta

Member:lovemybooks
Title:Jellicoe Road
Authors:Melina Marchetta
Info:HarperTeen (2008), Hardcover, 432 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Read in 2012, YA

On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (2006)

If I Stay by Gayle Forman (avalon_today)
    What I Was by Meg Rosoff (amz310783)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also Australian, also up for the Prinz, and also mesmerizing
    The Gorgon in the Gully by Melina Marchetta (Herenya)
    Herenya: This is the story of Jonah Griggs' 10 year old brother and is set during On the Jellicoe Road. It's also a lot of fun.
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (thesundaybookreport)

English (164)  Swedish (1)  All languages (165)
Amazing. Difficult, complex, I actually had to take four days to read it which is about four times as long as a book this long would normally take, and still I'd have to reread it to understand all the bits and pieces. But it's gorgeous, and rich, overflowing with beauty and ugliness and mystery and oh gosh I can't say the right stuff.

I hate having to give it only four stars. But the thing is, I don't know one single person to whom I'd recommend this. And I didn't enjoy it enough to do it justice by rereading it.

Ryan Webb wrote a much better review, here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/63659307 ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
LOVED this book! ( )
  michele.juza | Feb 25, 2015 |
the first 100 pages are so worth it. so worth it. push through and I guarantee that you will fall in love with every darned character. ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |
Very interesting structure and strong voice.
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
Book #4 of #readathon finished! ( )
  What_Katie_Read | Dec 1, 2014 |
For Daniel and for Max
My father took one hundred and thirty-two minutes to die.

"What do you want from me?" he asks. What I want from every person in my life, I want to tell him. More.

Abandoned by her mother on Jellicoe Road when she was eleven, Taylor Markham, now seventeen, is finally being confronted with her past. But as the reluctant leader of her boarding school dorm, there isn't a lot of time for introspection. And while Hannah, the closest adult Taylor has to family, has disappeared, Jonah Griggs is back in town, moody stares and all.

In this absorbing story by Melina Marchetta, nothing is as it seems and every clue leads to more questions as Taylor tries to work out the connection between her mother dumping her, Hannah finding her then and her sudden departure now, a mysterious stranger who once whispered something in her ear, a boy in her dreams, five kids who lived on Jellicoe Road eighteen years ago, and the maddening and magnetic Jonah Griggs, who knows her better than she thinks he does. If Taylor can put together the pieces of her past, she might just be able to change her future.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:10 -0400)

Abandoned by her drug-addicted mother at the age of eleven, high school student Taylor Markham struggles with her identity and family history at a boarding school in Australia.

273 wanted2 pay10 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,888,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible