Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Jellicoe Road (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Melina Marchetta

Member:lovemybooks
Title:Jellicoe Road
Authors:Melina Marchetta
Info:HarperTeen (2008), Hardcover, 432 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Read in 2012, YA

On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (2006)

If I Stay by Gayle Forman (avalon_today)
    What I Was by Meg Rosoff (amz310783)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also Australian, also up for the Prinz, and also mesmerizing
    The Gorgon in the Gully by Melina Marchetta (Herenya)
    Herenya: This is the story of Jonah Griggs' 10 year old brother and is set during On the Jellicoe Road. It's also a lot of fun.
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (thesundaybookreport)

English (161)  Swedish (1)  All languages (162)
Don't you hate when you read a popular books and *eek* you don't like it as much? I kept trying with this book. The first 150 pages will probably make your head spin trying to figure out what the heck is going on. It's not a bad book it just was one I could not connect with. Jonah Griggs and Taylor Markham are decent characters so that wasn't the problem. I just never connected.

The author can write so I'm trying her again in another book.
Hey book It's not you..It's me.
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
I've been hearing about the epicness of this book forever. At 18%, that epicness is nowhere in sight.

War games? Not quite what I signed up for. I don't even know.

Not gonna rate it just yet, as I may try this again later this year.

Perhaps.
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
I love Melina Marchetta. The emotions in her books are so powerful, and even though I felt a little lost in the beginning of this one, by the time I got halfway through I was so invested in the characters and the story I felt lost to the book. There is so much about this book that I want to express, but there are other reviews that say everything so much better than I could, so go read them (Maggie Stiefvater's especially), and then go read this book. Can't wait to get my hands on The Piper's Son, although then that means I have no more Marchetta to read until she comes out with something new... ( )
  bookwormam | Jul 8, 2014 |
Esto es lo más parecido a realismo mágico que he leído en un YA, y me encantó!

La pregunta es: ¿en qué pensaba la gente de Hollywood cuando decidieron hacer la película de Looking for Alaska y no de esto? No me lo puedo explicar.

Las escenas de "guerra", el suspenso, el romance, la amistad, los personajes, la escritura, ame todo! Este libro es como Jonah Grigg: un estado de ánimo. De los que quieres que te duren por siempre. ( )
  Glire | Jul 7, 2014 |
It is astonishing how much tragedy the author was able to lay on this reader without losing me entirely.

Taylor Markham's past is a mystery she has yet to solve. She was abandoned by her mother at age eleven on Jellicoe Road, and she's spent every moment since holding the world at arm's length. On the verge of adulthood, in the summer before her last year at the Jellicoe School, leadership is thrust upon her by the departing upperclassmen. Taylor will have to find a way to lead her school in defending their territories from the rival factions of Townies and Cadets with little support from her peers and the only familial figure she's ever known suddenly vanished. As she unravels the story of her own origin, Taylor discovers the root of the Jellicoe rivalry and a lifeline to her future.

This is one of those books that I had picked up many times and put down without reading just as many. The red-orange poppy against the verdant background on the cover is eye-catching, and I had heard good things about it, but the blurb always left me cold. Now I understand why. This book is so unlike any I've ever read, with many plots running parallel to one another like meandering creeks and bubbling streams that all eventually feed into one crashing river. It defies blurbing. Taylor Markham is a living, breathing character who jumps off the page and smashes around being hard to love precisely because she needs it so desperately. What's more remarkable, the book is filled with a dozen or more characters just as vivid. Her struggle to lead and uncover her past is interspersed with the story of a group of five kids bound by tragedy who once lived at the Jellicoe School. The novel leaps more and more frequently between these three threads until they all come together into one painfully beautiful whole.

I honestly don't think I could do it justice no matter how long I explain it, so I will try to sum up the feeling it gave me. The movie Stand By Me, based on the Stephen King novella The Body, is a story about youth and friendship and love and family and pain and grief and summertime. Jellicoe Road is a lot like that. ( )
  ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
For Daniel and for Max
My father took one hundred and thirty-two minutes to die.

"What do you want from me?" he asks. What I want from every person in my life, I want to tell him. More.

Abandoned by her mother on Jellicoe Road when she was eleven, Taylor Markham, now seventeen, is finally being confronted with her past. But as the reluctant leader of her boarding school dorm, there isn't a lot of time for introspection. And while Hannah, the closest adult Taylor has to family, has disappeared, Jonah Griggs is back in town, moody stares and all.

In this absorbing story by Melina Marchetta, nothing is as it seems and every clue leads to more questions as Taylor tries to work out the connection between her mother dumping her, Hannah finding her then and her sudden departure now, a mysterious stranger who once whispered something in her ear, a boy in her dreams, five kids who lived on Jellicoe Road eighteen years ago, and the maddening and magnetic Jonah Griggs, who knows her better than she thinks he does. If Taylor can put together the pieces of her past, she might just be able to change her future.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:10 -0400)

Abandoned by her drug-addicted mother at the age of eleven, high school student Taylor Markham struggles with her identity and family history at a boarding school in Australia.

273 wanted2 pay10 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,304,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible