The Mauritius command by Patrick O'Brian

The Mauritius command (original 1977; edition 2009)

by Patrick O'Brian, Neil Gower (Illustrator)

Member:elenchus
Title:The Mauritius command
Authors:Patrick O'Brian
Other authors:Neil Gower (Illustrator)
Info:London : Folio Society, 2009.
Collections:Your library, Folio Society
Tags:2012-04, nautical, FIC

The Mauritius Command by Patrick O'Brian (1977)

English (30)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (33)
Book number four in O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series, set on the high seas during the Napoleonic Wars. This time, the intrepid Captain Aubrey is given command of a squadron of ships and directed to attempt to take the island of Mauritius from the French.

My one problem with this book is pretty much the same as with the previous books in the series: I have a lot of trouble following the action. I thought maybe I was getting better at that, but I'm not. It doesn't help that this one features a much larger number of ships and ships' captains to keep straight, either. Especially when a couple of the captains have similar names, and several of the British ships have French names, and ships seemed to be getting captured and changing hands almost constantly... At some point, I may have given up on ever being entirely clear just who was on what side. In fairness to O'Brian, though, he was being historically accurate, and I was being pretty dense. Which I often am about military action scenes. Still, it was a bit frustrating.

Fortunately, this one also features the things I liked best about the earlier volumes. There is, perhaps, a bit less emphasis on Aubrey and Maturin and their friendship, but there's still some pretty good character stuff. There's also a lot of wonderful, droll humor. Nothing nearly as laugh-out-loud funny as the sloth incident from the previous book -- I'll be surprised if the series ever tops that -- but a lot of quietly amusing moments.

I will definitely be carrying on with this series, in any case, even if I am making my way through it very slowly. ( )
  bragan | Sep 2, 2014 |
When the fourth book of the Aubrey-Maturin series begins, Jack Aubrey is land-bound at his cottage in England. Married life is agreeing with him, overall, and yet ... he misses the ocean, the cottage is overcrowded, and he's living on half wages. Stephen shows up and soon, they have a mission which will send them halfway around the world to Mauritius to fight the French again.

The strengths:

As always, the friendship between Jack and Stephen
O'Brian's wonderful descriptions of everything; I could feel the bustling claustrophobia of Jack's cottage
Stephen's often-thwarted attempts to collect wildlife specimens in the exotic places he visits

The weaknesses:

With Jack often being at a distance from the action, it wasn't as exciting
Somehow, the book's pacing felt odd - both rushed and with long periods of not much happening

It was a good book, not stellar. But it's a long series, and HMS Surprise was absolutely wonderful, so this one suffers in comparison.

Recommended for: anyone already embarked on the series, fans of buddy road-movies

Quote: "'The coffee has a damned odd taste.'
'This I attribute to the excrement of rats. Rats have eaten our entire stock; and I take the present brew to be a mixture of the scrapings at the bottom of the sack.'
'I thought it had a familiar tang,' said Jack." ( )
  ursula | Jun 3, 2014 |
If I had started with this one, I never would have picked up another. I couldn't make sense of the action--it was either overly summarized, or maybe occurring off screen and never explained, I'm not even sure what, because I just couldn't follow it. In the previous books, you are in the action minute by minute, and even if, like Stephen Maturin or myself, you don't know a forecastle from a mizzenmast, you get what is going on. Here, I still don't know what happened. Throw in a captain who was murdered and tossed overboard off screen and you have to wonder, why bother to tell this story if you are not going to show it? ( )
1 vote read.to.live | Oct 5, 2013 |
Read this on the way back from a recent trip to Europe (and through post-trip jet lag). OK, I'm hooked! What's most compelling is [a:Patrick O'Brian|5600|Patrick O'Brian|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1212630063p2/5600.jpg]'s portrayal of mastery, in this case of the intricacies of commanding an 18th century British navy frigate and sailing ship. Could probably have a bit more Moby Dick type blood-and-guts, though in its understated way it shares plenty of the gory details of life at sea.

This is now my main source on the British capture of Mauritius from the French, one of the more interesting such conquests I know about. [The book doesn't deal with the aftermath: the British retained control of Mauritius (ceding Réunion back to the French after the end of the Napoleonic Wars), the original bargain at surrender held, giving the Mauritians the right to retain the French language, etc. To this day Mauritius is French-dominant multilingual, with English the language of government and administration.]

While I am unlikely to get a DVD of Russell Crowe as [b:Master and Commander|17766|Master and Commander (Aubrey/Maturin Book 1)|Patrick O'Brian|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1166853769s/17766.jpg|722040], I do at least have an easy choice anytime I'm looking for airline/summertime/jetlag/just-want-a-good-read reading... the other umpteen volumes in this series! Had no idea that [a:Patrick O'Brian|5600|Patrick O'Brian|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1212630063p2/5600.jpg] was such a literatus as well - translator of Simone de Beauvoir of all things! ( )
  Katong | Apr 14, 2013 |
Oh, I just rediscovered this, and god, I love it. I love Stephen Maturin so much. O'Brien captures the C.19 tone beautifully, and manages to insert exposition without being heavy-handed about it. ( )
  cricketbats | Mar 31, 2013 |

Patrick O'Brianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hunt, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tull, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiberg, CarlaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mary Renault, glauk' eis Athenas. [Note: the Greek phrase means 'owls to Athens', the Greek equivalent of 'coals to Newcastle'.]
Captain Aubrey of the Royal Navy lived in a part of Hampshire well supplied with sea-officers, some of whom had reached flag-rank in Rodney's day while others were still waiting for their first command.
A conquering race, in the place of that conquest, is rarely amiable; the conquerors pay less obviously than the conquered, but perhaps in time they pay even more heavily, in the loss of the humane qualities. Hard, arrogant, profit-seeking adventurers flock to the spoil, and the natives, though outwardly civil, contemplate them with a resentment mingled with contempt, while at the same time respecting the face of conquest -- acknowledging their greater strength. And to be divided between the two must lead to a strange confusion of sentiment. [139: Maturin, in his journal]
Once below and free of good mornings right and left, he went straight to sleep, with barely a pause between laying his long wet hair on the pillow and unconsciousness; and fast asleep he remained, in spite of the rumbling boots of a regiment of soldiers and the din inseparable from working the ship, until the faint tinkle of a teaspoon told some layer of his mind that coffee was ready. He sprang up, looked at the barometer, shook his head, dipped his face into a kid of tepid water, shaved, ate a hearty breakfast, and appeared on deck, fresh, pink, and ten years younger. [187: of Aubrey on the eve of battle]

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 039330762X, Paperback)

Ashore without a command--and on half-pay to boot--Jack Aubrey's prayers are answered when Stephen Maturin shows up with a secret mission for him. The two men have been ordered to the Cape of Good Hope. There they hope to dislodge the French garrisons on the islands of Mauritius and La Reunion. Alas, two of their own colleagues--a dilettante and a martinet--prove to be nearly as great an obstacle as the French themselves.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:28 -0400)

During the Napoleonic wars, British naval captain Jack Aubrey, charged with capturing the French islands of Reunion and Mauritius, must first cope with his fellow commanders

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

W.W. Norton

Two editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 039330762X, 0393037045

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,024,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible