The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam by…

The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam (1984)

by Barbara W. Tuchman

Series: The Mirror of the Past (2)

Recently added bymegamorg, bmlane, verite, cherwell, flintbayou, bitterlemon, sneeuwvlokje, private library, jpmontz, Berr
    Papal Sin: Structures of Deceit by Garry Wills (rakerman)
    rakerman: I was interested to read the section on the Renaissance Popes as it reminded me of Garry Wills book Papal Sin: Structures of Deceit.

English (20)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (21)
A highly readable account of four instances of human folly over the last 2800 years. These include the Trojans's unaccountable bringing of the Trojan horse into Troy; the transgressions of the Renaissance Popes which brought on the Reformation; the loss by Britain of the American colonies; and America's own pointless war in Vietnam. The last section reminds me very much of Neil Sheehan's Bright Shining Lie, which was written several years later than Tuchman's narrative. Her book is vivid, clear, unfussy, with just the right density of diction. It never flags. Highly recommended. ( )
  William345 | Jun 11, 2014 |
An important lesson about human nature, especially human nature in groups: they don't always act in their own self-interest. Such as a war in Iraq... ( )
  KirkLowery | Mar 4, 2014 |
Here Folly is defined by Ms. Tuchman as a pursuit of policy contrary to self-interest and must meet three criteria: it must have been seen as counter-productive at the time; a feasible alternative must have been available; and it must have been action by a group rather than an individual that extended beyond one political lifetime, for example, a succession of office holders. She uses four historical periods to illustrate "folly': the Trojan War, the Renaissance Popes in the period before the Reformation, the events precipitating the American Revolution, and the escalating involvement of the U.S. in Vietnam.

While the whole book was interesting, the Renaissance era was the hardest for me to follow because I wasn't very familiar with the people and events the author was covering. The section on the British loosing its colonies was the most enjoyable and the one on Vietnam the most maddening since I lived through it and while I knew it was a stupid war at the time, she had amassed a lot of details that I wasn't aware of. This book was very detailed and would work best for those who want all the facts rather than a brief overview. Also be aware that "Folly" was published in 1984 so an accounting of the Vietnam War written today migh
1 vote hailelib | Dec 16, 2013 |
Two things distracted me from the author's point: One, I read it 30 years on and the early '80s mindset felt alien and distant. Two, the narrator's pronunciation. The VattieCAN. Marry-land. "Congress" with the stress for a verb even if it served as a noun. Tuchman has a whole section on the Renaissance popes and every time the narrator named their city I responded, "The Vatican't?" ( )
  ljhliesl | May 21, 2013 |
Essential reading. The Vietnam section was so very hard to read because we're still making all the same mistakes. ( )
2 vote idyll | Apr 9, 2013 |

Barbara W. Tuchmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tromp, Bartmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
May, NadiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"And I can see no reason why anyone should suppose that in the future the same motifs already heard will not be sounding still...put to use by reasonable men to reasonable ends, or by madmen to nonsense and disaster." -- Joseph Campbell, Forward to The Masks of God: Primitive Mythology, 2969
A phenomenon noticeable throughout history regardless of place or period is the pursuit by government of policies contrary to their own interests.

Twice a winner of the Pulitzer Prize, author Barbara Tuchman now tackles the pervasive presence of folly in governments through the ages. Defining folly as the pursuit by governments of policies contrary to their own interersts, despite the availability of feasible alternatives, Tuchman details four decisive turning points in history that illustrate the very heights of folly in government: the Trojan War, the breakup of the Holy See provoked by the Renaissance Popes, the loss of the American colonies by Britain's George III, and the United States' persistent folly in Vietnam. THE MARCH OF FOLLY brings the people, places, and events of history magnificently alive for today's reader.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:04 -0400)

Examines the irrationalities of governments through analysis of four crises of history--the fall of Troy, the Renaissance popes' provocation of the Protestant Reformation, Britain's loss of the American colonies, and America's involvement in Vietnam.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,051,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible